Mach Loop Eagles

Floyd, they are really moving, think of swinging a cricket bat, thats the speed your panning at :eek:

Wedge some of my best Aircraft shots from CadWest were taken with a Sigma 150 macro Prime lens.

Guys it is Very very cold there at this time of Year, you need good clothing.

May I'd say is the Best time for a tryout there, not quite as much chance of freezing to death, Weather for cast this week Wed-Fri is for Snow there, I'll be there :)

Pic taken with the Sigma 150mm macro prime lens, full frame shot, no cropping
These Planes Pass very, very close to you.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/xup11/torn5.jpg

Me and a couple uni mates are planning trip this week I think so I might see you Wednesday maybe :D

Been looking into this for a while, I might take a trip up there sometime towards the end of next week, Wed/Thur/Friday.. Looks like it should be fun.

I assume a 300 F2.8 + sports camera are the staple kit for this sort of thing, would it also be worth bringing something in the region of 600mm for other sorts of shots?

V-Spec,.......... bring warm weather gear, my clothing I've been wearing in the Winter is bottom half, Thermals, Winter lined trousers, waterproofs. top half Thermals, very very thick wool shirt, body warmer, very thick fleece, and a breathable waterproof coat, rest is thermal hat and gloves, and a snood or scarf for your neck.
Last Friday I had that lot on, on what was supposedly the warmest day of the Year!!!!!
I was freezing all day, it is always windy up there.

Then food and a flask of hot liquid, and your set for the Day,

You need to be up on the hill in position by 9.00 AM, its a 30 to 45 min climb from the car park to the position on the hill, allow 45 min if you've not been there, before.

Don't let all that put you off, you'll have a great time, if Possible come for more than one day,

300mm is more than plenty for CadWest, for your first trip, keep your Camera bag light as possible, as it is a steep climb.

Martin

Edit for 600mm info

Worth bringing if you are planing doing wildlife shooting on another Day, its to long and heavy for CadWest.

There is a place Called Nant-yr-Arian 30 miles away where they feed 200+ Red Kites @ 2pm every day (3pm Summer time)

well worth a visit with a long lens.

Last edited:
Thanks Troop for supplying all this info, I'm thinking I'll take a day out and go this week too! :)

Those videos look great and make me wonder if I should take the video camera instead!

Friday's looking best for me at the moment, and I'm trying to move everything out of my diary to make it happen! :)

Cool, I might go to Gigrin too at the same time and photograph some of the Red Kites if the light is decent, and definitley if they'res some snow - which is forecast apparently..

Friday is looking by far the best day, There will be a few of us regulars there meeting in the Car park @ 8-8.15 am, and finish at about 4.30 as the light is going by then.

Good idea to bring something to sit on, even if its only a bin liner, as its a long day to be standing.

Friday is looking by far the best day, There will be a few of us regulars there meeting in the Car park @ 8-8.15 am, and finish at about 4.30 as the light is going by then.

Good idea to bring something to sit on, even if its only a bin liner, as its a long day to be standing.

Is this the CadWest location?

Is this the CadWest location?

Yes mate, Cadwest, If you look at the vids, look at the fence line, I find the lower section the best.(where they guys are lower down the fence line in the Vids.)

V-Spec, do you Know Nigel Blake, the pro Birding tog,he lives in your part of the world, we will be out together in the Loop Wed-Fri.

If you and Tooks can meet us in the Carpark, we can show you the best place to be, + if Cadwest is Fogged in (Place seems to have its own Micro climate)
we can take you over to the Bwlch or Corris corner, only a couple of miles away.

Google maps Cad West car park link

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...47307&sspn=0.005968,0.009141&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom