Mafia Trilogy Remaster

Soldato
Think i will give it a little go the mafia 2 def edition for a hour or so but after seeing some vids theres some differences that i did feel confirm what i expected from my own testing however brief it was.

The new one -

Sharper textures
Sharper shadows

But -

The models look odd, forgot his name but vitos mate at the start that gets him off the army, in the new one he looks fatter in the face, vito does look a bit odd, in some situations his character expressions are lost compared to the original, u can tell a slight smile when he looks at the women in the bar at start in the old one but in the new one it doesnt show very well at all cos of the eye area and the lighting.

The lack of soft focus - In the original this made the game movie like having a soft camera focus i think it is which gives it a film quality, its missing in this new version.
Soft shadows - The new version has far too deep and sharp shadows, It ruins some scenes.
Reflections - Some surfaces look better with reflection in the old version vs this new one, the theatre sign in the cinematic if u compare looks loads nicer in the old version vs new.
Fog - Lacks fog and smoke effects vs the old version i think. Ruins the feels of the city and atmosphere. Plus i think theres more snow on the textures in the old version vs new.

So for me i think its lost its film quality visuals in this new remaster. If a mod thats one click to install instead of faffing about can restore some of the features from the old one in the new one and fix some things like the shadows and facial expressions, it then might be worth being called a remaster.

Oh and im sure the animations been sped up ever so slightly in the new one, in the old one everything felt slower, more calmer and relaxed pace, now it seems its like been set on 1.1 or 1.2 speed on a utube vid lol.

Road more snowy/better soft focus/more steam or smoke effects in the original on the right. timestamp
https://youtu.be/94oIvhuY710?t=97

Theatre sign its brief so pause quick and watch both clips at these times in full screen to see the differences better.
https://youtu.be/94oIvhuY710?t=104

Better smile expression with the eyes and nicer lighting even if a bit lower quality than the new one.
https://youtu.be/94oIvhuY710?t=424

Nicer women in original than the remaster imo. On left - evil looking eyes lol, nicer on the right. Plus original had better hair.
https://youtu.be/94oIvhuY710?t=430
and
https://youtu.be/94oIvhuY710?t=425

This guy tony or somit - looks nicer and kinder in the original vs the stronger skin tone of the remaster and looks odd with the lighting again. So much strong light in this new one i dont like it. Makes em look fake tanned.
https://youtu.be/94oIvhuY710?t=443

Last edited:
Permabanned
I remember quite enjoying Mafia 2 but when I looked in my steam account I had only played for 12 hours. Was there much to do outside the main story? If I remember it want much of a sandbox like GTA.

Soldato
No nothing much outside of the story missions. The packing boxes bit is the worst part of the game but rest isnt too bad, gets better when you get to a more modern era as nicer cars etc.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've had Mafia II on my STEAM for years just never played it, so this week noticed the remastered version pop up in my library to my surprise. I will play that instead then :D

Edit*
Na gonna skip, looks wack.

Man of Honour
I remember quite enjoying Mafia 2 but when I looked in my steam account I had only played for 12 hours. Was there much to do outside the main story? If I remember it want much of a sandbox like GTA.

No - despite it would be a huge draw for the game several of the developers or publishers (can't remember what their actual role was now) actually fully begrudged players any enjoyment of content outside of what had expressly been crafted for and crucially paid for by the player and any extra time you spent with the game should be in their mind via paid DLC (couple of the developers were vile individuals IMO). There are places where you can escape the confines between missions but it very much tried to force you along rails). Unfortunately I think they've been deleted now but there were some comments by one of the 2K employees on this topic that were absolutely horrific IMO.

Sadly with the Mafia games the little touches and attention to detail increasingly become eroded with every iteration and they are what really made the games in the first place. So I doubt I will be spending money on the remasters, etc.

Soldato
Yeah i remember when the demo came out and ppl hacked it so they can drive further than they should and the devs didn't like it one bit. Or was it the timer was disabled, somit like that.

Man of Honour
Yeah i remember when the demo came out and ppl hacked it so they can drive further than they should and the devs didn't like it one bit. Or was it the timer was disabled, somit like that.

Both - people found a way to disable the timer and escape the bounds of the demo - there wasn't much content beyond the bounds of the demo in terms of the story and missions, etc. but you could drive about 1/3rd of the map or so - couple of the devs went nuts - said some really nasty things.

Time limited demos pretty much says what kind of attitude a developer/publisher has towards their customers anyhow - sure limit the content but if you create a compelling demo you have no need to time limit it to keep people interested.

Associate
No nothing much outside of the story missions. The packing boxes bit is the worst part of the game but rest isnt too bad, gets better when you get to a more modern era as nicer cars etc.
I only packed one box then left. Did they change that with the remaster?

What I mean is I played a bit of the remaster and once I done a box it said I could leave. Games still great imo but couldn't finish another play though. Done in twice in past

Mafia 3 I tried at free weekend but thought despite the story being decent the first gun fight felt like something from 20 years ago in mechanics so stopped there.

Mafia 1 remake I'm down for. But for sub £20

Soldato
Yeah I just picked up one box and put it in the truck then buggered off. performance at times is a bit screwy, wonder if it's physx sort of thing, usually pinned at 144fps, yet for instance inside the red dragon restaurant fps is dropping to 40fps with lots of things being shot up, yet according to msi afterburner comp is just chilling cant see where the bottleneck is, think it's either some screwy physx thing or the game

Soldato
tumblr_p41n8ce4SX1wzvt9qo1_540.gif

My bad

Back
Top Bottom