Marcus Rashford

Permabanned
Well, let's make sure we pressure the government to only put tax rises on the wealthier members of society.

Even better: we could do that whilst pressuring them to actually reduce taxes on those poor people you highlight. That way, everyone's happy. Even you.
I reckon amazons missing tax bill should cover it easily.

Soldato
Could Rashford have simply set up a charity and made it voluntary rather than mandating it from already strained government budgets? If you want to pay £1.80 that's fine, maybe I would too. But there is an opportunity cost to this money being spent.

He could. But so could you. Nobody is stopping you from donating to charities that provide these services or even starting one yourself.

Me too. But there's no doubt there are single people working full time struggling to make ends meet who are going to face a tax rise to pay for other people's children to have free meals. Should we not just let charity cover things like this, then people can choose to contribute rather than have it forced on them?

Then only increase the tax on the high earners, like Rashford. If you choose to earn more then you choose to pay more :)

Pet Northerner
Don
“Dear @MarcusRashford,” Hopkins tweeted. “Do you think women should think about how they are going to feed a child before they decide to have it? I do not want to pay to feed other people’s kids. You are welcome to. Thank you, Katie Hopkins.”

I know totally different right?
I think you misquoted originally - Dis said nothing like that but Roar did.

Caporegime
In that case my apologies sir. I took it the wrong way :eek: :).

Np. Don't get me wrong, there are some people who take the mick, my cousin is an unfortunate example of it but right now I have a utility room with food parcels in that the gf was dropping off for her students that require them. Unfortunately some will have to wait until tomorrow as they weren't home!
These will be continuing throughout the summer holidays.

Soldato
OP

Ehhh :confused:

The J.K Rowling news was hardly a positive story unless you consider casual hate speech about trans people positive?
And I actually posted a positive story about gay & trans no longer being persecuted by employers in the US, again don't see how that is negative unless you are homophobic or trans-phobic !

Oh don;t get me wrong. Roars attitude is bang out of order in my opinion - and this is coming from someone who lives with just his partner and has no plans to ever have kids. I'm happy to be taxed a couple of quid a month to help avoid poverty.

That's because you posses empathy and compassion, many here are rather primitive and seem to have skipped that part in their evolution!

Soldato
We're probably going to be spending the best part of half a trillion pounds on trying to prop up everything through this and there's people moaning about spending another £120 million on feeding the most vulnerable in society and how that might affect them

This thread really does sort the wheat from the chaff

Soldato
He could. But so could you. Nobody is stopping you from donating to charities that provide these services or even starting one yourself.

I wasn't asking the tax payer to fund the meals though, why would I do that? I feel people who want to donate should simply donate and not expect the tax payer to fund everything. Charity is great, it allows people who want to help out to do that without burdening everyone with the cost.

Caporegime
Anyone against this is basically saying 'I want kids to go hungry in the UK'. They should be ashamed. £120m is nothing in the government budget these days.

Soldato
I wasn't asking the tax payer to fund the meals though, why would I do that? I feel people who want to donate should simply donate and not expect the tax payer to fund everything. Charity is great, it allows people who want to help out to do that without burdening everyone with the cost.

In my opinion, charity should not exist. The state, funded by taxes (which should be largely provided by higher earners) should be able to provide for everyone. Every charity required is a failure of the state to provide adequate care.

Permabanned
Np. Don't get me wrong, there are some people who take the mick, my cousin is an unfortunate example of it but right now I have a utility room with food parcels in that the gf was dropping off for her students that require them. Unfortunately some will have to wait until tomorrow as they weren't home!
These will be continuing throughout the summer holidays.
No I red her comment and thought no one else is silly enough to have the same views and took your post the wrong way.

It really should be an embarrassment to be sat here with all our mod cons and BMW’s on the drive when we have people living in poverty around the world. We have enough to go around we just need to be less greedy and less selfish as a species.

Rashford is a positive role model for any young person growing up we need more of them and less of Katie Hopkins.

Soldato
OP
Nice thing to do.

But couldn't he have contributed and gotten his football team mates involved?

Hes a multi millionaire worth 50m.

He has already donated loads of his free time (something which money can't buy btw) helping out lots of people less fortunate than himself!
But hey, you keep having a sly dig at him :rolleyes:

Soldato
Seeing as I work in a school where most of the families get given food packages courtesy of FairShare I'm really happy of this news. You don't realise quite how many young people only get food at school or when an engagement worker sees them due to family reasons.

I don't like being taxed any more than anyone else would but if it means children aren't going hungry and without, I'm all for it.

You've got to be a right selfish and miserable so and so to be annoyed about hungry children getting fed.

As you work in a school, you must have also seen those parents/carers that are the root of why many of these kids go hungry. Irresponsible use of the benefits given to feed kids is a real issue.

While this money is a positive thing, there will be kids missing out due to the root problem.

Back
Top Bottom