MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Pet Northerner
Don
Its not a strawman the question is to get people to think whether or not it make sense to single out one gender as I stated in the subsequent sentence (The sentence you ignored). Nice try though.

As far as I am aware, while it is men who actually perform the killing, women in the family can in some instance agree with and or support it. It may or may not be a rare thing but I believe it can happen. (I seem to remember a british case where the mother supported/aided in an honour killing and was jailed for her role in it)

It makes more sense to me that, anyone who supports honour killings regardless of gender should be made to feel uncomfortable about it. Maybe that doesn't make sense to you, that's your business but you haven't made an argument to support that.

well considering the question was specific to men, then the answer being about men isn't her just having a go singularly at men.

Did you even watch the clip, or did you see the headline and react?

The only important question surrounding the suitability of the director is why someone with so little experience with none-journalistic / animated movies has been given Star Wars as a first major film, as she may lack the experience required. Her gender / political stance shouldn't be near the equation.

Plus plenty of men without "woke politics" have made garbage Star Wars content, just like the MCU the IP is well over saturated and the writing has suffered greatly.

Soldato
well considering the question was specific to men, then the answer being about men isn't her just having a go singularly at men.
"What is the balance for activating a force for change but also trying to permeate the patriarchy that power structure and is it a part of the calculation of your art as well, and whats been the reaction to that?"

Unless there is more context that hasn't been posted, I don't see why you think the question above was specific to men?

Now that I've taken a closer look; is this interview actually about her film on the honour killing/was the lead upto this point about this film in question or was that your assumption on what she meant? Because the question is quite broad, and could easily just mean her work as a director in general.

The only important question surrounding the suitability of the director is why someone with so little experience with none-journalistic / animated movies has been given Star Wars as a first major film, as she may lack the experience required.

I agree

Her gender / political stance shouldn't be near the equation.
Unless she, the director, decides to make her gender a part of the equation.

“We’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.”

and as the question in that video, you apparently watched, implies her feminism (assuming thats the force for change they are talking about) shapes her art form.

If you have a problem with gender and political stance being part of the equation then you should take it up with the director. ;)

Edit: You can tell a lot by what people priorities talking about, the fact that the director brings up being a women (she doesn't say much about anything else) tells you exactly were her priorities are. It's not in trying to make a good star wars film.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Unless she, the director, decides to make her gender a part of the equation.

“We’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.”

and as the question in that video, you apparently watched, implies her feminism (assuming thats the force for change they are talking about) shapes her art form.

If you have a problem with gender and political stance being part of the equation then you should take it up with the director. ;)

Edit: You can tell a lot by what people priorities talking about, the fact that the director brings up being a women (she doesn't say much about anything else) tells you exactly were her priorities are. It's not in trying to make a good star wars film.

I am very much on the side of far too many studios cocking up by thinking that they can give massive IP to ideologically driven or simply inexperienced directors however her comments aren't necessarily indicative of that. Shes simply saying that in this day and age there should have been a female director of a star wars film. Not that she is going to direct a star wars film to be an essay on feminism.

Man of Honour
@Chuk_Chuk

It makes more sense to me that, anyone who supports honour killings regardless of gender should be made to feel uncomfortable about it.

… nobody has said otherwise.

It makes sense that people who want to reduce violence commuted against women by men seek to change the perspectives of men in particular.

‘Aiming to change the perspectives of men’ and ‘making everyone feel uncomfortable’ are not mutually exclusive.

In respect of your conversation with @montymint re: the question she was asked in that clip, I’ve highlighted the bit which pertains to men and male dominated societies:

"What is the balance for activating a force for change but also trying to permeate the patriarchy that power structure and is it a part of the calculation of your art as well, and whats been the reaction to that?"

Also, yes, women can also be participants in violence against women. This does not mean it is hypocritical or objectionable to specifically address issues of violence committed against women by men in male dominated societies.

Soldato
I am very much on the side of far too many studios cocking up by thinking that they can give massive IP to ideologically driven or simply inexperienced directors however her comments aren't necessarily indicative of that. Shes simply saying that in this day and age there should have been a female director of a star wars film. Not that she is going to direct a star wars film to be an essay on feminism.
You raise a good point but I take a more cynical approach. I guess we will wait and see

Soldato
… nobody has said otherwise.
Takes post out of context to make a point. :rolleyes:

In respect of your conversation with @montymint re: the question she was asked in that clip, I’ve highlighted the bit which pertains to men and male dominated societies:
I disagree that, the highlighted phrase means that the question is specific to men.
But lets assume you are right, that make her answer stupid and shows a total lack of understanding on her part on how to communicate with men (people in general but hey it's specific to men). Especially when you consider the glee in which she says it at first. Ironically it means that she is destined to fail in her endeavour to change minds.

Soldato
So just to be clear then - The "make men uncomfortable" clip was taken from an interview shot 8 years ago from a time when she was popular for her Oscar winning "Acid attacks on women in Pakistan" documentary, which is what she was responding to in that question (hence the uncomfortable men comment) rather than something she specifically mentioned after getting the Star Wars job.

Now, whether that quote would still relevant if she was asked again today I've no idea, but based on what's been said by her "after" getting the SW job I would say it probably still was, and wanting to make the roughly 70% male fan base "uncomfortable" may not be the best way to be inclusive.

From what I've seen so far, the general concern with her as a director seems to be that she has no film director experience, no Sci-Fi experience, no "Star Wars" experience, no CGI experience, no fight scene/space battle experience, no big budget experience, no large production experience and yet she has been hand picked by Lucasfilm to be the director of the next sci-fi based Star Wars film which will be filled with CGI and fight/space battle scenes that requires a huge budget and production. No doubt she will will be given all the help in the world, which then means - what will she have actually done if everyone else on the team, those who already have the experience, have to do almost everything for her? To me it "smells" like another The Marvels situation, where an unknown, inexperienced director is hired for the boxes they check, and then is rapidly dumped once they aren't required (during editing/post-production) only to be rolled out for the premiere, by which time they realise they've been used i.e. what happened to The Marvels director.

Now, all of that would be a huge concern to me if I actually gave a poop about SW nowadays, but I don't, so irrespective of whether its a worldwide smash or a billion dollar flop, I just don't care any more but its fun to watch the fireworks :D

Last edited:
Associate
No relevant experience, complete hyprocrite with regard to her own femiminity (such as it is), clearly an activist first and foremost and a misandrist to boot, and sounds absolutely unhinged...

What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not strictly Disney movie related, but I went to the Disney 100 Exhibition today at the Excel Centre. Genuinely one of the best exhibitions I've been too in many years. Only has a few days left to go before it closes and moves off to who knows where next.

It goes from right at the start with the silent shorts in the 20's right the way up to current day. Was great seeing some of the original sketches for various characters and films. One of my absolute favourites is one from 101 Dalmatians of Cruella looking absolutely insane. It's just a simple ink on paper sketch, but it's wonderful. You get to see some Audio Anamatronics pieces from history, and more impressively (to me anyway) an extremely rare Pixar Image Computer. Much want. Even if I could just get the case I'd be happy, but this looked like a complete system with the CRT monitor too. Soooo much want!

Through Star Wars (sadly there's nothing from the OT or Prequals) but did have the gold dice from the Millennium Falcon, BB8, Luke's lightsaber and a Stormtrooper costume from the sequals amongst other things. Next up, Marvel, various art, costumes, helmets and so on.

Then, right at the end is one of the props that I never thought I'd see up close. It's one I want to build a version of and have for a long time. Now I've seen a real one, I want one more than ever. Hell, I want the full costume now... It's the Rocketeer's helmet. I know, it's not a great film but I think the design work in it is absolutely spot on. It's so much cruder in person that I imagined. I know they're generally done to a 'that looks good enough on camera' standard, but even given that. Ooof. But still... WANT! My 3d printing schedule may have to be shifted about a bit.

There's other props and costumes, things from the parks, things about the stage musicals, music and sound effects, interactive displays and videos to see. Apparently it should have taken an hour to get around the exhibition. We took about 3 hours. I think that's partially as the other half had her wrong glasses on :rolleyes: and partially that I'm a sucker for behind the scenes and technical things. If you can get to it in the next few days and have an interest in the history of cinema and/or Disney... Go for it.

Soldato
OP
Right so if Mando film is going into production that means the Ray film has been put on hold/ delayed lol.

Would explain why the director came out swinging!!!

Or straight to Disney plus hahah

Woo hoo

Last edited:
Don
It’s “announced” just means somebody somewhere is maybe thinking of possibly developing a script for it.

It’s likely something else that’ll never see the light of day. Though I’ve seen people suggest that this might just be S4 of Mando and condensed into a film so they can release it at the cinema and actually make money from it (lol).

Streaming looks to a busted flush for revenue so we might actually see more of this sort of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom