Looks like it's over for FlyBe

Soldato
Managed to grab an easyJet flight back from Belfast international. Never had an airline go under whilst being away - a new experience for me. Also might need to rebook flights for a ski holiday at the end of the month. I thought that they’d keep going until at least the end of March.

This is going to be very difficult for remote parts of the UK.

Associate
I think Exeter Airport is going to feel a lot of pain from this news, not only was it one of the airports with a lot of FlyBe flights but it was also one of the airports that FlyBe often used for training so they're losing a lot of business from both angles...

Also not great news for us living in Cornwall as it's getting harder and harder to find reliable public transport to travel out of the county.

Man of Honour
Southampton are talking to other airlines about taking over the routes, so I'm guessing something like Easyjet or Ryanair or some such. Ryanair has quite a presence at Bournemouth Airport I believe so they might be up for extending their services to Southampton too

Soldato
Just booked 2 tickets on Tues from Birm to IoM for a business trip in April :rolleyes:

Now looking, they are 5 hour flights with a change in Dublin lol, will wait and see if anyone picks up the direct route in the meantime

Soldato
RIP, obviously it's the staff I feel sorry for.
Agreed. Well, those who didn't, given the opportunity, vote for anything that may have devalued sterling, and brought massive uncertainty to the industry, and which, unlike Coronavirus, were entirely within our control.

Soldato
Agreed. Well, those who didn't, given the opportunity, vote for anything that may have devalued sterling, and brought massive uncertainty to the industry, and which, unlike Coronavirus, were entirely within our control.
69 posts to get to Brexit, much longer than usual.

Soldato
The payment to Flybe is still pending on the c/c after 2 days, so they might not even claim it, which would save the hassle of claiming it back

Associate
Feel sorry for the staff, seems to have been mismanaged as there's clearly demand for the routes. Hopefully they're picked up quickly by whoever takes them over.

Associate
Following the recent news of Flybe entering administration on 5 March 2020, we are offering free travel for customers who have booked flights with Flybe to travel between 5 and Wednesday 11 March 2020 to help them make their planned journey.

Free travel will be available for Flybe customers and colleagues travelling in either direction between:

• Exeter and London Waterloo
  • Southampton Airport Parkway and London Waterloo
  • Poole or Portsmouth and London Waterloo (for customers who may travel to/from the Channel Islands)
Customers will need to present a ticket or boarding pass- this might be an e-ticket in an email or app, or a printed on paper. This must be dated for travel between Thursday 5 and Wednesday 11 March 2020. Flybe colleagues may also travel on our services today, with their Flybe ID.

Flybe customers will be able to travel at any time (i.e. no time restrictions) to complete their journey.

Soldato
If flights from Martinique to Guadeloupe or worse from Martinique to St Lucia are profitable, how can a route from Exeter to Manchester or London not be.

Execs paying themselves too much, lots of waste, poor operating efficiency... List could go on. Amazing how many companies that make profit are inefficient, hence why you get companies like Kaizen able to make millions over a consulting period.

Man of Honour
OP
Southampton airport’s runway extension was partly for providing resilience in this exact situation. If it was accessible to other single aisle jet carriers like EZY and RYR, they could at least step in and pick up some of the high load factor routes.

Southampton is my favourite airport. Like you say, park up and walk in 30 mins before your flight, breeze through security, and pretty much step straight onto the plane. No charade of women with painted faces forcing perfume and Toblerone upon you. If only all airports could be like that.
Newcastle is like this, canny little airport.

Soldato
Always found FlyBe to be pretty good and their staff were great. Really sad about this. :(

Looks like Logan are taking on some of their staff though which helps.

Back
Top Bottom