Massive Car insurance costs?

Soldato
Free bus pass incoming this year! I may ditch the car then.
Brave!

If you fancy waiting 1hr for a bus or in some places no bus at all for days.

I dont exactly have a like to like renewal as I got my latest car half way through a policy year.

But ran the quote for the last car, which is a diesel, that went up £280 or something. But funnily the quote is more expensive than my EV premium whilst the diesel is a cheaper car.

Would be interesting to see what my renew would be sept this year

Last edited:
Soldato
plus the saving on parking and fuel. The way things are currently i be surprised if a lot of people dont follow suit
It's a conspiracy to clear congestion :cry: . My mum and dad make use of theirs, which I have no issues with. Think they've even taken my kids for a bus ride when theyve been watching them on summer holidays and half term.

Last edited:
Soldato
Insurance renewal is next month this month it was 3 new tyres this week and a full service+MOT next week, ouch. Its going to be an expensive start to the year and I've yet to get hit by insurance

Soldato
+32% though the broker policy fee increased from £5 to £35! They conceded and held this at £5, bringing the increase this year to +22%. (Adrian Flux).

They are still less than half what other main stream insurers are offering.

Edit: pushed back on the policy fee increase and they conceded easily enough.

Last edited:
Associate
Just seeing if I'm going mad here.
Been driving 2 years, no points. 32 years old.
Last year's insurance was £610 on Hastings Premier.

Just looking at quotes and the same plan on compare the market is £864? what on earth is going on??? Can't get it below 850 no matter what I do or where I look.

I know prices have went up, but not by almost 50%.

I think everyone is feeling this at the moment :(

Soldato
OP
I think everyone is feeling this at the moment :(
Ended up going with by by miles for £538.97 with 4k miles. You get refunded for any miles you don't do. Cover cost £186.97 then £352 for 4k miles

Renewed in June and I'm not even a 800 miles yet (I drive very short distances) looking to get around £200-250 in refunds once it expires for miles not used.

Amazing if your a low mileage driver

Soldato
Mine went up this year too.

Old Octavia VRS - some mods. Nicer part of Middlesbrough (if there is one), 8 yrs no claims, shopped around and could not find anything cheaper. I ended up paying just under £300 up from ~£200 last year.

Man of Honour
in my home country there are no speed limits on some parts of a motorway, and generally people drive...faster
Insurance is half the price comparing to thee UK! I have no idea why it is so expensive here
Could be a multitude of potential factors:
  • Vehicle repairs probably cost more here. Keep in mind UK cars in some cases probably have unique parts due to being RHD instead of LHD.
  • UK has legislation which may not apply overseas
  • Expensive hire car costs
  • High levels of personal injury fraud
  • Potentially more cars relative to road footprint
  • You live in London. London postcodes are likely expensive, especially those with high crime rates. As per above also loads of cars crammed in to narrow streets.
  • Potentially you are paying more due to not being a native UK citizen, I'm not saying this should be the case, but their perception of risk might be higher.

Back
Top Bottom