Mallorca protests.

Associate
So, just like most ski resorts across the planet then?

Is the seasonal workers that the locals hate or the tourists?
There’s not much going on in ski resorts apart from skiing 4 or 5 months of the year. The population of these resorts is probably tiny out of season

I’d guess the locals resent what they see as over-tourism/tourist saturation, and the cash generated not benefitting Majorca/Majorcans

Associate
I have no sympathy for them, it's a global phenomenon of nice places seeing rents and house prices sky rocket. For no fault of their own my children will struggle to buy a house where we live now.

If they don't like it they should move.
This assumes those affected have had some sort of choice, i.e. decided to live somewhere that's a hot-spot. Imagine if wherever you live right now suddenly (or gradually over time) becomes massively desirable as a destination for one reason or another. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be a bit put out that for a limited time each year their cost of living sky rockets, and in other periods properties are standing empty despite local people being desperate for somewhere to stay.

I do understand your sentiment in some circumstances, but it's not as simple as saying 'well you shouldn't live somewhere nice then'. If your family, friends, everything you know is tied to a particular location it's not that simple to just move somewhere else.

Don
So, just like most ski resorts across the planet then?

Is the seasonal workers that the locals hate or the tourists?
I think ski resorts are slightly different, the locals enjoy the facilities on their doorstep, but it’s a case of “it’s s local shop for local people”. I remember a chat with a restaurant owner a few years back and they were quite upfront that they wouldn’t be able to keep things so “cheap“ if they didn’t resort to illegal Mexicans in the back. It’s now Argentinians/Chilieans. It keeps the prices down so locals don’t care. But since Airbnb took off it’s sucked up property that’s priced locals out and cause issues with seasonal workers being forced further from the resort and making it a less attractive work destination.

Caporegime
Can't be long before people just outright either steal people's property or set it on fire when inevitably the politicians continue to acquiesce to "tourists".

Associate
There are multiple threads on this over on Reddit where Spanish people are chiming in and the anger seems to be normal residential properties being used as AirBnBs mostly (and I’ve seen a couple of mentions of the low wages in Spain and their reduced buying power vs foreign investors)

I think spraying tourists or trying to make them feel unwelcome is a step too far but I can understand their frustrations

Soldato
Aren't they going to start driving out the scurge of airbnb in Mallorca like Barcelona - Sadiq/KS are you listening.

Back
Top Bottom