Mains cable missing from box

Permabanned
Hi - thanks. These are pre-builds - there were no antenna in the boxes. I could try that. Would you recommend any particular brand? The motherboard is a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (socket AM4) DDR4 ATX.

That board doesnt have wifi so I assume there is a usb wifi adapter or a pci wifi adapter? If its PCI then it should have small antennas.

Can you link to the build at all?

Man of Honour
The PSU will have it's own fuse. The fuse in the plug is there to protect the cable, NOT the appliance. It'll be fine :)

Any decent PSU should have features like over-current, etc. protection on its output anyhow and if something on the mains side of the equation has gone wrong then things are pretty screwed up anyhow and all bets are off regardless of fuse size (unless it is way too small value fuse).

Associate
Hi - thanks. These are pre-builds - there were no antenna in the boxes. I could try that. Would you recommend any particular brand? The motherboard is a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (socket AM4) DDR4 ATX.

If you get nowhere with the onboard wifi then i’d suggest going down the powerline networking route. Something like a couple of TP-Link Gigabit AC1200’s or above will sort it out. If your kids are gaming then they will need a solid connection, don’t want the wifi dropping out half way through an online gaming session.

Soldato
If you get nowhere with the onboard wifi then i’d suggest going down the powerline networking route. Something like a couple of TP-Link Gigabit AC1200’s or above will sort it out. If your kids are gaming then they will need a solid connection, don’t want the wifi dropping out half way through an online gaming session.
Deffo no onboard wifi on the b450 tomahawk max, I have one and there's zero :)

Soldato
When connected by wi-fi, you can check the link speed of the wi-fi connection by clicking the wireless network icon on the bottom right and clicking properties for the currently connected network and scrolling down to "link speed".

Might be best to try 2.4Ghz first, as this gives a stronger signal than 5GHz.

Soldato
Soldato
Sorry, I wasn't disputing the fact whether or not has wi-fi. Just trying to see your current link speeds.

I don't really know where you could buy an antenna for your wireless card, especially on boxing day - maybe try the antenna from an old router as a stop-gap until you can roast OcUK on Monday.

When did you receive the PC? I'd have checked that it came with everything a few days beforehand, especially considering it was a Christmas present.

Associate
OP
Yes, I was all for getting them out of the boxes and setting up on Christmas Eve, but my wife wanted them to open them Christmas Day! We are off out to buy antenna today.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Man of Honour
I don't check for appropriately fused kettle leads on anything but ridiculously high powered things, such as their namesake or irons. I couldn't tell you what the fuse ratings are for I have plugged in to my PC or monitors. As long as its above 5A it will work fine, and it's designed to protect the kettle lead rather than the appliance. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Missing WiFi antennas is pretty bad though if they came with the motherboard, I would expect all accessories from the retail parts to arrive with the machine however I've never bought a prebuilt so I'm probably not the best judge.

Caporegime
When did you receive the PC? I'd have checked that it came with everything a few days beforehand, especially considering it was a Christmas present.

Whilst it's a sensible thing to do, especially in hindsight, you shouldn't expect to have to check for missing parts on a £1000 PC build from a premium PC retailer really.

Soldato
Whilst it's a sensible thing to do, especially in hindsight, you shouldn't expect to have to check for missing parts on a £1000 PC build from a premium PC retailer really.
I sort of agree, but when I spend £1,000 on something I want to make sure it's actually working.

Caporegime
I sort of agree, but when I spend £1,000 on something I want to make sure it's actually working.
Obviously you expect it to be working, my point is that it's poor form for people to need to check their £1000 product has actually been shipped with all the parts.

It wouldn't have even occurred to me that a prebuilt PC from a retailer such as OcUK would be getting shipped without a power lead (or WiFi antenna) in the box.

Soldato
Man that is super disappointing. You'd be fine with any kettle lead I'm sure.

Antenna missing. Such a shame.

I remember getting Sam and Max Hit the Road when I was 11ish. I asked my dad to install it and make sure it all worked. He said no.

On Christmas morning the game didn't install, knackered floppy disks. I was gutted. Memory has stuck with me for ever more.

I open all presents where there is any risk. All my lads nurf guns, bop it, science set. All checked.

You shouldn't have to, but raising the QC bar higher just increases prices for mass produced stuff.

On a custom 1k PC. Really sad. The QC should be much higher. Where is the checklist for the builder and packer ticking each thing off? Signature that they've done it.

Caporegime
Yes, a pre built PC that has been posted could have had parts come loose im shipping etc, always a good idea. :)
Obviously you expect it to be working, my point is that it's poor form for people to need to check their £1000 product has actually been shipped with all the parts.
But also yes, you would expect it to work and some people who buy a pre built PC might not even know how to take the side panel off let alone re seat the memory and cards!

I cant see anywhere in the product page where it says it should come with a power lead though. It would be good of OcUK to bundle one in anyway, but I'd probably ask. Since PSU's often dont even come with one, or come with an American one.

Yes, I was all for getting them out of the boxes and setting up on Christmas Eve, but my wife wanted them to open them Christmas Day! We are off out to buy antenna today.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Glad you're on the road to getting it sorted and im sure that if it did indeed say somewhere that kettle leads would be included, that OcUK will happily send you a couple if you post in the CS section. :)

Also be careful when mentioning competitors as its against the rules, strictly speaking. The purple shirt place are competition, albeit not very competitive competition most of the time. :p

Man of Honour
@Stephen Runnalls I've copied your opening post - and some of the pertinent ones in the thread - to the customer services section (it's private, you can only see your own threads). Someone should reply to the thread about your issue, but it will likely be a couple of days at least due to the time of year/weekend etc.

Back
Top Bottom