Massive blast in Beirut

Man of Honour
Some closer footage to the blast

If you look on the left, middle vertically, can see 2-3 people on the roof near where the closest footage was filmed - possibly even the same people :( there is another video covering that angle but I can't link to it due to content.

holy crap, did they make it through that ok? Hope they're ok.

Don't know if accurate - I've seen on Twitter 2 people whose background tends to suggest they are linked to the people filming saying different things - one that the guy died and the women badly hurt but stable and another that they both survived with moderate injuries.

EDIT: In the comments there is a quote from a local newspaper that says they survived with cuts from glass.

EDIT2: And CNN article https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/06/world/beirut-explosion-survivors-trnd/index.html

Soldato
If you look on the left, middle vertically, can see 2-3 people on the roof near where the closest footage was filmed - possibly even the same people :( there is another video covering that angle but I can't link to it due to content.

These 3 guys ?

07NLGlK.jpg

Looks like the view would match up for the one I've seen right next to the warehouse that shows the first blast in this vid at 48 seconds

Is that the same one you're on about or another ? If it's another, pm me link

Don't know if accurate - I've seen on Twitter 2 people whose background tends to suggest they are linked to the people filming saying different things - one that the guy died and the women badly hurt but stable and another that they both survived with moderate injuries.

The Telegraph who covered the vid I just posted says those 2 people survived

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah just found it too. Lucky lucky people. And she's saying get away from the window etc, and he's just staying put. I feared they'd be toasted jelly at that range.

Soldato
Good, lets hope they're able to form a new one with less corrupt individuals or fewer corrupt individuals or both.... and (though this is a long shot) without the involvement of that friendly little Iranian backed political group that likes to murder people....

It's extremely unlikely, it's an accepted way of life in Arabic-style culture which only rarely "back-fires" on them when something massive like this happens, so the risk is deemed acceptable. In 6 months it'll be the same old same old happening again regardless of a "new" Government, with the same cash filled handshake deals being done over the rebuild contracts and "protection" for the builders etc.

Caporegime
It's extremely unlikely, it's an accepted way of life in Arabic-style culture which only rarely "back-fires" on them when something massive like this happens, so the risk is deemed acceptable. In 6 months it'll be the same old same old happening again regardless of a "new" Government, with the same cash filled handshake deals being done over the rebuild contracts and "protection" for the builders etc.

Well then the rest of the world should withhold aid, as without it the millions of people who've suffered since the economy started to collapse will continue to get more emotionally attached to change.

Unfortunately, the result of any change is likely to be worse going by recent history, so it probably just ends up justifying Hezbollah's propaganda.

Soldato
In 6 months it'll be the same old same old happening again regardless of a "new" Government, with the same cash filled handshake deals being done over the rebuild contracts and "protection" for the builders etc.
So just like our lot then?

Soldato
When you have people who, through no fault of their own, are now deprived of government, secure food sources and jobs and you then pull food supplies from them then yes, that's punishment.

I didn't see anyone suggest taking something away that was already given.

Soldato
Well then the rest of the world should withhold aid, as without it the millions of people who've suffered since the economy started to collapse will continue to get more emotionally attached to change.

Personally I don't think thats a very humanitarian way to deal with a disaster, just because we may disagree with them doesn't mean we shouldn't offer to help.

Unfortunately, the result of any change is likely to be worse going by recent history, so it probably just ends up justifying Hezbollah's propaganda.

Yeap, any new Government there is just going to be more of the same sadly. There's just been too much money and power invested in continued conflict by groups like Hezbollah etc for it to change overnight due to a new Government, even over an event as huge as this.

Soldato
Wonder if this has caused the relevant authorities to take another look at somehow dealing with the SS Richard Montgomery. Current estimates put the yield of the Beirut explosion as being roughly equivalent to 1,155 tonnes of TNT, whereas the SS Richard Montgomery contains 1,400 tonnes of actual HE ordnance, and it can pop off at anytime from something as innocuous as an item shifting in the tide. I've even heard it said that seabird droppings could set it off as they have the potential to eat through the hull over time.

Caporegime
Wonder if this has caused the relevant authorities to take another look at somehow dealing with the SS Richard Montgomery. Current estimates put the yield of the Beirut explosion as being roughly equivalent to 1,155 tonnes of TNT, whereas the SS Richard Montgomery contains 1,400 tonnes of actual HE ordnance, and it can pop off at anytime from something as innocuous as an item shifting in the tide. I've even heard it said that seabird droppings could set it off as they have the potential to eat through the hull over time.

I'd hazard, given the age, that the explosive yield has dropped somewhat as explosives tend to degrade and become less powerful with time. It's also not located bang in the middle of a city. It being a distance offshore.

Soldato
I'd hazard, given the age, that the explosive yield has dropped somewhat as explosives tend to degrade and become less powerful with time. It's also not located bang in the middle of a city. It being a distance offshore.

According to wiki:
According to a BBC news report in 1970,[15] it was determined that if the wreck of Richard Montgomery exploded, it would throw a 1,000-foot-wide (300 m) column of water and debris nearly 10,000 feet (3,000 m) into the air and generate a wave 16 feet (5 m) high. Almost every window in Sheerness (pop. circa 20,000) would be broken and buildings would be damaged by the blast. However, news reports in May 2012 (including one by BBC Kent) stated that the wave could be about 4 feet (1 m) high, which although lower than previous estimates would be enough to cause flooding in some coastal settlements.

I would have guessed that if there was no risk to nearby land that it would have been blown up a long time ago. So i guess it comes down to weighing up the cost of repairing damage of explosion versus cost of continual monitoring.

Ideally they need to be able to split the load. Although even being able to have a robot go on board and move things around would be a risk.

I wonder if they could stick it on a winch and drag it further out to sea so that any explosion is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom