• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

<<<=====LOWEST PRICE IN THE UK - MSI ATI HD 5850 Twin FrozR Graphics Card ONLY £124.99 Delivered!!==

Associate
I'm getting no signal through either dvi or hdmi (nothing during post). PSU is an Enermax modular 620W, rest of rig in sig, both pcie power connectors connected. Machine boots fine (I think, hard to tell with no screen), fans are spinning up fine. I've dropped the overclock, still nothing. gtx260 is still working fine when I swap back.

Gutted :( any suggestions?

Associate
Ok got everything setup and running ok without a hitch. 10.12 drivers installed and crossfire found.
Opened BFBC2 went to advance settings and put everything to high with 4xaa and 16xaf selected in drivers. Res 1650x1080 would get an average of 50fps and a low of 24fps with these settings on my ATI 4890. With my 5850CF I’m getting 150fps+ and yet to see it drop below 112fps.
The cards run a lot cooler than my 4890 average 60c
Card 1: 47c
Card2: 33c
I expect these to get warmer as I’ve just had a quick look at BFBC2. Ok off to play some more.
Well impressed. Thank you OcUK for getting these out today.

Well after playing for a few hours without any problems, apart from the odd bit of lag.

Temps of 64c and 50c so i'm happy with that. Installed msi afterburner no overclock as I'm happy with stock for now. Just used it to create a custom fan profile so it runs a bit quieter during 2d apps.

Associate
I'm getting no signal through either dvi or hdmi (nothing during post). PSU is an Enermax modular 620W, rest of rig in sig, both pcie power connectors connected. Machine boots fine (I think, hard to tell with no screen), fans are spinning up fine. I've dropped the overclock, still nothing. gtx260 is still working fine when I swap back.

Gutted :( any suggestions?

You remove all your nvidia drivers before removing old card and installing new one?

Associate
H@mmer, that wouldn't affect boot up.

Pci-e at 100mhz in bios? What is your motherboard make and model please?

pcie @ 100mhz in bios, board is an Asus P5Q Pro (as in sig) running modified 2102 bios. I can now get initial display over hdmi but not dvi. After much messing about, I can install drivers and get display over dvi (yay!) but only at 1920x1080 not 1920x1200 which is native res for my monitor :( Starting to do my head in now. gtx260 still works flawlessly @ 1920x1200. grrrr.

Soldato
Well good news and bad news. I got an envelope from the wife this morning saying I could buy a graphics card. Doh! One day too late for this mega deal :( And this morning, my wife went to turn on the PC and BANG! Can not see anything amiss but think there might be a smell from the power supply unit. Damn, really liked this Corsair as well.
Least I have the go ahead for a gfx card lol. Think it will be a 6850 now though :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Well good news and bad news. I got an envelope from the wif this morning saying I could buy a graphics card. Doh! One day too late for this mega deal :( And this morning, my wife went to turn on the PC and BANG! Can not see anything amiss but think there might be a smell from the power supply unit. Least I have the go ahead for a gfx card lol. Think it will be a 6850 now though :(

I've had 2 corsair tx650's blow inside of 12 months fomr new. Got the new ANtc True POwer Modular now and its a really good psu.

Also got a 6850 and couldn't be happier!

Last edited:
Soldato
Installed the card last night at 2am :rolleyes:

One thing I can tell, the cooler is brilliant. Don't know how it performs overclocked because I haven't tried that yet but in my Coolermaster CM 690 II with only two 120mm quiet fans it's not louder than the case fans :eek:

That really is a good thing, one of the reasons I was considering watercooling. The card is inaudible up to 36% or so where the fans spin at ~2000 RPMs.

It isn't annoyingly loud at 55% either, you can leave that setting for higher overclocks and gaming with headphones.

One thing (probably the only one so far) I'm unhappy about is that the card comes with a very decent cooling by MSI and yet it cannot be overclocked below 775/1125MHz using Overdrive or standard MSI Afterburner methods. You need to unlock the unofficial overclocking just like with the reference cards (even though it's 100% non-reference design). The reference MSI card came out with unlocked clocks :mad:

EDIT: forgot to note the temps, with fan set to 36% the card won't go above 55*C. I think setting it to linear would give me even lower temps. My Sapphire 5850 can go up to 75*C in games and is certainly not as quiet. Idle temps are 10*C and fans are spinning at very low speed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom