London pollution & ULEZ

Soldato

Good video demonstrating that folks who say that London as a whole is filthy when in reality it's not.

There are also plenty of statistics that show that London air quality is not miles behind a small little village in the middle of the UK.

People who don't live here in London don't realise that the air quality is pretty clean.

The underground is filthy though and would suggest people do wear fpp3 masks

Soldato
OP
Well, I live in quite a large village in the middle of the country, and can certainly say that the air quality is worse in London.You can actually taste it, and it's disgusting. I assume people that live there are immune to it now though...
I think what you can taste is the kebab lurking in the air ;)

No honesty there has been factual data that proves you are incorrect though and even the video above shows actual reading of London air quality.

Man of Honour
I've lived in or near London and worked in London all my life. London definitely has more pollution than outside of London. However, it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be in the 70s and 80s. It is definitely a lot better than then.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I live in quite a large village in the middle of the country, and can certainly say that the air quality is worse in London.You can actually taste it, and it's disgusting. I assume people that live there are immune to it now though...

Problems with the countryside number 1: for at least a month of the year liquid excrement is sprayed everywhere and then it dries and still stinks :D

Man of Honour
I dunno about these days but I was going back and forth between rural Somerset and London quite a bit in the early 2000s and there was a noticeable difference in the air quality (not just the stench of cow **** back in Somerset which takes a couple of weeks before you stop noticing :s).

Soldato

This really

Live by the sea, travel to London and you really notice it.

On paper & report it's ok. Cleaner than many other large cities.

In reality, it's not even close to non city living.

Caporegime

I will write similar to here as I did in the other thread. With the caveat I haven't been to London in years.

Yeah for sure you can smell it.
You dont get this in village or even towns. It doesn't take long to adjust, but that initial impact of the fumes is really noticeable.

Last edited:
Soldato
London is definitely getting better as the years go on. It used to be dreadful.

On the ULEZ issue, I think having a normal congestion charge with a sliding scale of costs should be introduced, taking into account inner London and outer London and how polluting the vehicle is. I'm not a fan of the exempt classic cars with their high exhaust pollutants being permitted for free.

Caporegime
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Soldato
No amount of videos is going to convince me I don't have black dust lining the inside of my nose when I've visited London over the years, something that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Really? I've lived in London most of my life and don't get "black dust" in my nose or anywhere else. I do recall in the 80s that the net curtains and window sills we stained within a week of cleaning, something which doesn't really happen now

Back
Top Bottom