Looking to start biking..

Associate
Exactly, confidence on a bike is something that does come with time, and even if you had ridden a 125 for a while, you will still need to get your confidence again once you jump on to a bigger CC bike, and again when you go up to the next size.

I did my CBT and knew biking was for me, I had a massive grin on my face for the rest of the day after I'd been on the bike for the first time at my CBT.

Agree. Also felt immediately more confident on the 500, felt more stable, like it could stop, go, steer, lean without blowing away in the breeze.

I may have said this already :p

Soldato
Can I just jump in here with a Q or two.

I passed my driving test in 93 so if I do the CBT I'm not restricted to the 125 for any length of time if I want something bigger?

I'm a bit far behind Street in make a decision but I've been thinking about a bike for a while. A mate was in between homes and I let him store his bike in my garage and the thoughts started from there :)

Soldato
Can I just jump in here with a Q or two.

I passed my driving test in 93 so if I do the CBT I'm not restricted to the 125 for any length of time if I want something bigger?

I'm a bit far behind Street in make a decision but I've been thinking about a bike for a while. A mate was in between homes and I let him store his bike in my garage and the thoughts started from there :)

No, At the moment, you can ride a 50cc moped just with your drivers licence, but nothing else. If you do your CBT, you'll be able to ride a 125cc bike for a period of two years, after 2 years is up you have to do your CBT again, unless you've actually gained your full licence in that time.

Associate
And depending on which test you do, you will be limited to 33BHP for a further two years, or do the DAS (Direct Access Scheme) and ride whatever you like (just be sensible!)

Soldato
OP
Well I'm back from my CBT.. Passed it fine! I was with 3 other people and when it got to the time to go out on the road, I was the only one the instructor wanted to take out, he told the others to come back another day. I was also the only one who didn't fall off! :)

Last edited:
Associate
A lad I work with tried to go down the 125cc route for a year after taking his CBT, so he could gain road experience before taking his DAS.
2 months after getting the 125 (Aprillia RS125) he has passed his DAS and is now selling his RS125 as he said it was annoying trying to keep up with everyone on bigger bikes when he went out for a ride-out.
He doesn't seem to think that he learnt a great deal from using the 125, as he was almost constantly ringing it's neck to try and get anywhere (his words, not mine)
He said he felt much safer on the ER6 he took his test on.

Tea Drinker
Don
The RS 125 is a bit of a crazy bike the full 33hp is right up the rev range so you need to be ringing it's neck all the time, he would probably be better of with a 4 stroke 33hp than a tuned 125, my mates rs250 was able to keep up with us when I was on a Bandit 600 and others on older 750's, I'd assume he would be able to keep up with 400/500's.

Ride outs are a pain as they are dictated by the fastest rider and everyone else trying to keep up, any one can go fast in a straight line.

Associate
Well I'm back from my CBT.. Passed it fine! I was with 3 other people and when it got to the time to go out on the road, I was the only one the instructor wanted to take out, he told the others to come back another day. I was also the only one who didn't fall off! :)

Nice one dude!
I bet thats a confidence booster.

So what bike have you got/going to get?

Associate
He'll probably sell the 125 then regret it because of the flickyness of the 4cyl compared to the RS, the RS is a good bike

Well, he went out on the blade the other day and loved it, (blade is one of 2 his dad has got).
Said it was easier to ride, due to the extra power and also liked the handling.
The RS125 is a good bike though.

Back
Top Bottom