***Max Payne 3***

Soldato
What is making your hate it? Is it still the controls?

That's part of it. Also getting fed up of dying and then the game starting me with no lifes and a shedload of enemies to kill. One point I was stuck behind a post trying to use it as covers as enemies came from every direction. The fact your energy doesn't recharge at all just makes it impossible to not die.
They need a region filter in MP. Tried it again earlier and ended up with 2 americans,a german and a polish person in the lobby :mad:

Soldato
This looks quite impressive from the reviews, anyone an honest opinion?

Really polished and good looking game as you would expect from Rockstar. Entertaining single player with a few minor niggles, such as after cut scenes you automatically seem to switch back to default gun, and after a last stand slow-mo you don't go back to cover meaning you get shot at. Definitely worth a rental if the multiplayer doesn't interest you, but the multiplayer isn't bad either, its good fun.

Soldato
That's part of it. Also getting fed up of dying and then the game starting me with no lifes and a shedload of enemies to kill.

Sounds like an old school game.. like the old Max Payne games.

One point I was stuck behind a post trying to use it as covers as enemies came from every direction.

You got flanked by the AI.

The fact your energy doesn't recharge at all just makes it impossible to not die.

Pop some pills.

Soldato
Well you cant pls everyone , i personally love it, even the cut scenes they are done with such class, voice acting etc top notch.
Yes its certainly old school Max Payne, gameplay wise but i wouldnt have it any other way.

Soldato
I went on the rockstar support page and asked them if there was a region filter and got this response:
There is no region filter in the game so it can allow players from all over to play the game with each other. This allows friends from the US to play with friends in the UK. I hope this helps.
Probably why I struggle in MP :mad:

Associate
That's part of it. Also getting fed up of dying and then the game starting me with no lifes and a shedload of enemies to kill. One point I was stuck behind a post trying to use it as covers as enemies came from every direction. The fact your energy doesn't recharge at all just makes it impossible to not die.

If you die repeatedly at the same point enough times then the game will give you extra painkillers when you respawn.

Can't believe people are complaining about the non-recharging health/energy. You get extra energy when you kill people, or it does regenerate slowly if you wait. You get extra health when you use painkillers. Max Payne would suck if it had regenerating health.

It's the difference between "ah.. I've been shot a few times I'll just wait here behind this pillar for 30 secs then I'll be ok" and "oh jesus I'm nearly dead and out of painkillers, maybe there are some along the corridor in that bathroom, I'm gonna have to fight my way to them dodgin bullets perfectly otherwise I'll die. Need to go now before I get flanked".

Which do you think adds to the tension and pace of the game? And which do you think is just intended to cater for nooby console kids?

I've preordered MP3 on Steam. Can't wait.

Associate
Loving this.

Finally started playing the single player, after hammering online (well hammering for me)

Loving the tongue in cheek james bond style antics, hating the having to shoot people then see them get up then shoot them again, then shoot them again.

Control system sometimes spazzes out too leaving you firing at the ceiling.
Much better then the eurogamer review suggests but i can see why its a 7/10but its a quality game and a lot of fun and i think with the MP aswell well worth paying for.

Over time i think this will go down as a great game but you gotta put a number on a review.

Caporegime
Almost done this game, absolutely love it and find its very well balanced. Yes its a bit hard in some places and is fustrating but ive learnt to take my time rather than rush in all guns blazing. Love the bullet cam as well, when your surrounded by enemies you can use it to slow down time and take them out one by one.

Only thing i dislike about the game is the ****ing long cutscenes...dear god i just dont care for the story...if i wanted to watch a movie then id rent out max payne...this is a game FFS:p...enough of the stupidly long cutscenes...just a shame that you cant skip them like you can in other games...well you can but you have to sit through at least a few mins of cutscenes before you can skip it. Never known a rockstar game to be like this and ive played RDR and GTA and they didnt have very long cutscenes.

Meh anyhow thats my little rant for the day...at the end of the day, i do like this game very much.

Soldato
Started playing this last night.

The graphics look really good and the voice acting and cut scenes are spot on. You can tell its a rockstar game.

Only thing is the aiming and firing is really easy (might be because I have been playing ME3) but its just left trigger to aim and right trigger to fire.

It is annoying to empty a clip into someone just for them to get back up must be some good armour.

Soldato
Only thing is the aiming and firing is really easy (might be because I have been playing ME3) but its just left trigger to aim and right trigger to fire.

As is most shooting games? I guess you have the aim assist on, you can put it onto free aim if you don't want the assisted aiming :)

Soldato
yep, cut scenes are a little annoying, can imagine it gets worse second time through if you replay.

One thing that does annoy me, I have an MP5 selected, then you move to another area facing a load of bad guys and it's for some reason changed to your sidearm instead. :(

Caporegime
yep, cut scenes are a little annoying, can imagine it gets worse second time through if you replay.

One thing that does annoy me, I have an MP5 selected, then you move to another area facing a load of bad guys and it's for some reason changed to your sidearm instead. :(

Yep thats annoyed me a few times, i know i have the ak47 selected but for some odd reason when i go to a new area, it makes my pistol my main weapon :/

Soldato

I think I've spent more time watching cut scenes than playing so far, a second play through would have to be done in afew months time. :p

So far I quite like the game, graphically it's very good. Reminds me of Alan Wake. Still battling the controls at times although it's not as bad as the first few levels were now that I'm used to them. Aim assist is a god send for me on this! Currently on chapter V of part one I believe. Taking a break via a rage quit as I've ended up in the river and being shot dead 5 times in a row now.......

Soldato
loving it so far! just changed to free aim through single player and it makes it a lot better! the other 2 options just hold your hand too much and freeaim actually feels rewarding!

im fine with the cutscenes, they are nothing on mgs4 lol! great game so far!

Soldato
i'm really enjoying this so far, i'm only on chapter 6 though. playing through on medium with aim assist off.

the cut scenes break up the gameplay nicely.

Soldato
So how good/bad is this compared to MP 1 & 2?

MP 1 & 2 always had that paranormal dark feeling to the games, this doesn't, it's more generic shooter.

It still has that comic book element too it, or at least it tries too.

However, the game has been good so far and is good in its own right, I am not sure it really measures up to the feel of the first two games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom