Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Soldato
That's the reasoning behind giving the drivers free reign over the use of DRS during practice - so that the teams can adjust the gear ratios to allow a little headroom for the extra speed gained from KERS/DRS/slipstreams.

Quite why they allow it in quali is beyond me though as the cars are in parc ferme conditions straight after that so no changes can be made.

Man of Honour
Its at its maximum. DRS zones are (i think) 800m at the most, working backwards from the braking point. At Australia and Malaysia they were shorter as the straights werent long enough, so this zone will be even longer than the ones we have seen so far, and the cars will already be up to speed (no spinning on corner exits like Sutil).

Melbourne's DRS zone was 867m, in effect it was a bit shorter as drivers had to wait till the car was stable before deploying full throttle, DRS and KERS.

Sepang was 900m and Shanghai is 900m too.

Man of Honour
OP
As i've been lazy here's some updates

unledrie.jpg

Race - Vettel keeps cool to win Malaysian thriller
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel made it look so easy as he scored his second victory of the season and extended his world championship points tally to 50 on Sunday afternoon in Malaysia. The German took the lead at the start, nursed his tyres through three pits stops, avoided using his problematic KERS from the 29th lap after instruction from his team, yet was still 6.1s ahead of a charging Jenson Button in the McLaren with a lap to go.

Malaysian Grand Prix - selected team & driver quotes
Williams on their second double DNF; Renault's Vitaly Petrov on his dramatic leap over the kerbs and into retirement; McLaren's Lewis Hamilton on his disappointing day; and Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel on dealing with several issues to match his Melbourne victory. The drivers review their Sundays at Sepang...

Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso hit with penalties
McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso have been hit with 20-second penalties following a collision in Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

alaysian Grand Prix - top three drivers
Podium finishers Sebastian Vettel, Jenson Button and Nick Heidfeld give their reactions to the Malaysian Grand Prix as Red Bull's Vettel wins his second race in succession.

Highlights - Malaysian Grand Prix
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel puts in another flawless performance to win an eventful Malaysian Grand Prix, with McLaren's Jenson Button second and Nick Heidfeld third.

Malaysian Grand Prix in 90 seconds
Watch short highlights as Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel takes the chequered flag at Sepang ahead of Jenson Button and Nick Heidfeld after an action-packed Malaysian Grand Prix.

unlednr.jpg

unledsf.jpg

unledc.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some interesting points here on the penalties dished out in Malaysia on Joe Sawards blog.

"The good news was that I have been able to make some discreet inquiries about the penalties given at the Malaysian Grand Prix and I think that I now understand what happened. The first point was that the FIA is not being inconsistent, but rather trying to establish limits that will create consistency in the new world of DRS and KERS. This is important to avoid dangerous wheel-over-wheel accidents. The drivers and teams are very keen to know the limits and both teams strongly urged the FIA to create clear guidelines during the hearings after the race in Kuala Lumpur.

However there are a couple of other things that need to be borne in mind about the processes involved. There was no complaint from any team. The decision to look at the incidents came from Race Director Charlie Whiting. The fact that one decision was listed as “following a report from the Race Director” and the other was not seems to have been a clerical error. The question of Lewis Hamilton’s penalty for weaving was due to two factors: the first was that Lewis was warned about weaving a year ago when he got away with zig-zagging in front of Vitaly Petrov. That was deemed to be a question of trying to break a tow, but this year he was reckoned to be blocking. The difference was that in this day and age of KERS and DRS there is going to be more speed differential between the cars and so blocking may become more of an issue. The stewards seem to have concluded that it was necessary to punish Hamilton so that no-one in the future could complain that they had been punished when Hamilton was not… A line was being drawn in the sand."

For those that said Alonso bitched and whined well it seems neither Ferrari or Alonso complained about Hamilton weaving.

Another interesting theory he come up with as to why Alonso may have hit Hamilton. Of course just a theory but it could hold some truth...

"So, Alonso misjudged the situation, which seems rather odd given his level of skill. On this matter there is no explanation, although one might hypothesize that he was caught out when Hamilton’s car ran out of KERS. The FIA would know this, but the federation is not allowed to divulge details of data from one team to another and so would not be in a position to explain the accident, without rival teams learning something about the McLaren…

It is just a theory, but it might explain why Alonso was caught out."

Caporegime
And nary a single **** was given by the usual suspects who slate any decision from the FIA or race stewards as being pro-Ferrari...:)

Not that teams complaining or otherwise would have any bearing on the supposed bias present in the FIA.

Caporegime
Some interesting points here on the penalties dished out in Malaysia on Joe Sawards blog.
"

cant believe people read his blogs he seems up his own arse like hes won the drivers championship multiple times :S usually anything he writes about has to be about him just as much as anything else..

Soldato
cant believe people read his blogs he seems up his own arse like hes won the drivers championship multiple times :S usually anything he writes about has to be about him just as much as anything else..
I'm starting to get fed up with his blogs. As you say a lot of them are about him and how he thinks he's a better F1 journo than almost anyone else because he's one of the few "expert" F1 journos and not just some general sports journo sent out to F1 races without really knowing about F1.

I read James Allen's blog, I might ditch Joe Saward's soon. Any other F1 blogs to suggest for me to follow? :)

Caporegime
I'm starting to get fed up with his blogs. As you say a lot of them are about him and how he thinks he's a better F1 journo than almost anyone else because he's one of the few "expert" F1 journos and not just some general sports journo sent out to F1 races without really knowing about F1.

I read James Allen's blog, I might ditch Joe Saward's soon. Any other F1 blogs to suggest for me to follow? :)
he also asks people to donate money via paypal or whatever on his blog...

if he was that good he could make a living out of it without assking people who read his crappy blog to give him money, he even lol at the aus weekend did some joesaward fanfast conference thing people could buy tickets for :D

Soldato
Edit: Forgot about The F1 Fanatic blog which is good at graphing lots of stats like lap times - http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/
Nice one. Cheers. :)

he also asks people to donate money via paypal or whatever on his blog...
He does? Well he is freelance. Not sure why being an F1 journo attached to a paper is bad. James Allen's paper is the Financial Times I think.

if he was that good he could make a living out of it without assking people who read his crappy blog to give him money, he even lol at the aus weekend did some joesaward fanfast conference thing people could buy tickets for :D
He's also written some books which I would have thought would make him some money. He does talk about them every so often. :p

I did see his post about the Aussie GP conference thingy too.

Back
Top Bottom