Looking to build for msfs2020

Associate
Personally, for flight sim, I'd go nvidia. Flight sim isn't a fast game and the 4000 series frame gen and dlss work exceptionally well with it...you'll get a massive bump in fps and smooth gameplay. There's not that much difference in price or perfomance with e 7900gre or a 4070super...and 100% go with the 7800x3d for vcache, which also flight sim loves
Side note, the rm850x shift psu is on offer at the mo for £130 which is only £5 more than the rm850e, and is a better psu(warranty goes up to 10yrs from 7yrs also as a bonus)...the connections are on the side of the psu rather than the back(which make it easy for plugging in/unplugging cables etc)...i checked and it is compatible with the case also

Associate
OP
Personally, for flight sim, I'd go nvidia. Flight sim isn't a fast game and the 4000 series frame gen and dlss work exceptionally well with it...you'll get a massive bump in fps and smooth gameplay. There's not that much difference in price or perfomance with e 7900gre or a 4070super...and 100% go with the 7800x3d for vcache, which also flight sim loves
Side note, the rm850x shift psu is on offer at the mo for £130 which is only £5 more than the rm850e, and is a better psu(warranty goes up to 10yrs from 7yrs also as a bonus)...the connections are on the side of the psu rather than the back(which make it easy for plugging in/unplugging cables etc)...i checked and it is compatible with the case also
Hi Craig which 4070 super as there are so many i'm a little confused please.

Associate
Hi Craig which 4070 super as there are so many i'm a little confused please.
Seeing as they all perform fairly similarly, I just look for the cheapest that I'm happy with...for a two fan card, I'd just go for the fe version(though the super is out of stock at mo) or something like the below with the zotac, which has a 5yrs warranty///the asus duo evo cheaper than the one you put in is you're set on Asus...If going over £600, I prefer a triple fan...might look a bit nicer in the h5 flow case also (I mean that case is there to show off your system, and 3 fans running at loewer rpm should have same cooling as 2 at a higher rpm, so in theory should run quieter...though the asus is a quiet 2 fan card to be fair), but really comes down to your own preference really...don't know much about gainward cards either, as you can get one for £539.99 also
Nvidia lock the cards down so much there's only a few fps difference beteen the cheapest and most expensive

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,396.95 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

£590 (incl. VAT)
£549 (incl. VAT)
£600 (incl. VAT)
£570 (incl. VAT)
£620 (incl. VAT)
£579 (incl. VAT)
Associate
OP
Seeing as they all perform fairly similarly, I just look for the cheapest that I'm happy with...for a two fan card, I'd just go for the fe version(though the super is out of stock at mo) or something like the below with the zotac, which has a 5yrs warranty///the asus duo evo cheaper than the one you put in is you're set on Asus...If going over £600, I prefer a triple fan...might look a bit nicer in the h5 flow case also (I mean that case is there to show off your system, and 3 fans running at loewer rpm should have same cooling as 2 at a higher rpm, so in theory should run quieter...though the asus is a quiet 2 fan card to be fair), but really comes down to your own preference really...don't know much about gainward cards either, as you can get one for £539.99 also
Nvidia lock the cards down so much there's only a few fps difference beteen the cheapest and most expensive

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,396.95 (includes delivery: £7.99)​
Thanks for your help I'll have a look at these may mean i may have to save for another 2 months as i can only put £50 away a month sadly.

£590 (incl. VAT)
£549 (incl. VAT)
£600 (incl. VAT)
£570 (incl. VAT)
£620 (incl. VAT)
£579 (incl. VAT)
Associate
OP
My basket so far:-

What do you think please.

£200 (incl. VAT)
£197 (incl. VAT)
£420 (incl. VAT)
£315 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£590 (incl. VAT)
£549 (incl. VAT)
Associate
What do you think please.
only just noticed the ram is cas40...I'd prefer 6000C30...x3d doesn't worry so much about cas, but still seen some vids where still makes a difference

