Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
I'm on my 5th mattress/topper combination currently and going to have to return the topper and mattress... Again.

What is your budget, and what size are you after? Also what type of 'feel' do you like some people like squishy and warm others like it firm like laying on a floor? If you get a decent mattress that suits your requirements you only really need a protector not a topper.

Soldato
Yikes indeed... For 4k I'd want a new one free every 3 years for at least 9 years!

Why are matreses so difficult and expensive... It's just a bunch of layers of springs and foam of various types at the end of the day. It's not rocket surgery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are matreses so difficult and expensive... It's just a bunch of layers of springs and foam of various types at the end of the day. It's not rocket surgery
They are generally high margin products, but a quality mattress like the Artisans Natural isn't mainly foam, it is natural materials, like wool, cotton, mohair etc.

Soldato
I dunno about mohair.. But wool and cotton are not exactly expensive or exclusive materials in the context of a 4k mattress. I remain unconvinced

No one said exclusive but vs the cost of ultra cheap foam, you are taking an order of magnitude more expensive.

Remain unconvinced, but spending 1/4 to 1/3 of life in bed, it's worth the extra for me.

Soldato
I am in need of a new mattress since my current one is awful.

Debating between:

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/?size=double ( Double is £1700 )

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-sublime/?size=double ( Double is £4000! )

I have never spent more than £300 on a mattress which always felt expensive, but in this case I feel like it is worth it.

Any thoughts?

Ive got an artisan naturals in super king and like it. But I would speak to the sales team regarding your requirements.

I did end up adding a circa £300 topper to mine for extra softness on what they refer to as the "comfort layer" (mine is split firmness and my side is fine)

They were very useful when I got in touch. The more expensive options use more "natural" materials if that bothers you.

Only other thing id say dependent on size of your room I can recommend bigger than a double. I really like my super king, but I'm fortunate to have a big room for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive got an artisan naturals in super king and like it. But I would speak to the sales team regarding your requirements.

Same as mine, and I complete agree about speaking to a sales person, maybe advisor is correct term for once. Their Q&A section is also a useful source of info, and they happily answer questions about non JR mattresses as well.

Associate
Ive been for past two weeks trying to decide on a mattress topper, my mattress comes tomorrow and I still have not got one lol.

Was thinking about a latex one as the pillow I have has held up pretty damn well over the past 7 years but thought I might get a cheaper one first to see how I get on.

Its more for protecting the mattress and possibly make it a little softer if it is a tad firm.

Soldato
No one said exclusive but vs the cost of ultra cheap foam, you are taking an order of magnitude more expensive.

Remain unconvinced, but spending 1/4 to 1/3 of life in bed, it's worth the extra for me.

And neither did I.

The point I was trying to make, somewhat badly is that a mattress is just a bunch of springs and types of cushioning to varying levels.

Associate
I ordered an Emma dual sided topper thing last night to hopefully fix my Johnryan, and my upper back. I'm half tempted to just buy a cheapo open coil thing and try that if the topper doesn't provide decent results. Given i spent a decade on one without major issues it seems like a better option that paying out for the marketed fancy stuff, again.

Soldato
What is your budget, and what size are you after? Also what type of 'feel' do you like some people like squishy and warm others like it firm like laying on a floor? If you get a decent mattress that suits your requirements you only really need a protector not a topper.

Yeah the topper is due to not being able to return the current mattress but topper on this mattress is just too hot. I want something in the middle, not too soft, not too hard, not too expensive, some of the prices are crazy as mentioned above.

Has anyone heard of Levitex? Brooke and Wilde?

Soldato
I ordered an Emma dual sided topper thing last night to hopefully fix my Johnryan, and my upper back. I'm half tempted to just buy a cheapo open coil thing and try that if the topper doesn't provide decent results. Given i spent a decade on one without major issues it seems like a better option that paying out for the marketed fancy stuff, again.
I tried the cheap mattress (foam) and a topper (that cost more than the mattress, in fact I've tried two toppers, Panda and Simba, but it's just too hot with the Simba and the Panda doesn't offer any support). Now I'm stuck with a cheap mattress that I can't return. Thankfully it was cheap. Had tried the more expensive mattresses prior to it also...

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been for past two weeks trying to decide on a mattress topper, my mattress comes tomorrow and I still have not got one lol.

Was thinking about a latex one as the pillow I have has held up pretty damn well over the past 7 years but thought I might get a cheaper one first to see how I get on.

Its more for protecting the mattress and possibly make it a little softer if it is a tad firm.
I'd get a mattress protector then, rather than a topper. Ideally you shouldn't need a topper on a new mattress. I bought a silent night padded protector, it does add a little softness but I'm not 100% convinced.

At one point I had that protector, a topper and a mattress. It was a bit strange but I had to try it out to see if it worked.

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually, having tuped that out, if I really liked the Sima topper, it makes me think I'll like the Simba mattress. Assuming the mattress dissapates heat better than the topper.

Soldato
So the above Emma is going back. It's been ok and if we liked it i'd have probably just got them to swap it out for a "clean" one, but it just felt really warm.

We went to a shop to look at garden chairs yesterday and my wife was pressing for a new bed. I'd been reluctant in buying the whole bed/base etc until we were in our new house, but i gave in as it makes sense. Have ended up with a Spanish brand called Mimma, bit weary as never heard of them before but it has some "cool" technology which was freaky as even in the showroom it felt noticably cooler to the touch vs one next to it. Idea for us as we're both warm sleepers.

Associate
I'd get a mattress protector then, rather than a topper. Ideally you shouldn't need a topper on a new mattress. I bought a silent night padded protector, it does add a little softness but I'm not 100% convinced.

At one point I had that protector, a topper and a mattress. It was a bit strange but I had to try it out to see if it worked.
ah, good shout, ill pick this one up later after mattress has been delivered.

Associate
Good news, mattress finally came today, bad news im nearly 6ft and total height of bed comes to just under my bellybutton, the top of the mattress is above the windowsill height in bedroom.

1/2 inch thick mdf bed base with storage room inside but we neglected to take into account the mattress when it was built, mattress now go past the top of my backside so gonna need something to step up on lul

EDIT
20240416_154544.jpg

Good thing I didnt get a mattress topper eh lol

EDIT

20240416_194331.jpg

20240416_194619.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I am in need of a new mattress since my current one is awful.

Debating between:

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/?size=double ( Double is £1700 )

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-sublime/?size=double ( Double is £4000! )

I have never spent more than £300 on a mattress which always felt expensive, but in this case I feel like it is worth it.

Any thoughts?
We bought the Artisan Naturals Super King and it is a very comfortable mattress. I would say in the height of summer though it is a very insulating mattress and I often find I'm hot underneath when sleeping under just a sheet. I would absolutely buy from them again.

edit: and it is ridiculously heavy to turn over compared to similar sized mattresses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom