Made it into the 2019 British Photography Awards shortlist!

Man of Honour
OP
It depends how many actually enter, I'm always dubious of competitions where you have to pay to enter, they are doing it for the money not the art. You'll get some awful shots included in the choice because they don't want to discourage people from entering which they would if they were all great shots.

Personally, I'm a massive fan of captured moments such as @mrk's shot, even when I do my wedding photography these are the moments I am looking for. Anyone can do posed photos.

One thing I read ages ago that has always been in mind ever since is that even if 90% of the photos turn out to be just standard photos from a wedding shoot, as long as there is at least one stand-out photo, everything else automatically becomes better for the couple and their friends and family.

Personally for me I try to make every candid photo unique, but some will always be totally unique, something that couldn't be replicated again, a moment that is either caught on camera, or never seen again.

I had loads of photos I wanted to submit, but felt this one was the one to use. I think it helped that recently someone submitted that very shot to Reddit under the Accidental Renaissance sub and it went to the front page. They credited me of course in the post which made me think of it when I saw the competition pop up on my Facebook feed the other week!

Done :)

i kinda like joyous exit,
i imagen a part two to that picture in several years.. but with her holding up a joyous fist clench as she leaves the divorce court :p

Hah that would be quite funny actually! She then has both photos framed on a wall side by side :p

Soldato
Voted and do think it's the best in that category based on interestingness and quality, although also liked 'The Rain'. Some really good photos submitted, will keep an eye on it and see what the outcome is.

Soldato
One thing I read ages ago that has always been in mind ever since is that even if 90% of the photos turn out to be just standard photos from a wedding shoot, as long as there is at least one stand-out photo, everything else automatically becomes better for the couple and their friends and family.

Personally for me I try to make every candid photo unique, but some will always be totally unique, something that couldn't be replicated again, a moment that is either caught on camera, or never seen again.

I had loads of photos I wanted to submit, but felt this one was the one to use. I think it helped that recently someone submitted that very shot to Reddit under the Accidental Renaissance sub and it went to the front page. They credited me of course in the post which made me think of it when I saw the competition pop up on my Facebook feed the other week!

Yeah, I find that the best photos are taken from watching and guessing what's going to happen, you get very good at reading people and situations.

I sit there sometimes editing and thinking "god these are generic, nothing special" then you'll find something that really stands out and changes the way I feel about it.

What's your facebook page? Mine's Something Forever Photography, need to get my website built too but it's finding the time. Working full time, being a dad and husband, other jobs and doing 4-6 weddings a year is about all I manage.

Man of Honour
OP
Voted and do think it's the best in that category based on interestingness and quality, although also liked 'The Rain'. Some really good photos submitted, will keep an eye on it and see what the outcome is.

Going by the main contest page info, seems 4 chosen entrants from each category will be invited to the ceremony in January at the Savoy. That's when the overall winner for each will be announced with runners uo in each one too along with the people's choice award for each category too.

If I make it to that then that would be rather amazing! Invites will be sent out toward the end of this month going by the website info.

Yeah, I find that the best photos are taken from watching and guessing what's going to happen, you get very good at reading people and situations.

I sit there sometimes editing and thinking "god these are generic, nothing special" then you'll find something that really stands out and changes the way I feel about it.

What's your facebook page? Mine's Something Forever Photography, need to get my website built too but it's finding the time. Working full time, being a dad and husband, other jobs and doing 4-6 weddings a year is about all I manage.

Over the years shooting weddings has taught me a lot about behaviour and how and why some people react in certain ways and as you say, you can then predict what is likely to happen next. It's a playground for anyone who loves observjng people and learning all the different kinds of people out there!

Both a friend and I have coined a certain character that is almost always at every wedding. We call him (always been a male so far) the Megawixel.

The Megawixel will hunt you out amongst the crowd, he will question what kind of camera you have and its megapixel count, he will remark on the size of the camera and lens and that it must be professional. He will often say that his phone has a 20MP camera and mention the MBs of storage capacity. He will then talk about how he misses the good old film days when you had to get exposures spot on, but will then revel in the technological revolution of the digital age. He is totally harmless though, but his conversations will often seem bottomless :D

Overall a good laugh though!

My Facebook page is www.facebook.com/khanphoto - Although Facebook has been slipping as of late into paykent based engagement the last year or so and I've been prioritising posting new work on 500px and Instagram then pushing stuff to FB unless I need to share images with the B&G or other people tagged etc for direct engagement.

My website isn't reactive and is in need of an overhaul which I've been planning for years. I think that will be one of my new year's resolutions, to get round to building a new site and switching to it as I have some interesting projects planned like YouTube and Instagram tutorials and behind the scenes narration that I'd like to post as blogs linked from the main site going forwards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always wondered how much "photoshop" is done / allowed in these kinds of competitions?

I thought your photo was the best out of the wedding category - the rest were the normal kind of wedding happy lovey (boring) photos. I guess I'm just that bored kid!

Soldato
Over the years shooting weddings has taught me a lot about behaviour and how and why some people react in certain ways and as you say, you can then predict what is likely to happen next. It's a playground for anyone who loves observjng people and learning all the different kinds of people out there!

Both a friend and I have coined a certain character that is almost always at every wedding. We call him (always been a male so far) the Megawixel.

The Megawixel will hunt you out amongst the crowd, he will question what kind of camera you have and its megapixel count, he will remark on the size of the camera and lens and that it must be professional. He will often say that his phone has a 20MP camera and mention the MBs of storage capacity. He will then talk about how he misses the good old film days when you had to get exposures spot on, but will then revel in the technological revolution of the digital age. He is totally harmless though, but his conversations will often seem bottomless :D

Overall a good laugh though!

My Facebook page is www.facebook.com/khanphoto - Although Facebook has been slipping as of late into paykent based engagement the last year or so and I've been prioritising posting new work on 500px and Instagram then pushing stuff to FB unless I need to share images with the B&G or other people tagged etc for direct engagement.

My website isn't reactive and is in need of an overhaul which I've been planning for years. I think that will be one of my new year's resolutions, to get round to building a new site and switching to it as I have some interesting projects planned like YouTube and Instagram tutorials and behind the scenes narration that I'd like to post as blogs linked from the main site going forwards.

New like from me. Mine's here but tbh, mainly weddings and I only update it about 3 times a year if that, much the wife's annoyance! I'd do it full time if it was up to her. www.facebook.com/SomethingForeverPhotography

I know the sort you mean, he's normally have drunk too! :D

I had a woman at one wedding I did who was a keen amateur, followed me around all day to the point where I had the bridal party on a bridge over a small lake and I was balanced on a rock in the bushes to get the right angle. I heard this loud CLICK right in my ear, I jumped, wobbled and accidentally elbowed her in the face.

Later found out that she'd tried to give the couple her photos before mine saying they'd be better and even ordered them a photobook of her shots, but no editing or anything on them. I'm a stickler for removing things from photos such as fire exit signs etc, anything that takes away from it. Far more work for me but a nicer photo overall.

EDIT: Just seen your video "Quickly removing distractions from your photos", glad it's not just me
:D

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers again!

New like from me. Mine's here but tbh, mainly weddings and I only update it about 3 times a year if that, much the wife's annoyance! I'd do it full time if it was up to her. www.facebook.com/SomethingForeverPhotography

I know the sort you mean, he's normally have drunk too! :D

I had a woman at one wedding I did who was a keen amateur, followed me around all day to the point where I had the bridal party on a bridge over a small lake and I was balanced on a rock in the bushes to get the right angle. I heard this loud CLICK right in my ear, I jumped, wobbled and accidentally elbowed her in the face.

Later found out that she'd tried to give the couple her photos before mine saying they'd be better and even ordered them a photobook of her shots, but no editing or anything on them. I'm a stickler for removing things from photos such as fire exit signs etc, anything that takes away from it. Far more work for me but a nicer photo overall.

EDIT: Just seen your video "Quickly removing distractions from your photos", glad it's not just me
:D

Added back, and also double added as you can like other pages as your own page too via the 3 dots button :cool:

That woman sounds right cheeky!

As for the distractions removal video, yep been trying to find the time to do more stuff like that but I guess that will be part of the little project for the next year. Polish it up, record on location and use gopros mounted on the camera to add in cuts.

Soldato
Voted, nice work. Wedding photography doesn't interest me that much, but your picture is different from the normal wedding shots.

Some really awesome shots in all the categorys. Makes me want to blow the dust off my camera and get shooting again as I haven't touched it in the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom