mcdonalds interview! Anyone worked there before?

Associate
My first job was in McDonald's. I lasted two shifts before quitting but I'll never forget the interview. Was asked why I had applied and replied "because I need the money". Was then asked why McDonald's and not somewhere else such as the shoe shop next door who were recruiting. I just shrugged.

There can't have been many applicants.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys

After a long period of time out of work due to illness I have an interview with McDonald's on Monday. Not really nervous about the interview but it says i have to do a OJE (On job evaluation) which has got me worried as im not entirely sure what I will be doing, has anyone done a OJE before?

Thanks

My son works at McD's, his first job. He was asked to go in in a white shirt, black trousers/shoes for his OJE, which didn't last very long, think he was in and out in an hour. Think he was just handing out drinks, simple stuff like that. Just smile and be approachable.
Make sure you take in all the documents they asked for for the interview, and look presentable(clean shaven etc)
Good luck!

Permabanned
https://targetjobs.co.uk/employer-h...ur-steps-of-the-mcdonalds-application-process

Stage 3: McDonald’s on-job evaluation
The on-job evaluation (OJE) is a day-long assessment in which candidates try out various tasks on the shop floor. Candidates join a restaurant crew for the first part, learning about customer service, cash-handling, equipment maintenance, food hygiene and health and safety.

Later on candidates learn about complaint handling and shift management. Candidates are observed while they take part in a series of group exercises to overcome various problems. Assessors are looking for evidence of leadership and team-working abilities, as well as calm-minded problem solving skills. Candidates have the chance to discuss the manager’s role and find out what would be expected of them.

https://targetjobs.co.uk/employer-h...job-evaluations-what-to-do-and-how-to-impress

Lots of info on what to do on the OJE, so imo you have failed for being lazy as a Google search would have found the info for you.

Soldato
Day long? Your kidding right? (EDIT just looked that's for a graduate management trainee job)

I used to work there five+ years ago and did most of the interviews. We used to get consistently between 10 and 30 applications per week and would take on no more than two people per week in peek times.

You will have a basic one on one interview and then they will put you with a staff member for 20 mins to an hour and you'll be handing out drinks etc or working in the dining area, nothing too taxing. They are just seeing if you can take instruction and smile at customers. The member of staff will feedback to the manager that interviewed you so be nice :)

Wear a shirt, trousers and shoes, tie optional for me but depends on what shirt you wear. We never told anyone if they were successful or not on the day, so don't worry if they don't tell you.

If you get the job buy a pair of boots/shoes with an oil resistant sole such as DM's (other brands are available). Normal shoes will last about a month if your full time and spend time in the kitchen, you will be better off spending a bit more to get something that will last. My DM shoes lasted over 2 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Be careful - they pay by the McHour which is decimalised into 100 McMinutes so your advertised wage may be less when you pro rata it down.

I told a good friend the above when he was applying for a graduate job there. I didn't think he'd be daft enough to believe me, but he asked that question during the interview. He didn't get the job.

Associate
Some sound advice in here bro. Just make sure you go in their looking presentable, clean and tidy. Prepare some questions for the interviewer and make sure you ask them (it'll show your interested).

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on.

Associate
Good luck Brit

Be yourself, get there a little early which will calm nerves if you are a nervous interviewee.

Smile, they want someone trustworthy, nice to work with, polite and dependable.

I am sure you will ace any OJE, just relax, listen hard and if you don't understand something just ask them to repeat it.

Soldato
Be careful - they pay by the McHour which is decimalised into 100 McMinutes so your advertised wage may be less when you pro rata it down.

I told a good friend the above when he was applying for a graduate job there. I didn't think he'd be daft enough to believe me, but he asked that question during the interview. He didn't get the job.

Dude that is complete and utter rubbish.

You are paid by the minute just like every other hours paid job where you are required to clock in and out. You have to convert minutes into decimal so you can actually calculate how much you are going to be paid. For example:

45 minutes = 0.75 hours
9 hours 15 mins = 9.25 hours etc.

You are already paid basically minimum wage, paying any less would be illegal and a company of that size could never get away with it. The daily mail would be over them like a rash let alone HMRC.

What you will find is that your mate asked the question about general terms and conditions for an hourly paid job when applying for a salaried graduate job which has the following problems:

A) Asking about terms and conditions in an interview is generally a no no, especially if they are well published already on the advert.

B) Your mate asked a ridiculous question about a 'Mc Myth', all that is going to do is get the interviewers back up.

C) The above was just made up like most McDonald's stories.

Caporegime
Dude that is complete and utter rubbish.

You are paid by the minute just like every other hours paid job where you are required to clock in and out. You have to convert minutes into decimal so you can actually calculate how much you are going to be paid. For example:

45 minutes = 0.75 hours
9 hours 15 mins = 9.25 hours etc.

You are already paid basically minimum wage, paying any less would be illegal and a company of that size could never get away with it. The daily mail would be over them like a rash let alone HMRC.

What you will find is that your mate asked the question about general terms and conditions for an hourly paid job when applying for a salaried graduate job which has the following problems:

A) Asking about terms and conditions in an interview is generally a no no, especially if they are well published already on the advert.

B) Your mate asked a ridiculous question about a 'Mc Myth', all that is going to do is get the interviewers back up.

C) The above was just made up like most McDonald's stories.

LOL you just fell for it as well :D

he said further down he said it to wind his mate up

Caporegime
I worked at McDonalds for a few months when I was 17-18.

It really is as bad as people say it is.

its dependent upon the staff.

I worked in one when I was 16 and hardly anybody was under the age of 21 apart from the managers. We all worked part time whilst working at college . sixth form. None of us saw it as anything other than a saturday job and we all had a laugh.

Yes its manual labour for low money. But then isn't everybody's part time job at college ?

its dependent upon the staff.

I worked in one when I was 16 and hardly anybody was under the age of 21 apart from the managers. We all worked part time whilst working at college . sixth form. None of us saw it as anything other than a saturday job and we all had a laugh.

Yes its manual labour for low money. But then isn't everybody's part time job at college ?

A Sunday shift at McDonalds was £4.50 an hour when I was 18.
I jacked it in for trolleys at Tesco, which was £6.01 an hour.....then 1.5x pay on Sunday. So Literally double the way for working with more pleasant people and not honking of grease.

Yes having a McJob is part of being a teenager, but almost every other student job is better pay, conditions, or both.
I remember the pain from burns from the fryer and almost crashing my car because my foot slipped off the clutch due to the grease on it.

I am really struggling to understand how even as a student job it is OK. They even had a big clock on the wall just to remind you how slow time was going.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never worked at McDonalds (I did Sainsburys and a theme park while at college) and I've heard mixed stories about working there. However one thing I've noticed it's always the more sociable people who I know that had a good time working there. I guess it's one of those jobs that can be fun if you build up a decent rapport with colleagues.

Soldato
to be fair I would say Mcdonalds is a job you will get out what you put in, never worked there personally but know a few that have from shop staff to area managers. they are very keen to promote from within so if you want to build a career you can. plenty of opportunity to do so as well. money on the lower rungs not that impressive min wage and slightly above iirc. but once you get up the grades and move into a management position the money is certainly competitive.

Back
Top Bottom