Malaysian GP 2009 - Race 2/17

Associate
Isn't Ferraris gearbox in the way?
Guess the paper was lying when they said they expected you to run a new diffuser this weekend then.

Why would it, they run a Renault engine :p

I know its wishfull thinking but hopefully everyone can finally move on from the whole diffuser argument and challenge Brawn, Toyota and Williams on the track rather than the court/appeals room.

Soldato
Team principal's don't actually 'design' any car parts... it's a team sport, he gets credit for leading the team.

He may not, but he's a gifted engineer first and foremost - he was head of the group that decided on the new regs and offered to make the more watertight (obviously spotting a trick in the wording himself).

Soldato
Its great to see the Ferrari International Assistance in action again lol!

yeah Ferrari are bitter about Brawn leaving them and producing a stunning car, no doubt they know better than anyone how hard it will be to beat him!

So China will see a new back end on the Mclaren which should be good for them. I guess Brawn GP for the hat-trick :)

The Ferrari International Assistance came into action didn't it :D

Its a shame that they didn't carry on from last season and side with Ferrari on the diffuser row :p

Soldato
I think its a good result for F1 fans, as I believe we are going to see teams like McLaren come from behind and attack Brawn.

Also, I think its important to note that the BrawnGP car really is that far ahead. I actually think that Button/BrawnGP are running conservatively and IMO the 2 BrawnGP cars are capable of lapping every car on the grid, providing the safety car doesnt prevent it.

We saw similar dominance in 1992 and 1993, where the only way other cars could get close was if rain came down or the Williams cars messed up in some way.

Believe me gents when I say that the rest of the field is currently fighting for the minor places behind the BrawnGP cars and it isnt beyond the realms of possibility for Button to win the first 5-6 races of the season.

Man of Honour
Also, I think its important to note that the BrawnGP car really is that far ahead. I actually think that Button/BrawnGP are running conservatively and IMO the 2 BrawnGP cars are capable of lapping every car on the grid, providing the safety car doesnt prevent it.

The way Button put in those few stonking laps while the other leaders had pitted during Malaysia has me largely agreeing with you.
That was brilliant stuff, I don't think they are pushing that car hard *at all* at the moment.

Soldato
Isn't Ferraris gearbox in the way?
Guess the paper was lying when they said they expected you to run a new diffuser this weekend then.

If the newspaper said it,it must be true :D

Well, CS||nuTs said it was more difficult, not that it would not be ready.

I can imagine a redesigned diffuser is top of the list of priorities, especially now that it is official.

After Spain.

Caporegime
The way Button put in those few stonking laps while the other leaders had pitted during Malaysia has me largely agreeing with you.
That was brilliant stuff, I don't think they are pushing that car hard *at all* at the moment.

maybe they dont want to risk failures they didnt do much testing?

dont really belive the car has so much reserve speed myself or barrichello could have used it in aus when he changed his nose

Soldato
maybe they dont want to risk failures they didnt do much testing?

Going into Australia, you would've been correct. This is why most people reserved judgement before the Aussie GP. However, after doing many many laps, in race conditions and in qualifying, its safe to say the car is genuninely fast and reliable.

In fact, in its double decker diffuser configuration, the BrawnGP car will be one of the most tested cars on the track, bizzarrely (along with Toyota and Williams).

dont really belive the car has so much reserve speed myself or barrichello could have used it in aus when he changed his nose

For whatever reason, the car is consistently faster in the hands of Button. Barrichello, to me, seems a little erratic, so far this season. However, whenever Barrichello is allowed to run in clear air, he does make up ground. The safety cars are forcing the BrawnGP cars to bunch up and are making it look like the other cars aren't that far behind, when in fact they are.

Its quite possible that the team are running with conservative settings, as they know they have plenty in hand - so why bother taking the risk of running the car on the limit when it isnt necessary? The giveaway was when Button was required to make those very fast lap times, before refuelling, which wouldve been done by abusing the car a little and running a richer fuel mixture.

Its been a while since we've seen this level of advantage and by rights, the BrawnGP should be qualifying and finishing races 1-2, providing the drivers keep their heads and dont do anything too silly. I'm not sure how long this advantage will last though.

Soldato
Its quite possible that the team are running with conservative settings, as they know they have plenty in hand - so why bother taking the risk of running the car on the limit when it isnt necessary? The giveaway was when Button was required to make those very fast lap times, before refuelling, which wouldve been done by abusing the car a little and running a richer fuel mixture.

:p:p:p

Caporegime
I dont think they have that much advantage in qfy. Its the conservation of the tyres and on the heavier fuel loads that they are a second per lap faster.

I can see it happening quite a few times this year where they get beaten to pole but leapfrog half the field in the first and second pitstops, pretty much the same strategy Brawn used with MS.

Less risky than a on track move.

Soldato
I dont think they have that much advantage in qfy. Its the conservation of the tyres and on the heavier fuel loads that they are a second per lap faster.

Well, Button managed to get pole in both GPs. And I believe in both of them, he was fuelled heavier than those immediately behind him. This would suggest that the car is quite a bit faster.

The race pace of the car is where they do seem to exude a greater advantage.

Caporegime
The Daily Mail claims that 'his withdrawal will also meet with approval in the Hamilton household. Lewis's father and manager, Anthony, finds Dennis prickly and arrogant. They have not seen eye to eye for some time.

How quick they forget the man that paid for practically his whole life.

Prickly and arrogant? How Ironic.

Back
Top Bottom