Lost my mum

Soldato
I've been ill in bed for the last 2 weeks with exhaustion then a chest infection and according to the doctors I've got coronavirus. I've been on antibiotics since Monday.

Mum, 92, called me sunday short of breath needing water but was too dizzy to get to kitchen. I got out of bed feeling like death, wretching and coughing. Tried to get to my mum but ran out of fuel. Waited in car for nearly an hour feeling half dead until RAC arrived and filled up. But still wouldn't start. Bad news, timing belt snapped and my car engine died. You couldn't make it up.

Got towed home and I called my nephew to take over. He needed to call the ambulance which eventually came. They put her on oxygen and took her to hospital.

Monday and Tuesday she was apparently better, eating and talking, still on oxygen.

Tuesday afternoon, I'm in bed and I got a phone call on a private number, hoping it was a marketing call. Was a female doctor from the hospital asking me to confirm my name and that I'm next of kin. She said I'm afraid I don't have good news for you. I knew right there and then. She told me my mum had passed away from aspirational pneumonia and Coronavirus. :(

Nothing ever prepares you for this. She had a good innings and many ailments, but it was still so sudden and unexpected.

This morning me and close family connected via zoom app for a live streamed funeral as no-one was allowed to attend the burial ground. Very surreal but worked well.

Please keep safe, particularly your elders, this thing is so real. I feel so guilty as I was with my mum looking after her before this happened. I feel responsible as I probably unwittingly passed it on. She was the rock of my life. An amazing, generous and selfless woman. At least I got to drop a mother's day card and flowers to her door. I hope she's in a better place now. I'm heartbroken and there are many more tears to come.
Thanks for reading, guys.

Caporegime
I'm so sorry to hear that, Merlin5. I won't pretend for a moment I can understand how you are feeling, but I do dread the day my dear Mum passes away. Take care, fella.

I haz 4090!
Don
So sorry to hear this. As others have said though, you don't know who passed on what, it's such a huge unknown at the moment, so don't beat yourself up. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom