Long purple line on my monitor ? :(

Soldato
I turned my monitor on a few minutes ago and it flashed and then when I got on to the desktop a purple/black line appeared from the top to the bottom on the right hand side of the screen roughly 1-2 pixels wide.

I've tried the screen on 3 different PC's with DP and HDMI and it's still there, Borked screen or is there some type of fix and explanation for this ?

Example below -

w1iGsyh.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you've tried it on three different PC's and the line is in exactly the same place on all three then yes, I'm afraid it's borked. Got Warranty?

Caporegime
If you've only had it 2 days then I would be expecting the retailer to offer a straight swap or refund. They may try and palm you off to the manufacturer but your contract of sale is with them, not the manufacturer.

Caporegime
No.

It is the monitor. I have one in the cupboard which has had a purple line like that, in almost the same place, for years.

Take it back. :)

Its like a stuck pixel, but a whole column of them.

Soldato
OP
No.

It is the monitor. I have one in the cupboard which has had a purple line like that, in almost the same place, for years.

Take it back. :)

Its like a stuck pixel, but a whole column of them.

Thanks for the reply, You sure a BSOD couldn't cause this just say from a bad GPU overclock on a 980 and a sudden short going through the display port cable or is that not possible ?

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply, You sure a BSOD couldn't cause this just say from a bad GPU overclock on a 980 and a sudden short going through the display port cable or is that not possible ?

There is zero chance that a BSOD would do that. If it was a broken GPU, possible but it would be more extreme, plus the fact you have tried it on 3 different PC's proves it is a faulty panel.

Soldato
OP
There is zero chance that a BSOD would do that. If it was a broken GPU, possible but it would be more extreme, plus the fact you have tried it on 3 different PC's proves it is a faulty panel.

Thanks for the reply, I also unplugged the DP cable and it went to the "No Signal" screen and I could still see extremely clearly the thick black line going down the screen.

Associate
My Dell 2408WFP has a line like that, only it's about 4 or 5 pixels wide now. They change colour as the monitor warms up and they eventually fade out of view. If I switch inputs I can still see them.

I'm just hanging onto this screen for a while longer until I decide what to do about a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom