Making the most (WEIGHTS)

Capodecina
Permabanned
I'm a non working student and can't afford the gym again for the time being and i'm just looking for a little advice on making the most with the VERY basic equipment I have.

What i've basically been doing since I stopped at the gym is pretty much hammering squats, deadlifts, barbell & dumbell curls & pressups once a week on a Wednesday for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

I've got more time in the evenings now so I can work out on different days, but due to the lack of a bench i'm struggling to decide how to structure any kind of routine and I really am stuck for ideas. I know there's not much I can do but I want to make the most of what i've got right now.

Just to clarify, I've got a cruddy EZ curl bar & dumbells.

Can anyone help me out at all?

Last edited:
Soldato
Would you be able to post up your exact routine, I might be able to recommend some different exercises or spot areas where you are lacking. :)

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Linoge said:
Would you be able to post up your exact routine, I might be able to recommend some different exercises or spot areas where you are lacking. :)

Basically it's just been a really inconsistant mess, I haven't took much notice of how many sets i've been performing. The exercises are pretty much as follows..

Wide armed pressup
Behind neck press
Deadlift
Squat
Curls
Weighted crunches

I've got more time to workout now and I know it would probably be more beneficial to work two days instead of just the one at the moment, but with so little equipment at home at the moment i'm not sure what to do really?

Soldato
Wardie said:
Basically it's just been a really inconsistant mess, I haven't took much notice of how many sets i've been performing. The exercises are pretty much as follows..

Wide armed pressup
Behind neck press
Deadlift
Squat
Curls
Weighted crunches

I've got more time to workout now and I know it would probably be more beneficial to work two days instead of just the one at the moment, but with so little equipment at home at the moment i'm not sure what to do really?

How about breaking your routine down into 3 or 4 smaller routines and introducing more exercises and following a certain set/rep formation like 3x8. For example:

Mondays - Chest/Triceps

Weighted Dips 3x8 (Improvise using two chairs, with a rucksack on your back with some weights in it, or with your legs in an elevated position)
Weighted Wide Arm Pressups 3x8 (Again a rucksack on your back with weights in it)
Weighted Close Arm Pressups 3x8 (Same as above)
Skullcrushers with EZ Curl Bar 3x8

Tuesdays - Shoulders/Traps

Arnold Dumbbell Press 3x8 (One of my fav exercises)
Shrugs with EZ Curl Bar 3x8
Upright Rows 3x8
Side Lateral Raises 3x8

Wednesdays - Rest Day

Thursdays - Biceps/Back

Deadlifts 3x8
Alternate Hammer Curls 3x8
Weighted Chin ups 5x10 (Get a cheap chin up bar, really good exercise, you can concentrate on your lats as well)
Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Rows 3x8
Concentration Curls 3x8

Fridays - Legs/Abs

Squats 3x8
Lunges 3x8 (My fav exercise :))
Calf Raises 3x8
Crunches

Saturday & Sunday - Rest days or cardio

The above is just an example based around compound exercises that you can do with the equipment you have. You can find the exercises here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

:)

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
That looks like a fairly good plan for at least a few months, i'll give it a go.

How long roughly should the workout take would you say? I've always never left more than 2 minutes absolute maximum between a set, but typically i've done a lot more than what I will be doing with that routine.

Soldato
I'd say about 40-45 minutes. Some routines may be done quicker but make sure you get your form right and use the first week to assess what weight you are capable of lifting for each exercise. Keep a journal if you wish, and if you did an exercise without really being worked, right down that you should add more KGs to it the following week. :)

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Linoge said:
I'd say about 40-45 minutes. Some routines may be done quicker but make sure you get your form right and use the first week to assess what weight you are capable of lifting for each exercise. Keep a journal if you wish, and if you did an exercise without really being worked, right down that you should add more KGs to it the following week. :)

Journal is a good idea, i'll be going with that, thanks :)

How am I going to do skullcrushers without a bench?

Soldato
:D Just finished my own chest/triceps routine 10 minutes ago, just stirring up a nice protein shake while I type this.

Back
Top Bottom