MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Soldato
They aren't dumb they know what people want from their testing groups and surveys though it wouldn't be difficult to skew those for 'correct audiences'. The issue is and always will be large businesses running products into the ground because they profit is all that matters to them.

I would beg to disagree. They are dumb. They keep getting their target audience completely wrong. Wrong actors, wrong story, wrong directors. You can not use the same recipe for all audiences, and yet that's what they are trying to do. Not only that, but they seem to be going through an identity crisis, where they are no longer even sure what that recipe is!!

Associate
They do know what their audience wants but like a lot of big corps, they want them to buy something else anyway because that what aligns with their internal goals, like Marvel's direction since they got pulled into the Hollywood hive mind of activisim. Another good example of this corporate hubris is Live Service games, on the whole people don't want them, flop after flop after flop but the AAA's are hellbent on making more and more of them.

They know people don't want the M-SHE-U - they have all the evidence to show that, but rather than admit their corpo strategy has failed and their financial goals haven't been met, they come up with coping strategies like attacking the fan base for not liking their products. The Sony head and various other execs elsewhere (inc Ubi) decided we were having NFT games whether we liked it or not despite the total apathy and outright opposition to them by gamers, but their coping strat was to say "You don't understand NFT's, it's your fault".

Predictable fail, they have given up on them, at least for now, it's different for Disney because their products have existed for decades, NFT's were never a thing to begin with. So they plough on. People think businesses always think rationally, because they almost always do because it has to be in the end all about $$$. But ego and activism in Disney's case have now usurped their bottom line thinking.

Until that priority changes back they're going to plough on with the M-SHE-U no-one wants, keep losing money, and keep on coping. I think initially Disney's line of thinking was "We don't want to do politics" but they made the fateful choice of bending the knee to activist pressure and are now trapped between the bottom line and their ego. So they keep kicking the can down the road. AAA gaming companies tend to whether backlashes to predatory practices and PTW, because it soon blows over really, and they're in a growth industry whereas Marvel are stuck in a dying one, that being traditional forms of entertainment delivered by traditonal means like cinema.

They'll quadruple down on this again with Phase 5, what a complete mess of their own making, they probably also thought they needed to attract new fans because of thing aging demographic of the older Marvel superfans who grew up on comics (another part of their business they have destroyed with terrible activism driven products) and wanted to appeal to a younger crowd, trouble is the younger crowd they needed to appeal too weren't freaks on twitter it was the younger people who flocked to see Phase 3.

M-SHE-U, multiverse BS, reboots, needing to do your homework to understand the latest movie, endless crap TV shows (milk the IP greed with constant "product") - none of this is appealing to the normie audience and that's who they have lost, the stans will watch anything. They thought they could set up a never-ending production line of sludge product and people would eat it down because it said Marvel on it, how wrong they were.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Rumour has it, Silver Surfer is going to be introduced into MCU but as a female character. Anya Taylor Joy apparently. I dont have problem with it myself as long as its done well and serves a purpose but if its just for the sake of it then it is pointless and just aggravate some fans.

Last edited:
Associate
Rumour has it, Silver Surfer is going to be introduced into MCU but as a female character. Anya Taylor Joy apparently. I dont have problem with it myself as long as its done well and serves a purpose but if its just for the sake of it then it is "disappointing".

What a surprise!

She was hot in Queens Gambit though.

:D

Soldato
Rumour has it, Silver Surfer is going to be introduced into MCU but as a female character. Anya Taylor Joy apparently. I dont have problem with it myself as long as its done well and serves a purpose but if its just for the sake of it then it is pointless and just aggravate some fans.
There are 2 female silver surfer variants in the comics - one from the 80's and one from about a decade ago. Both didn't last long

Soldato
I should have added neither were called the silver surfer - they were named juno and nova iirc. If the rumor is true, then as long as the character is called one of those then it's 'fine'.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
Silver Surfer never appealed to me when I read Marvel comics as a kid. I'm not sure why they're bothering unless it is essential for Secret Wars. Honestly at this point they need to focus on well known characters and build decent scripts around them. They've gone a bit too wide already and the quality hasn't been there to make it stick. Continuing to go wide at this point seems to be inviting failure.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Silver Surfer never appealed to me when I read Marvel comics as a kid. I'm not sure why they're bothering unless it is essential for Secret Wars. Honestly at this point they need to focus on well known characters and build decent scripts around them. They've gone a bit too wide already and the quality hasn't been there to make it stick. Continuing to go wide at this point seems to be inviting failure.

I think because of the whole situation with Jonathan Majors (Kang) (trial started this week)

Marvel might be doing a 180 as the original intention was to make a multitude of movies around him. So with Majors legal problems they could be quietly side stepping that idea and going with the next boss level bad guy, "Galactus" and the introductory of his Heralds which include SS. Must admit Marvel kinda lost their way atm, its no where near as well organised or scripted compared to earlier phases. Most are half baked ideas and losing quite a few of their main cast leads doesn't help. Although allegedly Robert Downey Jr is down to come back in some shape or form. Remains to be confirmed.

Soldato
I think because of the whole situation with Jonathan Majors (Kang) (trial started this week)

Marvel might be doing a 180 as the original intention was to make a multitude of movies around him. So with Majors legal problems they could be quietly side stepping that idea and going with the next boss level bad guy, "Galactus" and the introductory of his Heralds which include SS. Must admit Marvel kinda lost their way atm, its no where near as well organised or scripted compared to earlier phases. Most are half baked ideas and losing quite a few of their main cast leads doesn't help. Although allegedly Robert Downey Jr is down to come back in some shape or form. Remains to be confirmed.
They should have just recast Kang, not exactly hard is it considering 'multiverse'. Pulling galactus out of their arse is a terrible idea

Soldato
Dr Doom at least is a name and you can level Doom up with his adversaries, you can take him from an Iron Man-eque villain through to a Thanos-eque one and have his powers progress in tandem with the heroes. A much more suitable and well known bad guy.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
They should have just recast Kang, not exactly hard is it considering 'multiverse'. Pulling galactus out of their arse is a terrible idea

Yes i agree and not totally remove the idea. They are committed at this point imo and also recasting is not unheard of ie Terrance Howard / Rhodey.

Doom's already been in multiple f4 movies though. Think audiences need a break from him personally.

Exactly its been done quite a few times and all the wrong way. Kinda like Green Lantern Limbo atm. lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
nothing against Majors and he shouldn’t be dumped until found guilty!

But **** me what an awful villain and your main villain should never be anywhere near a TV show!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom