Looking to start biking..

Soldato
I've been thinking about it for a while and am planning on taking up biking at some point in the near future (after I've persuaded the missus as shes dead against it!)

However after reading the DVLA website I've got a bit confused about what tests and things I need to do! I'm 26 (27 in a few weeks) and had a car license since I was 17 from January 01. Do I just need to book up a CBT then do the Direct Access? I've read elsewhere that as I got my license before February 01 I don't need to do a CBT, is this right?

Thanks for any pointers! :)

Soldato
CBT -> Theory -> 500cc Test (Test split into a few modules)

I think you still need a CBT. I got my driving licence in the 1990s and I still needed to do a CBT.

Soldato
You always need a CBT. Do one on a geared 125, drive one of them for a bit, and then do your theory and main tests.

Alternatively, book an all-in-one course and do your CBT and main tests within a few days of each other. You get onto a bigger bike faster, but you don't get the fun of riding a 125 :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for info.. I've had another scout around and came across a handy website with a flow chart of things needed! :)

Might just book my CBT up on the sly so the missus doesn't find out and get that over and done with before finding out about the rest..

Soldato
Easiest and quickest way (IMO) is get theory done and out the way, then do a DAS course over a few days which includes CBT. Then ride whatever you like.

Soldato
OP
Easiest and quickest way (IMO) is get theory done and out the way, then do a DAS course over a few days which includes CBT. Then ride whatever you like.

I've just had a look around and found some places near me that offer courses to do that.. I think this might be the way I end up going, will save messing around and I can just get it all done at once! :)

Associate
I'm going to do the CBT first. There's a chance I might not like biking, or that 125s are scary enough. This way I can find out exactly what level I'm at before committing to a course.

Associate
I wanted to do CBT then straight onto the DAS the same week, but the chaps at the school (after talking on't phone) suggested I do the CBT separately in case I thought "oh sister, I don't like this 2 wheel lark!". So I did. And luckily, I loved it more than I love steamed treacle pudding.

Oh, Morbius, twas my experience that when I got onto the GS500 or whatever it was, it felt much much much safer and planted than the 125 I did the CBT and first day or so of DAS on. This may be subjective of course, but it was lots heavier and with tyres bigger than a cat.

OP: A good one to placate the wife is list off the many courses you intend to go on after you pass.

Soldato
My wife was against it then she read the long way down/round and spoke to friends who are already bikers she gradually changed her mind. Also once they see the safety gear available they back down...a little.

Associate
Spend at least this summer and this winter on a s/h 125 see if you like / can handle it in the freezing rain and slippy manhole covers, drop the 125 a few times, then make your mind up, it could be very costly to do a full test and buy a new bike drop that, to find out it's not for you

Associate
You could take your full test on your 125, you'll save bike hire costs but then be restricted to 33hp for two years but no need to take another test, it will also give you a gradual learning curve than just jumping on a big bike

Bat

Bat

Associate
You could take your full test on your 125, you'll save bike hire costs but then be restricted to 33hp for two years but no need to take another test, it will also give you a gradual learning curve than just jumping on a big bike

I did that. It should save you a few quid but you have to accept that you will want more power before your 2 years are up!

Soldato
OP
Spend at least this summer and this winter on a s/h 125 see if you like / can handle it in the freezing rain and slippy manhole covers, drop the 125 a few times, then make your mind up, it could be very costly to do a full test and buy a new bike drop that, to find out it's not for you

I have ridden bikes in the past but not for a long time and I've got my car for the depths of winter! :)

I've found a few places near me that seem recommended so I'm going to phone round them this week and see what I can organise!

Associate
I wanted to do CBT then straight onto the DAS the same week, but the chaps at the school (after talking on't phone) suggested I do the CBT separately in case I thought "oh sister, I don't like this 2 wheel lark!". So I did. And luckily, I loved it more than I love steamed treacle pudding.

Oh, Morbius, twas my experience that when I got onto the GS500 or whatever it was, it felt much much much safer and planted than the 125 I did the CBT and first day or so of DAS on. This may be subjective of course, but it was lots heavier and with tyres bigger than a cat.

This will probably be the case. Although I've still got to do the theory test, so doing the CBT separately gives me some time to get that sorted before going for the DAS.

At the weekend I rode pillion on a BMW 1150RT and it was an absolute blast. It made me question why I bothered getting a car in the first place. Methinks this biking lark will be very enjoyable. :)

Associate
This will probably be the case. Although I've still got to do the theory test, so doing the CBT separately gives me some time to get that sorted before going for the DAS.

At the weekend I rode pillion on a BMW 1150RT and it was an absolute blast. It made me question why I bothered getting a car in the first place. Methinks this biking lark will be very enjoyable. :)

:D

That is all.

Soldato
Might just book my CBT up on the sly so the missus doesn't find out and get that over and done with before finding out about the rest..

Mine wasn't happy when I told her I was doing mine (she lived most of her life in Luxembourg where there seem to be fatal bike accidents daily so she wasn't keen on me riding a bike)

Just tell her that you'll only get a 125cc and that it's as powerful as a lawnmower and she'll be fine :D

Soldato
OP
She wasn't happy yesterday when she said to me she realised I was serious about doing it now as I was researching it properly and that it wasn't just an idea anymore! :)

Am stopping in at Blueflame exhausts later to do some work for them so will ask them which training centres they recommend around this area, no doubt they'll be desperate to get me on a bike so they can sell me an exhaust like they keep trying to do with my car!

Associate
They do make some lovely 'zorsts, wouldn't say no if you can smuggle one out! I took my CBT and had a 125 for a year and I still loved it at the end so took the DAS and got a Hornet 600. Benefit from the 1yrs NCB that way as well (being 23 at the time)

Just see if you can tear yourself away from it on a good sunny day!

Soldato
OP
Well I've got my CBT all booked up for next week.. Got home and told the missus and she moaned at me for ruining my birthday surprise! Apparently she was going to book it for me anyway in a few weeks! :)

Back
Top Bottom