** MASSIVE NVIDIA PRICE DROP!!! **

Soldato
It's the new rules any etailor can now charge a restocking fee if the goods are deemed used and can't be resold as new, it's new uk law.

It's a bit of a dodgy one that though isn't it. Nothing to stop any retailer making a quick buck by claiming the item looks used and then robbing the first purchaser.

Soldato
This is no longer the case, DSR is no more it is consumer contract relations and if the product is used and cannot be resold as new a restocking fee shall be applied.

Is this your policy now, or are you just reiterating the change in law?

As OcUK has/had the 14 day satisfaction guarantee which was very appealing, even though I've never had to use it. But if you're saying the above is now your policy, then the 14 day satisfaction guarantee obviously doesn't apply any more, which is extremely disappointing.

Soldato
Is this your policy now, or are you just reiterating the change in law?

As OcUK has/had the 14 day satisfaction guarantee which was very appealing, even though I've never had to use it. But if you're saying the above is now your policy, then the 14 day satisfaction guarantee obviously doesn't apply any more, which is extremely disappointing.
They've done away with it.

Soldato
It's a bit of a dodgy one that though isn't it. Nothing to stop any retailer making a quick buck by claiming the item looks used and then robbing the first purchaser.

Don't be ridiculous I mean for 1 how many customers do you think an etailer could make £10 out of before the complaints start racking up. You're not going to spend any more money with them if they rip you off when you return something that you genuinely didn't like.

you know what's dodgy?

losing money because people think they can buy and DSR everything they like based on whether it overclocks well or just that it was £20 cheaper the following week.

Sorry but it's dishonest members of society that have brought this law about nothing else

Last edited:
Associate
I would write to the etailor explaining what you did and that you would prefer if they could offer you some cashback instead of you returning it causing hassle for both parties. OCUK have done this for people in this past as they are awesome, others might not be so good.

They refunded the difference for me, which means i got my KFA2 GTX 780 at the new reduced price. Great customer service shining through again :).

is that kfa2 780 a reference pcb with just a cheaper cooler, looking to add a wb to one but its currently not appearing on ek's cooling configuartor

I don't think it's a cheaper cooler (internally), it just uses a plain black shroud. It's got quite a bit of weight to it and i can see the heatsink goes all the way from the front to the back of the card wiith a gap/space for the fan placement. The card has good support as the cooler shroud appears to have a fairly thick metal bracket going all the way around the edge of the card (screwed on).

It doesn't look fancy, but it's still a good quality card, is pretty quiet and ideal for SLI :). I have it paired with an MSI GTX 780 which looks identical apart from the MSI branding, so they must be both reference boards.

Soldato
Actually consumer contract regulations replaced distance selling regulations and most of what you said is now not the law.

This is no longer the case, DSR is no more it is consumer contract relations and if the product is used and cannot be resold as new a restocking fee shall be applied.

Thanks for the update and sorry for erroneous reference to the DSR, this is certainly an interesting change but doesn't seem to be a huge difference other than to stop the obvious abuse of the old DSR (using the product for an extended period and then returning it).

Gov guidance on the new rules can be found here, and here is an interesting extract:

• Cancellation rights will continue to apply to off-premises and distance contracts only. The cancellation period will extend from the current 7 calendar days (for off-premises) and 7 working days (for distance sales) to 14 calendar days for both to give consumers more time to change their minds.
  • Consumers should return items within 14 days of cancellation
  • Online and other distance or off-premises traders will be able to withhold refunds until goods are returned (or evidence of return is provided) and they can reduce the amount of money refunded for goods returned which show evidence of use beyond the handling necessary to see whether the goods are as expected.

I didn't see any reference to a "restocking fee" in the new rules, but I assume Gibbo means the deduction that can be applied. Not sure how this will be implemented by retailers in practice but the example they give is a good one:

A customer has changed their mind and returned a toaster bought online. The box is intact but there are crumbs in the toaster. Can I deduct any money from the refund?
17. The consumer should be permitted to inspect the toaster in the same way that they might in a shop to ensure it is as described. Money should not therefore be deducted if it is reasonable for the consumer to remove the packaging to inspect the item. However, using the toaster goes beyond what is needed to ascertain the nature of the toaster, and is not something the consumer would do in a shop. Money can therefore be deducted to reflect diminished value. The consumer need not ‘test’ the toaster since, if the toaster proves to be faulty the consumer has rights under other legislation.

So testing would perhaps no longer be possible (although use of the word "functioning" in the regs is a bit misleading in my opinion) but opening the box to check the products inside for damage looks to be acceptable. But how then could a retailer sell a returned, opened item as new?

Disclaimer: The above does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon by any person.

They refunded the difference for me, which means i got my KFA2 GTX 780 at the new reduced price. Great customer service shining through again :).

Always great CS from OCUK :cool: P.s. great news about the phone number (shame it took a change in the law to bring it about though).

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, which is why I'd find it extremely disappointing if they've dropped it. Especially because it covered in store purchases where they didn't need to abide by any sort of DSR like terms. For me, it was an incentive to buy in store when I'm in Stoke.

Last edited:
Associate
OK so which one of these puppies do I need to run a Asus ROG Swift 27 inch G-SYnc Beast Screen? a single 780 enough? Or should I opt for the 780Ti?

Back
Top Bottom