1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

macos osx photos catalina

Discussion in 'Apple Software' started by whitecrook, Mar 17, 2020.

1. whitecrook

Sgarrista

It doesn’t solve the problem, no.

2. mrochester

Soldato

Basically you need 1 machine which you can plug an external drive into to be the machine that downloads all of the originals.

As you’ve mentioned this cannot be your current Mac.

To me that seems to suggest you need another Mac designated for this purpose.

I do pretty much the exact thing as you are trying to achieve except my existing Mac is the machine that houses the originals, so I already have somewhere to plug in an external disc and make a copy.

But I really like the idea of having a Mac mini sitting doing this so I can turn on optimise storage on my MBP!

3. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Thanks. Exactly!

my question was is this the only way, and short of going down a vm route (maybe even a vm on my existing windows pc) it appears to be.

Why cant apple just make a time machine option for icloud. I.e->a literal CHECK BOX to download originals to time machine when plugged in. That way i could use my existing backup/ external drive and setup with dock as i do now but still have orig available and optimise on the laptop. Maybe but apple are removing features from their software these days rather than adding so we’ll see.

4. mrochester

Soldato

I’d say for reliability and how important photos usually are, I wouldn’t be relying on a VM for this task, but that’s just me and the level of risk I’d be prepared to take!

I like the idea of time machine backups downloading new photos on the fly to backup the originals whilst still leaving your Mac with optimise storage turned on. Maybe submit feedback to Apple on that?

5. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Yes, I don't like the VM idea for this task very much, but it's an interesting avenue.

I left enhancement request on apple.com

6. MacRS4

Wise Guy

In the VM you store the Photos on an external drive then, not 'within' the VM. Sorted.

7. Feek

Commissario

The MacGeekGab guys are very against saving the photos library on an external drive, saying that it's known to cause big corruption issues. I've never tried it so I can't comment but they're always very vocal against it whenever it's mentioned.

8. mrochester

Soldato

My approach would be to store the originals in the VM and simply copy the photo library onto an external disk.

9. MacRS4

Wise Guy

For backups....? Perhaps operationally maybe. Dunno, never had an issue with it. On my iMac Pro - my main one - the photos library is on a Samsung X5, and it's been absolutely fine. Backs up to my Min & NAS.

10. whitecrook

Sgarrista

Yes that's what I would do.

Need some data on that. Sounds like it may be 'OK'. I can see corruption issues potentially if it's an external drive that's getting removed and sporadically updated, perhaps even on multiple systems(!) or someone is swappign between different libraries trying to do clever things, but a permanently connected drive to a fixed system with one library should be OK I would have expected and thought.

11. MacRS4

Wise Guy

It is supported from what I can tell. I do know if I try open it from my NAS directly it completely ruins the library. Won't do that again.

12. Feek

Commissario

No, for the main location of your Photo library file.

13. MacRS4

Wise Guy

Sorry, I thought we were talking about backups. I'm confuddled and need human contact, so off to talk to the neighbours dog for a bit