Massive Car insurance costs?

Renewal from Direct Line for my Skoda Fabia came through, 9 years + NCD + business use & wife as named driver, they wanted £438 to renew. Ran compare the meerkat search and Hastings Direct wanted £345 as a new customer. Called Direct Line 10 mins ago, and I spoke to an agent who applied a 'discount' to my policy and my renewal cost dropped to £355.36!!
Why would you not go with the cheaper tho and stick with direct line?

Why would you not go with the cheaper tho and stick with direct line?
You mean Hastings presumably.

For the sake of a tenner it definitely can be worth it if you'd rather stick with a provider for multiple years, or they have a better app or better reputation etc. I'd love to stay with Admiral from year to year out of a dumb sense of loyalty (not for their benefit but so I can put a bit of weight behind a complaint).

I have had very good service from Direct Line in the past year with a claim, I know insurance companies are much of a muchness, so it is a case of better the devil you know.
fair dues, i mean insurance companies are insurance companies right, if they paid out when they shoudl without putting up barriers then they have operated on their remit.

are there any that are disreputable and to avoid no matter what?

Mine came through last week - Hastings wanted £527 up from £380.

Straight onto GoCompare - £381 from GoSkippy. Go back to Hastings, turn off autorenewal and they offer to try and beat the quote... enter the details and they now want £354 for the renewal.

Why not just offer me that in the first place you plebs? :mad:

Last edited:

Because quite a few people wouldn't bother going through hassle of looking for a cheaper deal, easy money.

My friend just had a renewal today, went up another £100 this year for them after shopping around without any changes. Be interesting what it's like for me after summer as last year was first time it went up for me as well.

48% increase for me this year, with no change in circumstances. Tried a couple of other brokers and they all said they wouldn't bother quoting as they couldn't come close to my renewal... I managed to get away with a 1% increase last year, but well and truly been bitten this time around!

Model 3 Renewal in... 47p (yes pence) cheaper than last year...

Price is in line with the cheapest quotes we can get on the comparison sites once outliers are excluded (those who make it look like they are cheaper by making anything an addition).

Was expecting an increase so will take that. :)

Got my renewal through today. No claims, no change in circumstances at all really, just a year older. Last year I paid £450 with Stella, up from £391 with Hastings Direct. Stella's renewal quote? £1,031! I've been looking around and some comparison sites are around £700! Even some others are still £600+ too! Legalised theft it feels like!

It feels like everyone is being penalised for some buying electric cars like Tesla's with repair costs far out weighing the normal expectations of cars at that price.

Mine came through last week - Hastings wanted £527 up from £380.

Straight onto GoCompare - £381 from GoSkippy. Go back to Hastings, turn off autorenewal and they offer to try and beat the quote... enter the details and they now want £354 for the renewal.

You mean you didn't know?! Auto renewal for breakdown cover is the same. Always check auto renewal quote against a price comparison site that should be a given.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom