Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

The FIA also choose who is allowed to race (via super-license) the whole sport must be fixed then.

Way off the mark..AGAIN..

The only time the FIA choose a driver is when
" Appendix L also allows the FIA to award a Super Licence to a driver who does not meet the normal criteria if a vote reveals unanimous agreement by the members,
and provided that the driver has completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence

Last edited:
So, once again, Alonso has whinged about on track action relating to Hamilton... Surprised we didn't get any radio messages during the race along the lines of "but muuuuuuuuum, its not faaaaaaaair, why should he not be penalised for my crash, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Remind me again, why WaaaaaaaaAlonso such a great driver?

(on the flip side, I think Alonso's penalty is also utterly stupid, and the whole idea of penalising both parties in an incident is even worse!)

Remind me again, why WaaaaaaaaAlonso such a great driver?

Because somehow he managed to drag a car that was miles off the pace to even get close to challenging hamilton is pretty damn decent. Despite the accident he was still over a pitstop ahead of his team mate.

Pretty good driving up til that point. He over did it, but that's close racing for you.

As for complaining if Brundle is to be believed (so far he's the only one reporting it) does it matter?

They all do it, they all make complaints and the teams run with it. If there was no weaving then no penalty would have been given.

If Alonso had done it all the whingers on here would be claiming he had brake tested hamilton.

Both made a mistake, both got a penalty, don't see what all the fuss is about, except to haters.

If it were me, I would've brake tested Alonso.
I know its unsporting, but if I see a driver as my closest rival, I'm going to use every trick in the book to derail his attempt at overtaking me.

Senna did it a lot at Monaco 1992, to Mansell. But as a top class driver, Mansell knew how to deal with it.

Nothing wrong with a bit brake testing. It keeps the following driver on his toes.

I know its unsporting, but if I see a driver as my closest rival, I'm going to use every trick in the book to derail his attempt at overtaking me.

Senna did it a lot at Monaco 1992, to Mansell. But as a top class driver, Mansell knew how to deal with it.

Nothing wrong with a bit brake testing. It keeps the following driver on his toes.

Can expect a race ban or similar then.

All throttle and brake inputs are recorded.

It's not 1992 anymore, if they even caught you doing it you would get a ban. If you did it and caused an accident you would miss a sizeable section of the season.

So how would you live with it if your stupid actions ended up hurting another driver so he couldn't race again?

Brake testing along with running drivers towards walls is not the actions of racing fair or hard. It's the actions of a desperate idiot.

Way off the mark..AGAIN..

The only time the FIA choose a driver is when
" Appendix L also allows the FIA to award a Super Licence to a driver who does not meet the normal criteria if a vote reveals unanimous agreement by the members,
and provided that the driver has completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence

Aye you're right, they turned down Loeb, but allowed Kimi.

Fact is though, the stewards make the race decisions not the FIA. Your argument that the FIA pick the stewards, stands up as well say stating well the queen appoints the prime minister.

Can expect a race ban or similar then.

All throttle and brake inputs are recorded.

I hear what you are saying...I would still have done it. There isn't even a question in my mind of not doing it.

All top drivers get banned at some stage in their career and/or have major run-ins with the authorities...its all part and parcel of F1.

I know its unfair to do that to someone, but if Alonso were my main rival, I would want him to always be aware that I will have no qualms about stooping to unscrupulous tactics, if the need arose. Keep in mind that Alonso and Hamilton are likely to be the 2 top drivers in F1 for many years to come. I would prefer to get my ban out of the day now, so that for the next 5 years or so...Alonso will be weary when attempting a 50-50 overtake.

With regards to causing bodily harm should an accident occur: the FIA already deemed Hamilton to be weaving...weaving can also cause accidents. In fact, what Alonso did when he crashed into Hamilton a few days ago, could also have caused an accident. Brake testing is generally something which is done when coming out of a slow speed corners, so any accident caused will be low speed and is unlikely to end somebody's career. More usually, you are looking at a broken wing or a gentle tap from behind, causing a slow speed spin (for both drivers).

At the end of the day this is F1 and any F1 driver must be aware of what may occur when racing against another driver, especially if he has a reputation for being aggressive/unfair or even worse - if there is prior history (bad blood).

It must also be noted that I would never do this sort of thing against a lesser driver...only a top class driver would be able to handle continuous brake testing. For example, I would be mad to try it against Kobayashi or Webber, as these drivers would almost certainly end up clattering into the back of me, so I would pick my opponents carefully.

Senna is an idiot?

No he was a ****ing tool that used his car as a weapon. If the FIA had any balls he would have been forced to sit out the following year and send a lesson to all drivers that it wasn't acceptable. A trick they bottled with Schumacher as well.

As soon as Senna admitted it he should have been on the sidelines. Is he one of the fastest and greatest of all time, undoubtably. Doesn't mean he wasn't a **** at times.

Brake testing has no place in modern F1. Your story of doing it early in a career is balls tbh. If you had to sit out most of the season through a ban you career could be over before it got started.

It wouldn't make a driver like Alonso worried that you would do it again, he would hope you was idiotic enough to do it again so you spent even longer on the sidelines with another title up in smoke. He'd practically be begging you to be idiotic enough to do it again.

Exhaust blown diffusers - I know they're not a new idea - can anyone remember when the first one was?

Been going through various drawings and photo's that I have and the earliest I can find at the moment is 1990 on the Lotus 102 and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new idea then.

As soon as Senna admitted it he should have been on the sidelines. Is he one of the fastest and greatest of all time, undoubtably. Doesn't mean he wasn't a **** at times.

Hamilton has pulled some moves that others on the grid have complained were unsporting or overtly aggressive.

So that leads to the next question.

Is being a **** part and parcel of being a great F1 driver ?

Hamilton has pulled some moves that others on the grid have complained were unsporting or overtly aggressive.

So that leads to the next question.

Is being a **** part and parcel of being a great F1 driver ?

I don't think it hurts, but break testing is a serious issue that will be looked upon extremely harshly in modern F1. If you could get away with it, it would probably prove to be an advantage for you, but it's impossible to get away with it with telemetry, and if you're getting DQed which is the minimum that would happen, people would want you to break test them.

Exhaust blown diffusers - I know they're not a new idea - can anyone remember when the first one was?

Been going through various drawings and photo's that I have and the earliest I can find at the moment is 1990 on the Lotus 102 and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new idea then.

1983, and the Renault RE40. Exhaust from the the turbocharger was directed to blow right at the point where the flat floor (mandatory after the banning of GE obviously) merges into the diffuser. That would be the earliest iteration of it I could think of, Craig Scarborough seems to agree with me.

I don't think it hurts, but break testing is a serious issue that will be looked upon extremely harshly in modern F1. If you could get away with it, it would probably prove to be an advantage for you, but it's impossible to get away with it with telemetry, and if you're getting DQed which is the minimum that would happen, people would want you to break test them.

the brake testing thing is a non issue

Drivers will do whatever they think they can get away with at the time.

If senna were around today, he wouldn't be brake testing people if he knew it would get him a 10 race ban.

Back
Top Bottom