The 6000c30 team delta is cheaper with far better cas latency, but it's on preorder again..sells out in a couple days every time it comes in stock
The corsair below is for looks only DO NOT BUY HERE...i wouldn't buy here as apart from the delta, the ram is expensive...the same ram is £122 away and in stock(1st place looked, £123 other place with free delivery) or you can get the 6000c36 rgb for £109
actually seen g.skill trident z5 rgb 6400c32 for £112, but it is xmp, so might need some tuning...would rather get expo so s/b guaranteed to work on amd and closest i got is trident z5 neo rgb 6000c32 for £118....
anyway £140 is too much, and my pref is lower latency (to a point)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £249.98 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Associate
if you look at this vid...more often than not in the games (with a 7800x3d) the 6000C30 ram was on a par or outperformed the 7600C36 ram (showing to me even with a x3d cpu, cas latency matters and is more important that outright speed)

for transparency, i use 6000c30 in my pc with the 7800x3d

Last edited:
Man of Honour
if you look at this vid...more often than not in the games (with a 7800x3d) the 6000C30 ram was on a par or outperformed the 7600C36 ram (showing to me even with a x3d cpu, cas latency matters and is more important that outright speed)
not watched the full vid but was the fclk at 1/2 mclk? might explain the difference

Associate
not watched the full vid but was the fclk at 1/2 mclk? might explain the difference
unfortunately they didn't say, just that test used 7800x3d paired with an aorus master b650 board on latest ageas update on bios which allows for faster ram to be used. ...think the idea was put it in, set it to expo and go..ie what bulk of people would do, rather than manually adjust settings

Man of Honour
Forgot to say going from what i have been told to get i can't seem to find what i think are the right items like the cooler, I must be mssing something
You won't be able to find thermalright coolers like the peerless assassin @ OCUK because they don't sell them.

also maybe change the case to something not as big If my motherboard is so small.
The TUF B650-Plus is a full-size motherboard so you'd still need an ATX compatible case.

If you went with a Micro-ATX motherboard, then you could choose a smaller one, e.g. (note that this case supports only very short graphics card, under 300mm)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,449.92 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Associate
You won't be able to find thermalright coolers like the peerless assassin @ OCUK because they don't sell them.

The TUF B650-Plus is a full-size motherboard so you'd still need an ATX compatible case.
I was under impression OP was always going for the h5 flow case? or have things changed?, so changed from a mATX board to the b650 tuf gaming wifi board to fill out the case a bit more...why 48gb ram?..it's slow and flight sim doesn't come anywhere near needing 32gb (don't think I've used 16gb for the game myself), so I'd stick with 6000c30 ram myself...cheaper too

Man of Honour
I was under impression OP was always going for the h5 flow case? or have things changed?
I don't know, thread is too long for me to digest it all at once. I was just replying to what they mentioned.

why 48gb ram?..it's slow and flight sim doesn't come anywhere near needing 32gb (don't think I've used 16gb for the game myself)
I thought the game might have mods, texture packs, 'n stuff and I always suggest RAM that doesn't require XMP/EXPO in my builds where possible.

Associate
OP
I was under impression OP was always going for the h5 flow case? or have things changed?, so changed from a mATX board to the b650 tuf gaming wifi board to fill out the case a bit more...why 48gb ram?..it's slow and flight sim doesn't come anywhere near needing 32gb (don't think I've used 16gb for the game myself), so I'd stick with 6000c30 ram myself...cheaper too
I was still looking at the H5 case for this build Craig,48gb ram which I never knew you could even get i thought 32gb would be ok to run all the extras plus any other game i might play in the future, my current old pc has 16gb which was an upgrade from 8gb

Man of Honour
i thought 32gb would be ok to run all the extras plus any other game i might play in the future
It should be fine, it was just a suggested spec :)

48gb ram which I never knew you could even get
The max capacity of DDR5 is now 48GBx4 (not common, but the 2 stick kits are widely available) or 64GBx4 (haven't seen any of these for sale yet).

Last edited:
Associate
I was still looking at the H5 case for this build Craig,48gb ram which I never knew you could even get i thought 32gb would be ok to run all the extras plus any other game i might play in the future, my current old pc has 16gb which was an upgrade from 8gb
Vp7Hyndl.jpg

just realised I'd done this recently in another thread..above is within the training of fs2020 (was the takeoff, fly to 8000ft, 2 turns, go parallel to runway , 2 turns and land.....so long enough to get an idea of performance)with my 7800x3d and 3070ti....outputting to 4k tv ith TAA enabled...it was just the OP on the other thread was getting way worse fps...and one of the factors was the x3d is very good with flight sim
Below is the same, though I turned dlss on with low latency, and now my av framerate has jumped to 88 fps....can't turn frame gen on as only a 3000 series gpu, but shows how dlss helps, and I didn't notice any real loss in quality
Also , you can see my RAM useage, which is 17.2GB, so 32gb is more than enough

Hope that helps a little

IgrzHMVl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom