MegaDrive Genesis Mini available on Sep.19 worldwide (NTSC + PAL; $70, $90 with 2 controllers) - M2

Caporegime
Qt27MPH.jpg.png

8A9JMQZ.jpg

Just announced at Sega FES.

US will get a Genesis branded console.
40 games in total, 10 announced.
Releasing on September 19 worldwide.
Price will be 6980円 with 1 controller ($70) and 8980円 with 2 controllers ($90)
Controllers will be USB based.
Save state support.
Confirmed to be developed by M2!
Yuzo Koshiro will be making new music for the menus of the console.

List of games announced:

BXV3vgN.jpg
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Comix Zone
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Madō Monogatari
  • Puyo Puyo Tsu
  • Rent a Hero
  • Shining Force
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier 2
  • Wrestleball
I can’t wait for this, the console of my childhood. I hope we see Ghouls N Ghosts along with some others like jungle strike and road rash 2, Streets of Rage.

I had a Japanese Genesis so I will probably get both of them if they different game lineups.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Soldato
Pre ordered but may not keep as I have a retroflag snes mini with basically everything already. If the interface is good and they are able to make decent filters and bezels I may keep.

So they're definitely the 3 button pads? Doesn't Japan have the 6? Doesn't really bother me as the only game I'd need 6 for would be sf2 and I'd just play the arcade rom anyway.

Soldato
Yeah I too imagine this won't have Sonic 3&knuckles in its true form. I think I played a release once with a dirty soundtrack that made it unplayable. The music is essential to my nostalgia for that one

Man of Honour
Pre ordered but may not keep as I have a retroflag snes mini with basically everything already. If the interface is good and they are able to make decent filters and bezels I may keep.

So they're definitely the 3 button pads? Doesn't Japan have the 6? Doesn't really bother me as the only game I'd need 6 for would be sf2 and I'd just play the arcade rom anyway.

Yup. Japan has 6 button usb pads, US and EU have 3 button usb pads.

Soldato
i'm sure most of the games can be bought or sourced on a pc nowadays anyway. all you need is a steam link which can be bought for a fiver to then play on any tv in your house

This would give them a fully licenced way to tap into nostalgia while people get the games they want though. I understand there are different ways to do it but a lot would pay good money for the authentic look and feel.

Caporegime
This would give them a fully licenced way to tap into nostalgia while people get the games they want though. I understand there are different ways to do it but a lot would pay good money for the authentic look and feel.

i'm sure you can get a lot of the games authentically and fully licensed. they have released classic packs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/34270/SEGA_Mega_Drive_and_Genesis_Classics/

as well as individual games. you can also buy controllers built in the style and feel of the old ones too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wir...34&hvtargid=pla-649698692307&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

so like i said no need to pay the price they are asking. it's cheaper if you already own a pc to get a steam link and a controller, etc.

Soldato
i'm sure you can get a lot of the games authentically and fully licensed. they have released classic packs.

so like i said no need to pay the price they are asking. it's cheaper if you already own a pc to get a steam link and a controller, etc.

I know what you mean and completely agree, but take my brother as an example. Not a serious gamer but enjoys his PS4 and grew up on a Mega Drive. He would almost certainly buy a "Mega Drive Classic" console that just plugs into his TV with the ability to purchase and download the games he loved as a kid.

I am pretty sure he's not alone either.

Caporegime
I know what you mean and completely agree, but take my brother as an example. Not a serious gamer but enjoys his PS4 and grew up on a Mega Drive. He would almost certainly buy a "Mega Drive Classic" console that just plugs into his TV with the ability to purchase and download the games he loved as a kid.

I am pretty sure he's not alone either.

the problem with a lot of these new retro consoles is they don't scale well on new tv's. playing them on a modern tv is like having cateracts in your eyes. i'd much rather have a proper upscaled version with all the fancy stuff you can do on pc to make them playable. graphics are a huge part of it.

i couldn't play any of these old games. i'm not interested in them in the slightest. i went to a gaming convention a few years back and they had all the games there including new games and old. goldeneye was there as were most classics and honestly i couldn't play it after 30 seconds it just gave me awful thoughts about a game i loved. i was literally confused at how i played it for so long and so often. the controls felt awful, the graphics were so bad i cannot remember them being that bad. same goes for all old gen consoles. as soon as a new console comes out i can't play the old ones again. so i usually give them away to nearby childrens hospital including all the games, etc.

i know some people love them but i think they are cashing in on retro being in fashion. i bet most people play them for a week then they sit there gathering dust.

Back
Top Bottom