Mallorca protests.

Caporegime
I get their issues tbh. I think this has been exacerbated since COVID whereby people just seem to have gone down a couple of notches on the behavioural scale.

We have a couple of air BnBs in the fields and woodland near us (cabins, old style wooden caravans etc) and some of the people in them are just absolute arse holes. Why go to a quiet rural area if you want to blast out crap music and get smashed?

Soldato
Seems like a failure of government to prevent / adequately tax this.
True, there are things local communities can do to fix these issues. St.Ives Cornwall is a popular place to own a 2nd home for southerns and it's popularity resulted in locals being priced out the area. Under the leveling up and Regeneration Act the local council has introduced a 2nd home tax, changes to tax law and loan interest no longer being tax deductible has somewhat stopped the issue getting worse. Even still though by people forcing locals out the area the town will loose everything that made it characterful in the first place and it just becomes another expensive sea side town.

Don
To be fair, going by what a couple of my uncles have said that's always been the case with customs at some of the big US airports ;)
I can't remember which airport it was, but one of my uncles would very deliberately avoid it because the customs/immigration staff there always gave him hassle/seemed grumpy due to him being being a dual citizen with England and Aus, he never had that problem at several other airports (from what he said it seemed it was the combination of him flying from England on an English passport with an aussie accent).
The immigration folk can have a bit of a reputation, but I've never had an issue.

What I've noticed though, certainly this year, was a vibe of "what the **** are you doing here" but a bit more polite about it from a handful of people when I get chatting on chair lifts when I'm skiing, which I certainly didn't get pre-covid. It could equally be about flying from an environmental point of view, but certainly Airbnb has ruined a lot of places for the locals.

Soldato
Are there any other jobs in Cornwall beyond those associated with the tourist industry ? Plus would imagine tourists prop up the economy for many towns down there.

I remember the "Keep Cornwall Cornish" graffiti that used to be scrawled on a bridge over the old A30 - was there for years.
I'm not sure what it's like today. But when I was there last the first time I drove in to Camborne the traffic was diverted, someone had thrown themself off one of those small bridges into the road.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I sort of see where they are coming from, but when their entire country has been geared towards tourism for a good amount of time now.

Sorry but going round spraying tourists with stuff is bang outta order, could be anything they're squirting!

Since a year before COVID we've been going to mallorca and majorca, me the missus and the bairns and a few holidays with my parents in tow too.
We've always had a great time, spent a fair wedge of cash and not seen one bit of trouble, the areas we've been have always been very heavily tourist orientated.
The staff and the general Populous around have always been amazing with the kids as well, far better than other countries we've been to.
With some of the places let by like TUI and Jet2 hiring both locals and others for things like kids clubs and the like, so in effect helping with jobs.

To see this recently where in some areas their main income is via tourism, with over the season (what 6/7 month) ending up to be I think I read something daft like 70+% of their income for the year.
Then you see the other articles from say pub and restaurant owners saying they've notice a lack of footfall, they're fearful for the annual takings and some flat out laying off staff!?

The locals doing the best to "protect their country" really comes across as a nose/face scenario in my eyes.

Whilst I understand the upset that some may not be able to afford homes in the hotspots where the tourism is big... Same can be said for the UK tonnes of FTB struggling to even get on the ladder.
It's down to their government to change things and look to things like 2nd home taxes and maybe even some kick backs (or additional taxes) for the tourism industry as a whole over the year.

Bloody moaning at and berating travellers who've decided to travel to the country and then gan squirting **** at them whilst they're trying to spend some money, helping the local economy isn't going to fix owt.
Wonder how a tourist would fare if they responded to being squirted by chucking a ping or glass of wine over the offender would fare (the liquid not the bloody glass!)

We opted for Greece and Malta this year instead, so that's a few weeks worth of spending Mallorca and Majorca will miss.
Shame as we all liked the places we went and typically always went to the same places ran by locals, so feel for them as well

Soldato
Good for them all the properties are being bought up by foreigners apparently don't blame the protesters in teh slightest

Are there any other jobs in Cornwall beyond those associated with the tourist industry ? Plus would imagine tourists prop up the economy for many towns down there.

I remember the "Keep Cornwall Cornish" graffiti that used to be scrawled on a bridge over the old A30 - was there for years.
Fishing, agriculture therss a programme in BBC2 weekdays featuring the fishing community and they have the same woes no properties for locals anymore at least none affordable all gone to wealthy second homers and AirBNB'ers

Last edited:
Soldato
Plenty of other places to go, let them kill off their tourist industry and feel different impacts. Is a difficult problem to solve, may be taxing air bnb and holiday homes and alike to free up property and reduce costs
Taxing multiple properties as well really, I can see why locals are mad.

Soldato
i think there's only 2 Cornish at work in the same team as me , Midlands London ect ect basically like me they come on holiday but want to stay on holiday so move down here
And price the locals out which seems to be the problem both here and in other countries.

Associate
I have no sympathy for them, it's a global phenomenon of nice places seeing rents and house prices sky rocket. For no fault of their own my children will struggle to buy a house where we live now.

If they don't like it they should move.
Exactly. Your kids can go find somewhere else to live if they don't like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom