Massive Car insurance costs?

Soldato
Really surprised as I've had to get myself a car due to Enterprise not being able to fulfil bookings when required for work, not had insurance since just after lockdown (also had a claim during lockdown when a tile fell off the roof onto my car) when we went down to 1 car although been a named driver on the missus policy and my quote for Fully Comp with 10,000 miles business use is £411 for a 22 plate Focus Vignale diesel. Thought it would be loads more than that tbh

Soldato
I'm surprised my renewal is once again lower than new offers elsewhere and hasn't significantly increased since last year. However I forgot it was up for renewal as its on my junk mail account which I rarely visit its used for signing up to sites where I expect to get flooded with email junk as a result. Anyway realised it was past the expiry date got into a panic and took out a new policy only to realise the email stating it had auto renewed was buried at the bottom of the floods of junk mail. So had to sheepishly contact the new insurance to cancel the policy this morning... £75 admin fee and day's cover. Ouch. That'll teach me to pay more attention in future

My Admiral insurance renewal has gone up nearly £200. Aviva are nearly £200 less than what I paid last year (which is roughly what I expected it should be, considering I have another years no claims). So bye bye to a 20 year odd Admiral customer.
Gotta pay for all those TV adverts somehow, amirite?

Last edited:
Associate
Admiral were kind enough to email me to let me know my policy was due to expire. It's worse than expected. No changes in the policy, no points, accidents etc

Your Renewal Offer£1,768.02
Last Year’s Premium£990.96

:cry:
Believe Admiral are trying hard to get rid of existing customers. I was with them for 6 years and left once my renewal was due this month. Same as yourself I got a ridiculous quote and they wouldn't go down to match others.

Caporegime
My nipper, 18 now. 2nd year.

£660 down from £1000.

Fiat Panda 100hp.

How the hell did he get a Fiat 100HP for 1k as a first car?

Insurance has gone stupidly crazy for my daughter and she hasn't even started driving. I was dead set on getting her a 1.7 MK1 Puma as a first car as insurance was coming in around £1500 but now everywhere I check is 3k+!!!!

Even mundane stuff like a Fiesta Ecoboom or Astra 1.4 turbo is coming in at 2-2.5k....

Associate
He's a lucky boy.

My theory was / is they just dont have many claims against them?

He was learning to drive and I was looking for a car. All 1.0L junk and insurance was mental. Saw thiis Panda for sale in the village and did a quote, it was the cheapest car I'd quoted on so went and bought it the same day.

He's on his own insurance with me and my wife as named drivers. Got a black bock. The insurer is ticker.

Do a quote on one for your daughter?

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
She is talking about "Fronting" when you take an insurance policy and lie about who is the main driver.
It can mean you pay a lot less, but it's dodgy if you are allowing the "named driver" to be the actual main driver.
Insurance companies hate this, and they will bend you over in the event of a claim if they suspect they have been played.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Admiral were kind enough to email me to let me know my policy was due to expire. It's worse than expected. No changes in the policy, no points, accidents etc

Your Renewal Offer£1,768.02
Last Year’s Premium£990.96

:cry:

I just don’t understand that, mine was just £50 up from last year and having phoned them up I got that knocked off. Nothing changed on the policy.

Last edited:
Associate
I just don’t understand that, mine was just £50 up from last year and having phoned them up I got that knocked off. Nothing changed on the policy.
Makes no sense to me either, only thing I can think of is any repairs to the type of car have increased massively.

I did call them up and they suddenly reduced it to just over £1200 but even with comparison sites I can't get close to previous years premium.

Man of Honour
Makes no sense to me either, only thing I can think of is any repairs to the type of car have increased massively.

I did call them up and they suddenly reduced it to just over £1200 but even with comparison sites I can't get close to previous years premium.

Or more thefts/crashes in your area?

It always makes me laugh when you phone them up and they apply a ‘loyalty discount’. It should be illegal that they don’t apply that from the start.

Back
Top Bottom