Mattresses - I need knowledge

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Ordered an Origins 1500 a few weeks ago, just been told they've shut their production for 2 weeks because of Covid and I won't get for another 4 weeks minimum. They've offered to upgrade me free of charge to an Artisan one which should be within a couple of weeks which I'll probably go for, just a shame because I'm sleeping on the sofa atm! :(

Best be worth the wait :D

Soldato
Well, more good feedback for Simba here, contacted them last week as had pulled a little too hard on the cover when replacing it after washing due to accident from the little one in the night. There had been a tear near the zip. Sent them photos asking for possibility of new cover under warranty.

They are delivering us a entirely new mattress today :o

Associate
Has anyone had the JR Origins Pocket 1500 and then upgraded to an Artisan? Needing a new bed right now and taking the opportunity to go up a size. Unfortunetly this means mattress, frame and bed coverings to suit. Trying to work out if the extra for the Artisan 1500 is worth it, as the money would go a long way to on a frame instead. I understand the materials are better but do these drastically alter the comfort or only improve longevity? (Only ever had cheap matteresses so anything will be an improvement)

Soldato
Has anyone had the JR Origins Pocket 1500 and then upgraded to an Artisan? Needing a new bed right now and taking the opportunity to go up a size. Unfortunetly this means mattress, frame and bed coverings to suit. Trying to work out if the extra for the Artisan 1500 is worth it, as the money would go a long way to on a frame instead. I understand the materials are better but do these drastically alter the comfort or only improve longevity? (Only ever had cheap matteresses so anything will be an improvement)

We have a pocket 1500 and artisan naturals in the family. The artisan doesn’t seem to rely on the springs for comfort. The materials give it a comfort that feels like it isn’t spring based, the pocket 1500, whilst still good just isn’t in the same league imo. It’s hard to describe.

when I eventually do replace my pocket 1500 I’d have no problem going to the artisan, however saying that the pocket 1500 is still perfectly comfortable, The price difference might come in to play also.

Associate
Had an Artisan Naturals for almost 7 years now. Great quality mattress and I feel like a mattress construction expert after initially reading all the material on their website (called Factory Beds Direct at the time).

Despite knowing how firmness works relating to weight, next time I would prefer a slightly firmer feel than the medium tension springs we got. I know I could get a sprung devan base to take up my initial weight, making the mattress feel a bit firmer but they look ****.

Seems like they've gone up £200 since 2013.

Associate
We have a pocket 1500 and artisan naturals in the family. The artisan doesn’t seem to rely on the springs for comfort. The materials give it a comfort that feels like it isn’t spring based, the pocket 1500, whilst still good just isn’t in the same league imo. It’s hard to describe.

when I eventually do replace my pocket 1500 I’d have no problem going to the artisan, however saying that the pocket 1500 is still perfectly comfortable, The price difference might come in to play also.

Had an Artisan Naturals for almost 7 years now. Great quality mattress and I feel like a mattress construction expert after initially reading all the material on their website (called Factory Beds Direct at the time).

Despite knowing how firmness works relating to weight, next time I would prefer a slightly firmer feel than the medium tension springs we got. I know I could get a sprung devan base to take up my initial weight, making the mattress feel a bit firmer but they look ****.

Seems like they've gone up £200 since 2013.

Thanks both, good comments. The Artisan Naturals is close to double the price of the Pocket 1500. The ideal middle ground I have been looking at is the Artisan 1500 at £400 extra. I'm unsure though - not in the price or the matteress but as I've always had rubbish cheap matteresses before I have no idea what I actually prefer. The thinking is to get the Pocket 1500 for a few years to get the feel and then move on up to one of the more expensive options.

Sounds like I may miss out on some comfort but I'll be gaining more comfort going with the Pocket over what I'm used to anyway that it may not matter so much...

Soldato
I don't think you'll have any issues with the pocket 1500 personally. I too had rubbish mattresses for years, the pocket 1500 was and still is amazingly comfortable for the money imo.

Caporegime
I ordered the
Origins Pocket Latex 1500 Mattress - King Size
Size: King Size
Tension: Firm (2000 spring)

2 weeks ago and was told a 6 week wait. I currently have a sleepeze backcare ultimate 2000 so a similar firmness.

I never went for the next up one up as it was a lot dearer and its only the materials which are different is it not? Rather than the quality of construction.

Associate
That’s my Artisan Natural with the couriers. Ordered on 12th July. Same company that picked up my Simba mattress on Saturday to return it.

Can’t wait as we are using our old mattress again and it’s absolutely horrendous.

Associate
Just an update as one or two asked for impressions.

The difference between this and the Simba, not to mention my old mattress is night and day. First few nights I did think it might be ever so slightly too firm but my wife and I have both adjusted quickly. No aches or pains when waking up, even on our lie in days!

Most importantly I’m not finding it difficult to actually get comfortable. Big thumbs up from us so far.

Associate
Just an update as one or two asked for impressions.

The difference between this and the Simba, not to mention my old mattress is night and day. First few nights I did think it might be ever so slightly too firm but my wife and I have both adjusted quickly. No aches or pains when waking up, even on our lie in days!

Most importantly I’m not finding it difficult to actually get comfortable. Big thumbs up from us so far.

Was that the medium tension you went for on this?

Soldato
Just waiting for my artisan natural to come through, in the meantime, what protectors are people using? Just got a cheapish one at the moment but willing to splash out for a better one considering how much the mattress costs.

Caporegime
Just waiting for my artisan natural to come through, in the meantime, what protectors are people using? Just got a cheapish one at the moment but willing to splash out for a better one considering how much the mattress costs.

I've bought 2 from M&S the anti allergy ones.

So if one is in the wash the other can be used.

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny

LOL , skim reading i thought you had lost the plot , i missed the toppers part and read it as you having 2 mattresses so you can put one in the wash. :D

I'd like to see the size of washing machine that can fit a king size mattress.

I don't know if washing mattresses is even possible that's why I use a mattress protector, fitted sheet on top of that.

I know the mattress will be fine for me the wife may need a topper to help with comfort. Bodyweight wise she is very light at 45kg so a 2000 spring john ryan mattress will be very firm for her.

So I will need to look into a topper for her half of the bed. I'm thinking M&S again for this. I use their duvets and pillows too. I really like their stuff.

Toppers and mattress protectors are two very different things. I only have mattress protectors currently.

Associate
I'd like to see the size of washing machine that can fit a king size mattress.

I don't know if washing mattresses is even possible that's why I use a mattress protector, fitted sheet on top of that.

I know the mattress will be fine for me the wife may need a topper to help with comfort. Bodyweight wise she is very light at 45kg so a 2000 spring john ryan mattress will be very firm for her.

So I will need to look into a topper for her half of the bed. I'm thinking M&S again for this. I use their duvets and pillows too. I really like their stuff.

Toppers and mattress protectors are two very different things. I only have mattress protectors currently.

I use this topper with my John Ryan artisan natural, it’s wonderful - https://www.devonduvets.com/wool-mattress-topper-king

Soldato
Sorry didnt read the entire thread. Can anyone recommend a good matress at £500ish, double sized - living in rented accomodation and they cheaped out on this and we're both getting really bad backs sleeping as it's too soft. Ideally somewhere that will get rid of the old one.

Caporegime
Sorry didnt read the entire thread. Can anyone recommend a good matress at £500ish, double sized - living in rented accomodation and they cheaped out on this and we're both getting really bad backs sleeping as it's too soft. Ideally somewhere that will get rid of the old one.

Sleepeezee backcare ultimate 2000

Get the council to pick up the old one.

Soldato

I've noticed on Amazon you can get a protector that covers the entire mattress with a zip on the side but i would imagine they are a pain having to lift the entire mattress to get it on and off.

Back
Top Bottom