Looking for some advice on a home cinema setup

Associate
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to audio so I'm hoping I can get some advice from you guys!

I'm in the process of setting up a projector & screen in my living room. The screen is going by the main window in the room where the current TV setup is (with a basic 2:1 sound system).

The project will be mounted above the sofa on the wall opposite.

I'm not a fan of cables..so is there a reasonable audio setup for my home cinema that is affordable (around £500) and limits the amount of cables going around the living room?

I do like the idea of a soundbar but I believe they're not very popular!

Thank you

Last edited:
Caporegime
200w.gif

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to audio so I'm hoping I can get some advice from you guys!

I'm in the process of setting up a projector & screen in my living room. The screen is going by the main window in the room where the current TV setup is (with a basic 2:1 sound system).

The project will be mounted above the sofa on the wall opposite.

I'm not a fan of cables..so is there a reasonable audio setup for my home cinema that is affordable (around £500) and limits the amount of cables going around the living room?

I do like the idea of a soundbar but I believe they're not very popular!

Thank you

For £500 you'll be looking at a wireless soundbar. But you'll need power to the speakers, or if they're rechargable, need to recharge them.
Forget good quality seperates, 5.1, and a AVR for £500.

Possible to get a ok stereo system for £500, and since front wall/two speakers minimal cables and routing. That'll have superior sound quality to a soundbar, but won't have the rear surround FX and panning of a 5.1 AVR/soundbar setup. But it'll allow you upgrade or add as needed, ie to go from stereo to 2.1/2.2, or replace/add a AVR to move to proper seperates.

But at £500 surround just get a soundbar. They're ok but generally the sub is the weak area, usually just cheap and nasty boom boxes, 8" woofer, 40hz porting etc..

I've listened to a Q Acoustics 2.1 soundbar, I found it very impressive for the price, as long as turn down the sub and I would be perfectly happy with that in a bedroom system.

Best to go richer sounds and have a demo of a soundbar and a budget 5.1 speaker /avr, and ask what cabling is needed for both.

Associate
OP
For £500 you'll be looking at a wireless soundbar. But you'll need power to the speakers, or if they're rechargable, need to recharge them.
Forget good quality seperates, 5.1, and a AVR for £500.

Possible to get a ok stereo system for £500, and since front wall/two speakers minimal cables and routing. That'll have superior sound quality to a soundbar, but won't have the rear surround FX and panning of a 5.1 AVR/soundbar setup. But it'll allow you upgrade or add as needed, ie to go from stereo to 2.1/2.2, or replace/add a AVR to move to proper seperates.

But at £500 surround just get a soundbar. They're ok but generally the sub is the weak area, usually just cheap and nasty boom boxes, 8" woofer, 40hz porting etc..

I've listened to a Q Acoustics 2.1 soundbar, I found it very impressive for the price, as long as turn down the sub and I would be perfectly happy with that in a bedroom system.

Best to go richer sounds and have a demo of a soundbar and a budget 5.1 speaker /avr, and ask what cabling is needed for both.

I thought so! I just saw the new Sony Wireless Speakers for £2.5k :D

That's an option for sure but as you said no rear surround & cables will be required which is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

Some soundbars come with a wireless subwoofer so that's an option? There are a lot to choose from on Richer Sounds. Here are some I've seen, any of these stand out?:

Sonos Beam (Gen 2) - this doesn't have a subwoofer though but it has good reviews

I don't know enough to see which one of the above is best! Any input would be very helpful to me and other people!

Soldato
if those Subwoofers are wireless they'll need a power cable. So what's the big deal with a extra RCA-RCA cable, if you've got a mains cable? Also the issue is have to use the matching sub. Then if you want a second sub, you won't be able to do that.

All of those will be a upgrade on the stock flat panel speakers. As I said it's the sub that will be the weakest link, they're just boom boxes, and you're stuck with it.

Try and get one with standard sub pre out on the soundbar, that way you have the option to choose whatever active sub you like.

best and have have a demo.

Soldato
If you're looking at lower end soundbars like those you linked, you might well be better served with a pair of stereo speakers and a half decent AMP.

It depends on the space you have tbh, the lower end soundbars are often quite poor and even those with subs will lack the range of audio you'd get from a proper 2.0 setup.

You should be able to fit in some good bookshelf or potentially even floorstanders and an AMP at that price point.

Wharfedale Diamond 230's should be doable for £250-300 new if you look around, there's some good second hand deals out there too if you check local groups on FB etc. Obviously you'll need to buy an AMP for them too, but you should have enough budget left over especially if checking second hand.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if those Subwoofers are wireless they'll need a power cable. So what's the big deal with a extra RCA-RCA cable, if you've got a mains cable? Also the issue is have to use the matching sub. Then if you want a second sub, you won't be able to do that.

All of those will be a upgrade on the stock flat panel speakers. As I said it's the sub that will be the weakest link, they're just boom boxes, and you're stuck with it.

Try and get one with standard sub pre out on the soundbar, that way you have the option to choose whatever active sub you like.

best and have have a demo.

So you're saying just go with a standard 2:1 setup? Sorry bit confused! I guess it does make sense.

I'll look to see what soundbars offer a sub pre out. Is that the name of the output?

Soldato
I'm just offering options. Go and have a demo of

Budget stereo system
Soundbar
Budget AVR/5.1 speaker system

If music is important than a soundbar "will do" and have mediocre to average sound quality. Determine if the better SQ is worth it. If you live in the North West, there is a the show in a next week at cranage hall.

Each have pros and cons.

Also if you get a 2.0 system now with your budget, get the best 2.0 system you can now, then you can add a subwoofer later as you save up funds. Determine what sub you need. Ie would a BK XLS200 be ok? Better finish, etc. Or anything else active sub.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you're looking at lower end soundbars like those you linked, you might well be better served with a pair of stereo speakers and a half decent AMP.

It depends on the space you have tbh, the lower end soundbars are often quite poor and even those with subs will lack the range of audio you'd get from a proper 2.0 setup.

You should be able to fit in some good bookshelf or potentially even floorstanders and an AMP at that price point.

Mad to think that £400 is on the lower end for soundbars.

The TV unit is 1.6M in width with a 55 inch TV on it. I already have a very cheap 2:1 setup connected to the TV. So I want to replace it so thought I could go the soundbar route for simplicity but it seems as though a 2:1 setup for the same price as the soundbars above would be a much better option and give me the freedom to add to it if required. So I understand that totally.

Are there 2:1 setups that are Dolby Atmos or provide some kind of surround sound? As that's what I would really like if possible

Associate
OP
I'm just offering options. Go and have a demo of

Budget stereo system
Soundbar
Budget AVR/5.1 speaker system

If music is important than a soundbar "will do" and have mediocre to average sound quality. Determine if the better SQ is worth it. If you live in the North West, there is a the show in a next week at cranage hall.

Each have pros and cons.

Also if you get a 2.0 system now with your budget, get the best 2.0 system you can now, then you can add a subwoofer later as you save up funds. Determine what sub you need. Ie would a BK XLS200 be ok? Better finish, etc. Or anything else active sub.

Yeah I understand thank you for your input you've been very helpful.

Music is not a priority, I just want a good sound system to complete the home cinema experience, ideally with Dolby Atmos/surround sound.

What 2:1 setup do you recommend for about £300-£400?

Soldato
Mad to think that £400 is on the lower end for soundbars.

The TV unit is 1.6M in width with a 55 inch TV on it. I already have a very cheap 2:1 setup connected to the TV. So I want to replace it so thought I could go the soundbar route for simplicity but it seems as though a 2:1 setup for the same price as the soundbars above would be a much better option and give me the freedom to add to it if required. So I understand that totally.

Are there 2:1 setups that are Dolby Atmos or provide some kind of surround sound? As that's what I would really like if possible

There are some genuinely decent soundbars, but those at the level you're looking at are generally not much better than TV audio in my opinion, and when you're spending a few hundred quid I think that it's a bit of a waste unless you're really strapped for space.

The 2.1/3.1 "atmos" soundbars usually use some sort of software to emulate surround, the effects can be hit and miss but usually closer toward the miss side compared to having the necessary physical speakers.

The Wharfedale speakers I recommended are floorstanding and would offer much better sound at £250-300, you should be able to come in under £500 with an AMP on top and then it's just the wires at the back connecting the three items to your output device. Some might argue needing a dedicated DAC in the chain, but tbh to start with you should be fine using whatever device you're feeding the projector content from.

I helped a friend in a similar situation to you a few months back, I managed to get him a set of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers (second hand, locally) for £60 and a LEPY MINI AMP for £30. Suffice it to say, they absolutely blew away the soundbars he was looking at which were about on par with the above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I understand thank you for your input you've been very helpful.

Music is not a priority, I just want a good sound system to complete the home cinema experience, ideally with Dolby Atmos/surround sound.

What 2:1 setup do you recommend for about £300-£400?

I wouldn't touch 2.1 for your budget. A good budget sub is around £150, ie Wharfedale Diamond SW-150. I had one of those. They're ok.

Something like Wiim Amp plus Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 will do for now, then save up for a sub.

That's a excellent DAC/Amp/streamer, with sub out, high pass, ARC input, and great streamer.

Soldato
"£60 and a LEPY MINI AMP for £30. Suffice it to say, they absolutely blew away the soundbars he was looking at which were about on par with the above."

yeah a small class D amp, and Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 (the little ones) really nice sound.

Associate
OP
There are some genuinely decent soundbars, but those at the level you're looking at are generally not much better than TV audio in my opinion, and when you're spending a few hundred quid I think that it's a bit of a waste unless you're really strapped for space.

The 2.1/3.1 "atmos" soundbars usually use some sort of software to emulate surround, the effects can be hit and miss but usually closer toward the miss side compared to having the necessary physical speakers.

The Wharfedale speakers I recommended are floorstanding and would offer much better sound at £250-300, you should be able to come in under £500 with an AMP on top and then it's just the wires at the back connecting the three items to your output device. Some might argue needing a dedicated DAC in the chain, but tbh to start with you should be fine using whatever device you're feeding the projector content from.

I helped a friend in a similar situation to you a few months back, I managed to get him a set of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers (second hand, locally) for £60 and a LEPY MINI AMP for £30. Suffice it to say, they absolutely blew away the soundbars he was looking at which were about on par with the above.

Got you, that makes sense thanks for explaining.

Wharfedale Diamond 230? Holy moly those are almost 1M in height? Haha are there anything like..half the height lol I live in a semi detached house (although there is a "soundproof" wall connecting the properties but still). I have to be somewhat conscious of the volume.

I think speakers like the above are overkill to be honest!

Very cool they look like very good speakers. Now I'm looking at 2:1 setups (ideally small speakers).

Soldato
You said not interested in music.

If a home theatre system doesn't do music good then it's not good. Boom and all tizz, poor stereo imaging.

I would bet a small amp and speakers will sound better than those soundbars

£140 absolute bargain. I had the smaller ones 9.0 nice speamerd

Soldato
Got you, that makes sense thanks for explaining.

Wharfedale Diamond 230? Holy moly those are almost 1M in height? Haha are there anything like..half the height lol I live in a semi detached house (although there is a "soundproof" wall connecting the properties but still). I have to be somewhat conscious of the volume.

I think speakers like the above are overkill to be honest!

Very cool they look like very good speakers. Now I'm looking at 2:1 setups (ideally small speakers).

Don't waste your money on budget towers. They'll be cheap and nasty.

Good towers will cost. Better to go standmounts.

I'm using towers but they aren't cheap and those 230 are tiny compared ..hah

Associate
OP
Ok I think I understand now. Stupid question but those pair of speakers, do they deliver any bass at all? Would they be ok to use in the meantime before I get a sub?

And speaking of amps (please bare in mind I'm a complete novice with audio) I can connect the amp to a FireStick for example with bluetooth and there would be minimal audio delay?

That is a good deal, but that amp is £320 alone on another site, isn't that a bit overkill for my setup? If I can get a decent amp, 2 speakers and 1 sub for under £500 I would be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom