MasterCase5 MOD: Project TRON

Soldato
Beautiful work on the sound card. Something too many people don't bother with IMO.

Shame the rig isn't inverted so you can see the hard work. If it were me though I would also paint the edge of the PCB in the same blue. Nothing like a manky old piece of fibreglass wrecking the look.

Associate
OP
Looking awesome mate, sound blaster ZX never looked so damned good! Eagerly awaiting more :D

Best

Wolf

Just an observation, but that white shroud with "Gigabyte" on it above the CPU would look awesome painted with that blue you used on the Soundblaster ZX. Shaping up to be a great build mate. :)

Best

Wulf

Beautiful work on the sound card. Something too many people don't bother with IMO.

Shame the rig isn't inverted so you can see the hard work. If it were me though I would also paint the edge of the PCB in the same blue. Nothing like a manky old piece of fibreglass wrecking the look.

Thanks all :)

Ok, I plan to add some lighting to the side of the card and some other bits, then depending on how it looks I will add some more colour, but this all wont be done until last thing so I can see the end result as im doing it.

I will be making the bottom very glossy, if I cant achieve the result I want with paint or wrap then I will have to dig in my pockets again and get a bit more white plexi.

aiming to get some reflections going on, hopefully the sound card will be reflected in the white, if not I have some mirror on standby lol.

Oh and Wolf, I have some ideas for some of the internal logos, design, and it could involve silver.
going to play around with blue and silver later in the build.

I'm still awaiting the GPU so im moving back to the outside of the case soon.

Soldato
Wip_lightcycle_2nd_gen_by_telejunky-d471f4z.jpg

Associate
Hehe I've got Flynn's light cycle on my desk in my man cave. Not that I make bike noises or play with it ofc lol :D

Those ideas sound great Deblow, gonna be like looking into "The Grid" when looking through your window panel ;)

Best

Wulf

Associate
OP

I love that cycle and its funny you posted it as I was looking to get one from the net and use inside the case, im not sure if it would look a bit cheesy though. plan was to have it riding along some EL tape.

Hehe I've got Flynn's light cycle on my desk in my man cave. Not that I make bike noises or play with it ofc lol :D

Those ideas sound great Deblow, gonna be like looking into "The Grid" when looking through your window panel ;)

Best

Wulf

I collect toy's and figures so don't worry I wont take the p*ss lol
And thanks! I will try get some photos posted today.

BTW, CoolerMaster are sending me the new MasterCase3 (smaller one)
So, I'm thinking I Will paint it white on the outside with the same Tron theme, I have both then :D

Just modding the case though, no time for another full on build :(

Associate
OP
Oh how I envy your position that another full build is restricted by time, not money. I have another 3 projects planned after Asteria II to build up a portfolio, but I'll have to pay for everything myself!

Well yeah, not just time. but I've been lucky this year as I was asked to do two builds and offered support for both.
It's a bit more tricky when you go looking for sponsors but if you plan on doing a couple of builds its always worth a quick email or call to see if anyone wants to help out with the components.

I'm still rocking my 2014 build "Alternate" but as this one will be more powerful for VR and gaming in general I'm going to use it for about a year as my main rig, will give me time to re-work my desk.

Associate
OP
Back-plate for the sound card in place, used some velcro to hold it down as I will be needing to mess with it later in the build, its also a bit more tidy than using the screws on the card to hold it.

01_zps73zvuxzl.jpg

got this cutter some years back for my model making, helps add some detail to the plastic, also very useful for cutting the plexi :D

02_zpsevxvzp6q.jpg

03_zpsgh9czqz0.jpg

Bit wonky as it's not fastened in place just yet..
04_zpsps5u8of2.jpg

05_zpskjyiv5vt.jpg

Same again for the back cover.
06_zpsfe0sxwbj.jpg

07_zpsl8al1oxl.jpg

08_zpstity0bza.jpg

09_zpskqtk2ejy.jpg

Ordered some more white plexi, so most the parts will be re-cut using the old ones as a template.

10_zpsspg4obp2.jpg

After some testing I decided to have the RAD facing the standard way rather than upside down.
Just didn't have the room I wanted at the top for all the pipe and fittings.

11_zpshgk9irha.jpg

Associate
OP
This has been the best part of the build so far, the results from the extensive paint coats, sanding, buffing and polishing have paid off, by far the best paint finish I've achieved with gloss.

This has taken weeks, not a easy task especially with the sharp edged all over the panels making it very easy to take the paint of all the way down to the primer if not do perfect.

This is the result after the gloss had been put down.
Plenty of orange peal and although it looks shiny I cant stand the peal.

01_zpsx2eb5agh.jpg

So after the couple of weeks painting then sanding I got the gloss down and had to wait a week or so for the gloss to harden, then I carefully sanded down the gloss to get the surface as smooth as possible with paper.

04_zps2uhkafqs.jpg

my hands looked like I had been sat in the bath for 2 hours lol

03_zpshqixtc4b.jpg

Because I'm so happy with the result I will show you all a good handful of photos.
Hope you like the result as much as myself and the next update will be installing some of the EL bits.

12_zpsammnmvol.jpg

09_zpsrhfmmxzd.jpg

10_zpsegidh8iv.jpg

08_zpsnes5uvxu.jpg

05_zps9y7m7n0u.jpg

Soldato
Got as far as the "as smooth as possible with paper" pic and have to confess I was thinking Meh, it's not that glossy - it's so easy to sit idly and be critical of someone else's hard work! ;) But the finish after you've polished it up is fantastic - looks like you have a lovely garden there :D

Associate
OP
That's one hell of a finish on that gloss. Looking forwards to seeing more of this build!

Thanks mate, looking forward to completing.
I can see the finish line approaching :D

Got as far as the "as smooth as possible with paper" pic and have to confess I was thinking Meh,
it's not that glossy - it's so easy to sit idly and be critical of someone else's hard work! ;) But the finish after you've polished it up is fantastic - looks like you have a lovely garden there :D

I was thinking that might happen lol
Thanks mate, as for the garden, it's been a bit neglected this year as my wife hates gardening and I've been locked in the shed for most the summer lol

Wow a lot of hard work to be sure, but damn that finish is impressive. Well done mate, just don't let anyone grease it up with fingerprints lol.

Best

Wulf

Yeah not letting anyone near it, but I cant resist touching it sometimes lol

Reason I went with matte on the last desk build, but for a case I should be ok.
I can imagine the state of it after a week at a computer show though :eek:

that gloss is insane, beautiful job

Thank you mate :)

Associate
OP
Started carefully placing the EL wire and some tapes, this was tricky, glued my fingers to the wire a couple of times lol

20160907_200511_zpscbyfbg4t.jpg

20160906_204813_zps2ngfgidl.jpg

Put down some tape on the none flat parts for some protections and as a guideline.

20160905_230419_zpsnmydrwyk.jpg

20160906_213445_zpsgacox64m.jpg

20160904_193349_zpspu39uzz2.jpg

20160904_193344_zpsjvsmsqrq.jpg

Top is done, sides and front still need some more work doing.

20160907_220029_zpskxvqpvnx.jpg

20160907_220033_zpseduerqyb.jpg

Hopefully you now have a better idea of the final look im going for with the build :)

Soldato
There's only one problem....the panels are so shiny it's difficult to make them out in the photos - just reflections of bits of bench! Looking good though. The inlaying of the wire works really well - definitely worth the effort!

Back
Top Bottom