Manchester United: Frustration

Caporegime
""If I were to start the season with all the players I've got available, all fit, I don't think the supporters would be disappointed - neither would I.""

errr - perhaps he should listen to the fans. everyone is clamouring for new players. SAF could choose to ignore the fans, but with statements like the above he is only deluding himself.

Soldato
Ripper^ said:
No chance, he's not going to get sacked before any results backup the claim that the team he starts the season with will be a failure.

Of course there's a chance, the Glazers gave him last season to do something based on his previous successes. Now the honeymoon period over, it's back to business and that means winning trophies and bringing more revenue into the club (and their pockets). The Glazers have given Ferguson a transfer kitty reported to be up to £50million pounds, now the optimist in me would love to believe the figure is that high but I'm sure the reality is probably little over half that sum.

From their point of view, they want change, they want new players just like us fans, they have given Ferguson the means and opportunity to do so this summer. Having players come back from injury should never be treated like we have a new player, although every single season when we have missed a big player through injury, Ferguson treats it as the second coming of Christ. Ferguson will do bog all next season with our squad, we all know this and ultimately the Glazers know this. As much as I don't like their ownership of the club, the buck starts and stops with them. They want success.

Ripper^ said:
I still believe we'll finish 2nd comfortably if we dont get any injuries.

o rly?

sunama said:
Or, he might be commended by the the Glaziers for saving them money.

The Glazers will have to spend big to reap financial rewards in the future.

Soldato
A lot of spending has gone on over the summer, Utd risk getting swamped by Chelski, Liverpool Arsenal and Tottenham IMO with other clubs knocking on the door. even with just 1 decent central midfielder, you would do your chances no harm!

Anyway I'm a scouse fan, so I hope you dont buy anyone, Fletcher 4tw

Soldato
OP
Tony Soprano said:

Yeh. The way i see it is that teams like Arsenal and Liverpool havn't made signings that worry me much. Arsenal at the moment only have Rosicky, and they've lost campbell/cole(virtually). Liverpool have added a few players but whether they improve the team remains to be seen, I simply think all they've done is added more depth to their squad (bar bellamy who will improve their starting 11). Remember, we finished second last year without heinze all season. Saha and Smith only had half a season each and RvN hasn't gone yet (although its fairly obvious he will). As crap as our midfield was we still put one over most teams and finished 2nd.

I'm not trying to say we're fine but its not as much of a disaster if we dont sign anyone as people think.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nickg said:
dude did u watch man utd play last season? center midfield - shambolic, and that was with our forst choice players! something needs to be done to stop the rot...

Yeh, but we finished 2nd. We're poor but other teams aren't any better.

Soldato
Confusion said:
arsenals midfield will be very lightweight next season, on Gilberto will be the only physical player in the midfield, plenty of pace though!

When Diaby is back I'm sure he'll add physical presence, also Flammini ain't no push over.

Soldato
bingham67 said:
Celtic freindly on channel 5 anyone watching its reserves playing for utd though apart from scholes and evra really. :)

Mediocre first half.

Scholes looks like the player he was the last time I saw him in a United shirt... Our fullbacks look useless. Bardsley has been absolutely dire - caught out of position constantly and poor distribution. More like the player NickG has been describing ;) Evra has also been pushing on too much and done very little right.

I hate to say it but our best players have been Fletcher (I know), Evans (Belfast lad and constantly covering back when Bardsley is AWOL :D), Brown and Foster. Rossi has been really quiet other than the nice turn.

I have no idea why they're ranting about Martin. He's looked pretty poor to me.

Soldato
Far better second half for Scholesy. He crafted some really nice passes and had a few good efforts. I thought that centreback McShane looked pretty decent as well, very solid control and some nice passes too.

Sorry we didn't see more of David Jones though :(

IceBus said:
Far better second half for Scholesy. He crafted some really nice passes and had a few good efforts. I thought that centreback McShane looked pretty decent as well, very solid control and some nice passes too.

Sorry we didn't see more of David Jones though :(

Given the nature of the game and the players I thought we did well. Scholes looked quite good but will be interesting to see him against better opposition.

Soldato
williamw11 said:
Given the nature of the game and the players I thought we did well. Scholes looked quite good but will be interesting to see him against better opposition.

Definitely. Very solid result for what was effectively our reserves (minus Scholes and Brown).

I was just pleased to see Scholes getting some shots on target and picking out some good passes like he used to.

Associate
celtic reserves were worse than your reserves by a considerable margin
first team:
Boruc
Telfer
Balde
McManus
Wilson
Nakamura
Petrov
Jarosik
Mlaoney