Magic the Gathering (MtG)

www.manaleak.com buy used cards. Since you have so many what you could do is just sort your "good" cards out of it, list them in the above link and just email them saying you have loads of others... be warned you won't get much for them all!

To help you calculate the value of your remaining cards please use the rates below:

£0.002 Cash for any non-rare card.
£0.10 (10p) Cash for any rare card.

Those prices are of course for just generic cards, popular and decent cards fetch more.

If you're just planning to play with your mates, consider drafting.

All you need is basic land, and some un-opened boosters.

Each person brings 3 boosters, and you try and build a deck by picking one card, then passing the rest of the booster to the next guy etc.

I won't bother with a full explanation as there are TONS of guides out there, but I've found it one of the most fun-per-pound-spent ways to play magic. Absolute level playing field (nobody turns up with a £500 deck and wipes the floor with everyone).

If you prefer building decks ahead of time, I suggest considering Commander - 100 card decks but they can last for AGES (as in, I have run some decks for years now with only minimal changes) and it's a 'social' rather than 'competetive' format in most places.

I've been seeing a few spoilers for the modern masters set coming up and was wondering because they cost so much do they hold the value better than other sets? is it worth getting into if you've only been playing for a year and only play with friends? some of the cards seem so overpowered.

Drafting is defiantly the way to go IMO as well.

The way I usually do it with my mates, is we all get a starter set deck, along with several more boosters. We have a tournament with the start decks with a booster going to the winner. Then we have a draft, again winner of the tournament gets a booster. Finally we trade what cards we have so far to boost our starter decks up and play again for another booster.

Lasts the entire day for around £20 per person and you walk away with around another 120 cards.

I used to play in card shops and you either stomp or get stomped. I've a single deck that I have made with singles, cost me around £35 or so. It can beat the crap out of any starter deck or something built with boosters easily but if I go against anything that is twice its value I can't win.

I've been seeing a few spoilers for the modern masters set coming up and was wondering because they cost so much do they hold the value better than other sets? is it worth getting into if you've only been playing for a year and only play with friends? some of the cards seem so overpowered.

'Modern' is the name of one of the larger formats in Magic that allows the use of some older cards. With older sets allowed, there are more cards to choose from, so inevitably there are more, stronger decks in there, and you need to have a generally better deck to compete. Cards that are used in really good Modern decks are harder to find and cost more for this reason, meaning it can be hard to 'break into' the format.

The modern masters products are intended to release more of these sought-after cards into circulation so they are available for newer players and slightly bring the prices down, but as you say they are generally more powerful and expensive cards. As such the boosters are sold for more to make it less profitable to just buy loads in the hope of getting that one gem.

Example card - Tarmogoyf. Look up the rules. Doesn't seem too powerful?

Current price ~$200. Or ~$700 if foiled.

That's one of the cards you can potentially pull from these packs.

Just seen this thread, bring back memories! Sold my cards last year, mostly because I couldn't envisage when I might get chance to play again having not done so in years. Used to love it. So many deck combinations!

I really must get round to selling all my cards...don't play anymore but I know some of the old cards I have are pretty valuable these days so should get rid of them

Just spent £50 on getting my friend a set of Planechase cards + dice as a birthday present, shipped from the USA over ebay.

Is it weird that I think that's a good deal?

I love this game, both card and video, haven't played for a long time though, more recently played some of the video games, which just made me want to play the card game again. Haven't played tabletop since the Urza decks,lol got loads of them stashed away in a box somewhere.

Really considering (after playing the demo of the new PC game) buying a starter deck again and trying to get back into it. Absolutely loved this game years back. Hearing there is a place in Manchester called 'Fan Boy 3' just off Piccadilly that sells cards and has space for games??

Really considering (after playing the demo of the new PC game) buying a starter deck again and trying to get back into it. Absolutely loved this game years back. Hearing there is a place in Manchester called 'Fan Boy 3' just off Piccadilly that sells cards and has space for games??

They run tournaments, yes.

finally got round to looking through and sorting my old cards.
I've pulled a few that I'll keep - simply for nostalgia reasons and I'll probably frame them.

For the rest I'm going to sell them all, just need to find a place to give me a decent value. Some reasonably valuable cards in amongst a lot of common trash

well damn....I got some values and spoke to a couple of places last night just to sure I was looking at it right, some of the cards I've got are worth around £150 each.
I've got nearly £2k in cards just in the rares....take that parents of the 16 year old me who thought it was a waste of money

well damn....I got some values and spoke to a couple of places last night just to sure I was looking at it right, some of the cards I've got are worth around £150 each.
I've got nearly £2k in cards just in the rares....take that parents of the 16 year old me who thought it was a waste of money

Send me a trust message with what you have, might be interested :)

Opened 3 packs of Origins yesterday - Jace!
Did a sealed 2-man with a friend - Liliana!

Hurrah for two £25 cards in a day.

Drafting/sealed Origins seems to be genuinely really fun, and I recommend it.

so my recent addiction to to board games has now lead from star realms onto MTG, i have played the app on and off for months but after playing star realms with the wife she really enjoys the competative aspect of it and we agreed to try somthing a bit deeper.

We went to the local game store and between YuGiOh, Carfight! Vanguard and Magic (i also wanted to look at Pokemon but I would only want the original 151), the store agreed that Magic is the bigger game and although i like the idea of Cardfight reading around it seemed simpler and less strategic then Magic.

We picked up the new clash pack to give the game a go, the owner also gave us a free set of 2x 30 card trial decks to give it a go, unfortunatly im working until Thurday so we will try get a game then.

the addicition may of already started as i order 10 booster packs (5 each) with some spare paypal money i had sat in the account.

Quick question: do you reccomend sleeving cards? i have had a look and the good quality sleeves are only about 10p each but is it really worth it as surely if you do 1 you need to do your whole deck and then there is the whole double sleeve thing i didnt even know existed (maybe at 30 im a bit too old for this but im enjoying it)

Quick question: do you reccomend sleeving cards? i have had a look and the good quality sleeves are only about 10p each but is it really worth it as surely if you do 1 you need to do your whole deck and then there is the whole double sleeve thing i didnt even know existed (maybe at 30 im a bit too old for this but im enjoying it)

I have 3 decks sleeved with the rest of my collection sitting in boxes until I need them, only 1 deck has "expensive" sleeves, with the other two sitting in cheaper ones. The main advantage to a sleeved deck is that you can push the cards together for a better shuffle, you do that if they are not sleeved and you will ruin them.

I've also got several thick plastic "sleeves" to stick rare cards in if I get them in a booster (duel lands, planeswakers) since I will just usually sell them (my group isn't very hard core).

Back
Top Bottom