Mains cable missing from box

Associate
Hi. I bought 2 pre-built gaming PCs from Overclockers - the boys opened the boxes this morning (Christmas day) and the mains cable has been left out in both. They are in tears. The spec says the box should include a Kolink AT/ATX "Kettle Plug" 1.2 5A Fuse Meter Mains Cable. It doesn't. I have kettle plugs that show 250v 10a, but I don't want to risk damaging the PCs and invalidating my warranty. Any advice on whether I can safely use 250v 10a power cable?

Caporegime
10amps is 2300watts? wouldn't it be better to use a lower rated fuse?

The PSU will have it's own fuse anyway right? and this was moved to GD so people can make fun of you most likely or because staff are eating Christmas dinners at home

Soldato
Thanks Terminal Boy. Is there a danger that a power surge would damage the PC, though?

The fuse is there to stop the appliance at the kettle socket end from drawing too much current in the event that it develops a fault. As others have said, a 5A fuse from another plug would be better.

If you want to protect the PC from mains surges/spikes, buy a surge protector extension block.

Caporegime
If you're unsure, can you see what brand the PSUs are? We can probably find the spec sheet online which will give you 100% peace of mind.
I think he only want's confirmation if he uses a 10amp fuse will ocuk void his warranties or not

just steal 5 or 6amp fuses from something else in your house, you must have something

Fuse just determines the maximum power draw before the fuse pops so unless something goes wrong :p but the psu most likely have a fuse or some other fail-safe built in

Caporegime
I think he only want's confirmation if he uses a 10amp fuse will ocuk void his warranties or not

just steal 5 or 6amp fuses from something else in your house, you must have something

Yeah probably. Given that it's just a cable, I couldn't think of a reason for OcUK to not honour the warranty provided there is a fuse built in to the PSU, but then I do not work for overclockers so this is purely a random person's comment.

Caporegime
Would just need to know the wattage of the PSUs to know what amp fuse to fit
5amps is 1150watt more than enough for any PC surely? no one is running SLI anymore?
but he meant to check if the PSU has it's own fuse, not all do but the ones that don't probably have some other failsafe in them

Back
Top Bottom