Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Soldato
So, once again, Alonso has whinged about on track action relating to Hamilton... Surprised we didn't get any radio messages during the race along the lines of "but muuuuuuuuum, its not faaaaaaaair, why should he not be penalised for my crash, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Remind me again, why WaaaaaaaaAlonso such a great driver?

(on the flip side, I think Alonso's penalty is also utterly stupid, and the whole idea of penalising both parties in an incident is even worse!)

You are so blinded by anti Alonso bias that it's just sad to read.
Interestingly, I find there are a lot of similarites between the anti-Alonso brigade and the Alonso persona they describe...

Man of Honour
In other news, the Austin GP venue is now to be called the "Circuit of the Americas" and they have successfully just done a 10 year deal to join the Moto GP Calendar from 2013.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it were me, I would've brake tested Alonso.
I know its unsporting, but if I see a driver as my closest rival, I'm going to use every trick in the book to derail his attempt at overtaking me.

Senna did it a lot at Monaco 1992, to Mansell. But as a top class driver, Mansell knew how to deal with it.

Nothing wrong with a bit brake testing. It keeps the following driver on his toes.

I'd love to see what Hamilton's heartbeats per minute was like before, during and after that duel with Alonso :p

Man of Honour
1983, and the Renault RE40. Exhaust from the the turbocharger was directed to blow right at the point where the flat floor (mandatory after the banning of GE obviously) merges into the diffuser. That would be the earliest iteration of it I could think of, Craig Scarborough seems to agree with me.

So it did. More pictures and info are also on his site here http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/exhaust-blown-diffusers-pics-from-the-past/ Considering it was the first, it's nowhere near as basic as some of the later ones I've seen.

Only went as far back as 1987 first time around, too many gb of images to go though. :D

Caporegime
It's not wednesday yet. :p. Bloody working sat night for this race as well :(

Yep I'm on nights saturday too, what time does china start. Hopefully it won't clash with my sleep at work. :D

Almost worth putting in my sig just to remind people sometimes.. ;)

I wish it still was 92, I loved Mansell winning but most of all I was 18 :D

I'd love to see what Hamilton's heartbeats per minute was like before, during and after that duel with Alonso :p

I think I read Malaysia is already one of the most demanding on the drivers already? I'm sure I saw something that said the heart rate there is higher than at other tracks?

Probably for these guys the heartbeat only goes up another 10 beats when they get in a dual as it's so high already :eek:

Associate
You are so blinded by anti Alonso bias that it's just sad to read.
Interestingly, I find there are a lot of similarites between the anti-Alonso brigade and the Alonso persona they describe...

what are you talking about? he's saying that both parties should be penalised. :eek::eek::o

and I agree Hamilton was having a crap race anyway, just look up the video of his interview with the bbc, I have never seen him more depressed after a race like that before.

Man of Honour
Can expect plenty more chat about the stewards at the next race, the stewards used at Malaysia will officiate the Chinese Grand Prix too.

And the DRS zone has been released, the back straight will be used rather than the start/finish straight.

drs_zone_shanghai-470x609.gif

Caporegime
DRS Fail for China then.

The hairpin off the back straight was already a good overtaking opportunity, it doesnt need DRS. All this will mean is people driving past in a straight line and being infront miles before the corner, and then everyone will complain about how crap DRS is.

Caporegime
Looks like it will be an automatic pass button again then :rolleyes:

Again? It definately wasn't in Aus, and IMO was spot on in Malaysia.

But as I have said, DRS is in a loose loose anyway. If it doesn't work, people complain, and if it does work, people complain.

But yeah, in China it looks like people will be overtaking before they even hit the speed trap.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
But yeah, in China it looks like people will be overtaking before they even hit the speed trap.

It'll hang on how closely the cars can follow each other through T13. If they're just barely able to hang onto the back of another car through there, and be right at the edge of the DRS window when it becomes active, then with the defending car using KERS (if available, obviously) it should still be a bit of a fight down to the braking zone for T14. If they can exit T13 right with the car in front, then they'll be ahead by the speed trap line.

***edit***

Just looked at the map properly. The gap for determining DRS activation is measured at T12, where the cars will be bunched a bit from braking for the slow T11. You've then got the exit of T12 and the acceleration through T13 for the car ahead to build a gap while the car behind is aero tight. I don't see KERS being as good a defensive aid as at other tracks this time around now. The drivers with KERS will use a bit on the main straight down to T1, some between T4 and T5, some between T10 and T11, and whatever is left will be gone long before the hairpin at T14. Going to be interesting to see how that pans out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Again? It definately wasn't in Aus, and IMO was spot on in Malaysia.

But as I have said, DRS is in a loose loose anyway. If it doesn't work, people complain, and if it does work, people complain.

Absolutely wasn't in Oz, but then the straight was too short. In Malaysia, in the cases where the DRS actually worked and the car chasing wasn't nursing a problem, it was alomst an automatic pass everytime. I can see it being even worse in China.

There will always be people who complain either way, people don't like change. Most of the people against see it as too artificial - I hate that the car "defending" can't use it (or even apparently block all that much) - the whole system takes the fun out of racing. The other half of people want to increase the excitement and racing, and while I want this too, the current use of the DRS is not the way to do it.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just looked at the map properly. The gap for determining DRS activation is measured at T12, where the cars will be bunched a bit from braking for the slow T11. You've then got the exit of T12 and the acceleration through T13 for the car ahead to build a gap while the car behind is aero tight. I don't see KERS being as good a defensive aid as at other tracks this time around now. The drivers with KERS will use a bit on the main straight down to T1, some between T4 and T5, some between T10 and T11, and whatever is left will be gone long before the hairpin at T14. Going to be interesting to see how that pans out.

Would you realistically expect an overtake between 4 and 5? Genuine question :)

I expect the drivers to use a bit down to T1, between T10 & 11 and then save as much as possible for the DRS zone, if they're under pressure.

As for the "same stewards".. I hope they aren't as inconsistent as football referees that give away a bad decision, then feel the need to right the wrong by giving away the littlest decision to "balance it out" :/

Caporegime
The DRS activation is quite far up on the straight, maybe it won't even give enough of an advantage at the end of the straight?

Its at its maximum. DRS zones are (i think) 800m at the most, working backwards from the braking point. At Australia and Malaysia they were shorter as the straights werent long enough, so this zone will be even longer than the ones we have seen so far, and the cars will already be up to speed (no spinning on corner exits like Sutil).

Back
Top Bottom