Loot boxes FINALLY being investigated by UK Government

Associate
It depends on how loot boxes are done imo if they're for guns and better weapons like cod. Then they should be banned as that's an unfair advantage and entices people to buy them so they can compete at an even level but if all you get is purely cosmetic then I don't care it's not gambling and if you're classing it as gambling because you don't know what you'll get kinder eggs need banning as you don't know what you you'll get and the same can be said about toys in happy meals that's another form of gambling :D

Soldato
You know you're an awful person when your decisions lead to something predatory FINALLY getting investigated after years of manipulation and exploitation.

Never change EA/2K, never change. Get given an inch and try to take the width of a solar system.

Caporegime
It depends on how loot boxes are done imo if they're for guns and better weapons like cod. Then they should be banned as that's an unfair advantage and entices people to buy them so they can compete at an even level but if all you get is purely cosmetic then I don't care it's not gambling and if you're classing it as gambling because you don't know what you'll get kinder eggs need banning as you don't know what you you'll get and the same can be said about toys in happy meals that's another form of gambling :D
Nope, you are buying a chocolate egg or a fast food meal, the gifts are extra :p

Soldato
No matter how they dress it up, it's gambling.

Sure I've got no problem with it on 18+ games but the majority of lootbox games are aimed at kids. It's disgraceful it's taken them this long but it's probably to do with the old boys club failing to grasp the notion

Caporegime
No matter how they dress it up, it's gambling.

Sure I've got no problem with it on 18+ games but the majority of lootbox games are aimed at kids. It's disgraceful it's taken them this long but it's probably to do with the old boys club failing to grasp the notion

So you don't mind it also being used as pay to win? Therefore forcing people to pay in order to compete.

Soldato
So you don't mind it also being used as pay to win? Therefore forcing people to pay in order to compete.

Don't get me wrong I hate the freemium model, but if paying adults are willing to keep feeding these models who am I to argue? I believe greater transparency is needed but I guess the arguments for adults is what level of government interference is acceptable?

Permabanned
You know you're an awful person when your decisions lead to something predatory FINALLY getting investigated after years of manipulation and exploitation.

Never change EA/2K, never change. Get given an inch and try to take the width of a solar system.

Up there with Jeremy Kyle in 2019 for awful people who prey upon vulnerable people for self monetary gain.

Soldato
I actually equated it to being little different from the Panini sticker collecting and the artificial scarcity of certain cards.

There's a question. Would, or indeed should, have Panini been allowed to operate in the manner they did during the 70s and 80s if they existed now?

My feeling is that if Panini stickers were still a thing they'd have been banned by now? Or at the very least they'd have been forced to release equal numbers of each card to prevent them intentionally scamming children and parents?

Caporegime
Don't get me wrong I hate the freemium model, but if paying adults are willing to keep feeding these models who am I to argue? I believe greater transparency is needed but I guess the arguments for adults is what level of government interference is acceptable?

I don't hate freemium. I hate pay to win. I also hate them not allowing a paid option for those who want to stop playing with cheaters and for better servers, etc. Like CSGO does it perfectly. It's completely free. You can pay for prime. You also have trust factor and VAC. You can also buy cosmetic skins which you can then sell on for cash.

Caporegime
I actually equated it to being little different from the Panini sticker collecting and the artificial scarcity of certain cards.

There's a question. Would, or indeed should, have Panini been allowed to operate in the manner they did during the 70s and 80s if they existed now?

My feeling is that if Panini stickers were still a thing they'd have been banned by now? Or at the very least they'd have been forced to release equal numbers of each card to avoid scamming children and parents?

you can still buy them today just that nobody buys books anymore.

Soldato
you can still buy them today just that nobody buys books anymore.

That's the thing. They're insignificant enough now that nobody will bother targeting them anymore.

I know people called it harmless fun but I suspect that if you priced up what kids spent on those complete sticker books and adjusted it for inflation it would easily be hundreds of pounds on today's money by the time you can anywhere close to completing a book.

It only seemed like small amounts at a time which is why it was such an effective scam back in the day!

Permabanned
That's the thing. They're insignificant enough now that nobody will bother targeting them anymore.

I know people called it harmless fun but I suspect that if you priced up what kids spent on those complete sticker books and adjusted it for inflation it would easily be hundreds of pounds on today's money by the time you can anywhere close to completing a book.

It only seemed like small amounts at a time which is why it was such an effective scam back in the day!

What is the actual point though of Pannini when i was young these things drove all the kids mad i had a friend steal my Faustino Asprilla card and my heart, We would take a handful from the shelf cross past a cctv deadzone and pocket all the stickers and pay for a bottle of 500ml coke.

When i look back on this now, Current me would ban Pannini idk about job losses really i would not care but all these things are is waste and addiction. You have a whole factory polluting somewhere and for nothing so some kid can waste his parents hard earned money to throw them in the bin or watch in time and they become old and stupid. But they are still going to litter the enviroment and with the factory as well plus the waste of money its an easy arguement for me for banning a lot of the current things capitalism allows.

Soldato
Except the huge difference when talking about Panini is that you could buy every single sticker individually directly from them. You also get something tangible, something you can trade or sell on without restriction. I'd also wager it's much harder for a 12 year old to walk into a shop and buy £80 worth of packs with their mum's credit card without raising suspicion which is the key point raised by many.

Soldato
They do, there is also match attack and a million other card collecting books/games/schemes.
Saw an advert on tv for football stickers today for panini, advertising several tiers of rarety, with a book and an online book you store them in and play games with them. Silk something, and invincible are all I remember about the tiers.
This technically should not be allowed in this frame we are discussing

Caporegime

they did an article on it for the last world cup i think it was £600-£800 to fill a book

Back
Top Bottom