Mac OS High Sierra available from 25/9

Commissario
It's habit really, I remember reading something a long time ago that suggested it was always worth running the Combo because it reinstalled many of the basic standard files that came with the OS. If anything had got corrupted then the Combo would always replace them with the latest versions of everything rather than patching old files.

I've heard some people say they always like to do a reinstall from scratch when the new OS is released and they notice things are faster afterwards. I've only ever blatted and reinstalled OS X once since getting my first Mac and the performance was absolutely no different. Perhaps installing the Combo each time has something to do with this, I really don't know, it's pure speculation.

It's just one of those things that I've always done and will continue to do.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It's habit really, I remember reading something a long time ago that suggested it was always worth running the Combo because it reinstalled many of the basic standard files that came with the OS. If anything had got corrupted then the Combo would always replace them with the latest versions of everything rather than patching old files.

I've heard some people say they always like to do a reinstall from scratch when the new OS is released and they notice things are faster afterwards. I've only ever blatted and reinstalled OS X once since getting my first Mac and the performance was absolutely no different. Perhaps installing the Combo each time has something to do with this, I really don't know, it's pure speculation.

It's just one of those things that I've always done and will continue to do.
So where does one go to get the combo patches? I assume you have to download them manually?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Thanks for the links. Interesting that Apple says this:
i.e. if you're already on 10.13.1 please use the Update, but if you're on an older version then please use the combo update. So @Feek, just to get this straight (because I like the idea), even if I'm on 10.13.1 it will let me apply the 10.13.2 combo update, yes? It's too late now because I already updated, but I'll try when 10.13.3 comes out.

Cheers.

Commissario
I've never encountered a situation where it hasn't let me apply the Combo and remember, even if you've installed the 'normal' update, you can always install the Combo on top.

Man of Honour
I'm setting up one of my older MacBooks to be a dual boot High Sierra / Windows 10 Pro 64 and wondered if anyone has any ideas to a nice boot menu that loads each time I boot up so I can select my OS of preference at boot time? Also, have they fixed an issue I saw where Bootcamp in Windows does not recognise the new file format in High Sierra (I typed that Hugh Sierra, I prefer Hugh Sierra I have decided)?

....and now I'm not as my Mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro doesn't support Windows 10

So plan B is to move it to my Late 2013 which does support it. So same question?

Soldato
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but was just wondering whether anyone was having issues installing software on their Mac's? I'm trying to install Malwarebytes, however, everytime I try to click 'Allow' button in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General, my Mac just seems to ignore the click, even after logging in as admin and entering my password to allow changes.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing, or how I might get around this? :confused:

Soldato
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but was just wondering whether anyone was having issues installing software on their Mac's? I'm trying to install Malwarebytes, however, everytime I try to click 'Allow' button in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General, my Mac just seems to ignore the click, even after logging in as admin and entering my password to allow changes.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing, or how I might get around this? :confused:

Obvious one but unlock the padlock?

Back
Top Bottom