• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

Associate
I've had 2 cablemod cables. The first black screened 100% fan spin my 4090FE the second after ran fine. Took it out and using the Nvidia adapter as heard of that melts Nvidia will accept rma. Have a Corsair RM1000X psu and I also have a corsair 12vhpwr cable which to me seems the worst quality of the lot so never used.
Ah i have had many cables over the year ... on 1st name terms with Cablemod customer support :cry: Had 3 of their normal cables go bad due to the stupid sense wires so black screening etc and even RMA my 1st FE GPU because of it only to receive a replacement which of course did it again:cry: ( at the time wasn't aware of the sense wire issue )... then had the adapter melting which they sorted and now on cable number 4 which is the 90deg all in one cable and thankfully stealth sense wires so no longer can get damaged etc or at least its been ok so far but time will tell... but yeah pretty good friends with Cablemod by now :D

Soldato
And I've said it before and will say it agian, sack off any third party adapter/cable idea and use the PSU maker's direct cable like the Corsair HVPWR 600W. Yet to see a single one of those melt, all of the melting is from the cablemods or Nvidia adapters. The Nvidia ones you can see why, such a stupid design and 4 cables going into one tiny connector. Cablemod ones just seemed suspect from day 1, and look where we are now (the above recall).

If your PSU maker doesn't have such a cable offering, buy a new PSU.

Think the 16 pin cable that comes in the box with my PSU is made by cable mod

Last edited:
Soldato
And I've said it before and will say it agian, sack off any third party adapter/cable idea and use the PSU maker's direct cable like the Corsair HVPWR 600W. Yet to see a single one of those melt, all of the melting is from the cablemods or Nvidia adapters. The Nvidia ones you can see why, such a stupid design and 4 cables going into one tiny connector. Cablemod ones just seemed suspect from day 1, and look where we are now (the above recall).

If your PSU maker doesn't have such a cable offering, buy a new PSU.

There was an asus psu that melted their new spec gpu cable too, saw it on youtube an owner from a well known and respected reviewer that purchased one for his system and also melted with a 4090 the cable that came with the psu, need to find it was one of the new high end asus psus with the new spec gpu cables.

So some care still needs to be taken no mater what cable or adapter is used even the included adapter cables as we know have melted, the ones they say to use or no warranty if using any other cables or adapters.. :rolleyes:

Problem is the connector is rubbish and needs fully replacing with a new type and stop blaming user error on such a connector that has clearly showed it is not fit for purpose no matter how many times they update it...

Man of Honour
Problem is the connector is rubbish and needs fully replacing with a new type and stop blaming user error on such a connector that has clearly showed it is not fit for purpose no matter how many times they update it...

One of the reasons I'm leery buying a 4090, or the 4000 series in general even if better priced :(

Soldato
It's pretty clear that if these companies intend to keep using 12hwpr they gonna need to install some electronic safety circuits into the cables and connections. All this tweaking this and tweaking that is these companies trying to look for an easy way out that doesn't triple the cost of building the cables and connection ports by having electronic components inside them - they are simply trying to dodge their responsibility

Recently a Chinese EV car manufacturer had the same problem - they tried to save cost by not using electronic safety components for the power delivery cable and connection port. This resulted in situations where a loose fitting cable or poorly seated cable would still send power through it, resulting in overheating, sparks and fires. At least because human life is at risk, the car had a forced government recall that required them to create the proper safety measures.

When it comes to 12hwpr there is no mandatory government recall, no government is demanding safety systems be installed for these cables or GPUs and because of that these companies will do as little as possible to make the problem go away. Nothing is going to change until one of these cables burns a house down and a family inside it

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the reasons I'm leery buying a 4090, or the 4000 series in general even if better priced

I saw many 4090's second hand at one point being sold for £950 - £1000 and would allow you to inspect the card before purchase and clearly showed no damage to the connectors... I was so close to buying and then common sense kicked in and said nope don't do it as you can't trust any 4090 with that power connector on it, every brand and even the FE has had the melting issues so far, even using the cables provided with the gpu.. so not adapter faults or bad psu cables..

Every time I see one selling at a good price I step back and remember this mess and puts me right off.. Sadly a dead generation for me for more than one reason and the power issue reason is now number one and then missing nvlink is reason one too so too many reasons right at the start for me and even if I wanted one just for gaming for a single gpu system I think no thanks and could do without a house fire if I walk away from the system and the never ending checking if the connector has decided to finally melt or not..

I wish they would just go back to the previous 8/6 pin connectors that have proven to work and safe, then drop this silly connector on their next products, if they carry on with this connector for 5000 series and ends up again with melting issues then again no 5000 series for me too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw many 4090's second hand at one point being sold for £950 - £1000 and would allow you to inspect the card before purchase and clearly showed no damage to the connectors... I was so close to buying and then common sense kicked in and said nope don't do it as you can't trust any 4090 with that power connector on it, every brand and even the FE has had the melting issues so far, even using the cables provided with the gpu.. so not adapter faults or bad psu cables..

Every time I see one selling at a good price I step back and remember this mess and puts me right off.. Sadly a dead generation for me for more than one reason and the power issue reason is now number one and then missing nvlink is reason one too so too many reasons right at the start for me and even if I wanted one just for gaming for a single gpu system I think no thanks and could do without a house fire if I walk away from the system and the never ending checking if the connector has decided to finally melt or not..

I wish they would just go back to the previous 8/6 pin connectors that have proven to work and safe, then drop this silly connector on their next products, if they carry on with this connector for 5000 series and ends up again with melting issues then again no 5000 series for me too.

Problem is if 4090's were using 8 pin and all 4090's still had the same TDP as they do now... the average 4090 would have 4x8 pin connectors and some 4090s would have 8x8 pin connectors. Therefore the average gamers will need a new PSU cause most likely they do not have enough 8 pin connections on their psu

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem is if 4090's were using 8 pin and all 4090's still had the same TDP as they do now... the average 4090 would have 4x8 pin connectors and some 4090s would have 8x8 pin connectors. Therefore the average gamers will need a new PSU cause most likely they do not have enough 8 pin connections on their psu

Been done before so no reason not to do it again.. and 4 x 8pin is more than enough for a 4090 and basically what they are as the adapter cable has 4 x 8pin on it.

Back to the good old days...

Devil 13 Radeon R9 390 X2 16384MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (AXR9 390 II 16GBD5)

Product information:
Devil 13 Radeon R9 390 X2 16384MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (AXR9 390 II 16GBD5)
PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 is built with carefully-designed Platinum Power Kit and ultra-efficient thermal design. It consists of massive 15-phase power delivery, PowerIRstage, Super Cap and Ferrite Core Choke that provides the stability and reliability for such high-end graphics solution. To support maximum performance and to qualify for the Devil 13 cooling system, 3 Double Blades Fans are attached on top of the enormous surface of aluminum fins heatsink connected with total of 10 pieces of heat pipes and 2 pieces of large die-cast panels. This superb cooling solution achieves a perfect balance between thermal solution and noise reduction. The PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 has the LED backlighting that glows a bright red color, pulsating slowly on the Devil 13 logo.

The Dual BIOS button design allows gamers to pursuit extreme performance in the easiest way to control. Four units of 8 pin PCI-E power connector draws more power offering constant and stable power input. What's more, to honor Devil 13 users, we have included the top-notch gaming mouse, the Razer Ouroboros, as a free gift inside the box. Why? Simply because we strongly believe our Devil 13 users deserves to have the best of the best.

The PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 graphics card supports for AMD LiquidVR™, GCN Architecture, Mantle, Exploit DirectX© 12, AMD CorssFire™, Virtual Super Resolution, HD3D technology, Frame Rate Target Control, and AMD FreeSync™ technologies. Once more, the Devil 13 has risen from Hell and will once again dominate the extreme gaming world with ease.

Specification:-
- GPU: Grenada Pro x2
- Stream Processors: 5120
- Core Speed: 1000MHz
- Memory Speed: 5400Mhz
- Memory interface: 512-Bit
- Memory capacity: 16384MB GDDR5
- PCI-Express X16 lane required

- 1000W Gold or greater PSU required
- Power Connectors: 4x 8-pin required

- Display Outputs: 2x Dual Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort
- Includes Razer Ouroboros Gaming Mouse
- Warranty: 2yr

Gxx9Nss.jpeg

Can't wait to see 4 x 16pin in the future on GPU cards
:cry:
, they said 4 x 8pin would never happen too...
:rolleyes:

New video on this card.

Last edited:
Soldato
4x8 to what, 12hwpr on the PSU? Isn't that the same problem?

As above 4 x 8pin connectors on the card, the cards are huge anyways and have the space to add them, but they went with tiny silly dangerous connector instead that needs their adapter cable to basically add 4 x 8pin unless you use the new psu cables 12vHPR and then they void your warranty if the card melts as you didn't use the supplied adapter cable with 4 x 8pin on it to the new connector .. it's all insane really and Nvidia and the standards company responsible for this mess should be taken to court.

Associate
It wouldn't even need 4 x 8pin as currently I am pulling 600w+ over a 2 x 8 pin to 12vhpwr which tells you the 2 x 8 pin are more than happy to deal with 600w but from a safety perspective just put 3 of them back on the gpu side as worked perfectly fine last generation and personally would happily deal with the larger footprint of the 3 x 8 pin if I know its never going to melt and can have 100% faith in it which isn't the case we currently have :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
For anyone still using an angled adapter you are advised to stop using it immediately, this includes both v1 and v1.1

Yeah just had this email through. For them to include the latest v1.1, it shows that these angled connectors are just not worth the risk for any company.

Why accept liability for all those users who'll be rough and not plug it in properly? Not worth the lawsuits and hassle.

Soldato
What a debacle this has been from Nvidia.
From their point of view, it's been tremendously profitable, they can do no wrong currently.

Can you imagine the Nvidia 5000 series reviews? Assume they manage to improve performance per watt by 30%+ with the new architecture/process, negating the need for the 12VHPWR connector and returning the good old 8pin. Nvidia will be celebrated as our saviour in the reviews :D

Associate
Does anyone have any good 90 degree cable or adaptor alternatives? The default 3 PCI-E to 12VHPWR cable included in the box barely fits in my O11D. I am pretty fed up as I already bought a v1.1 adaptor in addition to the first version.

My Coolermaster 100W PSU does not have a native 12VHPWR connector by the way

Last edited:
Soldato
All these 12 pin cable problems are so frustrating to see. Cables are not complicated - the bigger the connectors the more current it can handle, simple as that. Why try to put the same current through a much smaller connector with smaller pins and a connector which is not as secure as the larger 8 pin one?

But also why issues with the Cablemod 90 degree connectors? All it is is a plastic housing with metal conductors inside, there is no reason it should not work perfectly if the conductors are appropriately sized and the connector secure.

Associate
All these 12 pin cable problems are so frustrating to see. Cables are not complicated - the bigger the connectors the more current it can handle, simple as that. Why try to put the same current through a much smaller connector with smaller pins and a connector which is not as secure as the larger 8 pin one?

But also why issues with the Cablemod 90 degree connectors? All it is is a plastic housing with metal conductors inside, there is no reason it should not work perfectly if the conductors are appropriately sized and the connector secure.
I am pretty sure that Cablemod really thinks the problem is with the GPU sockets or the cables plugging into their angled adaptors, (parts they have no quality control over) : they talk about the male end potentially coming loose and melting. They already tried to optimise their sides of the connections with v1.1 but clearly they are still seeing failures with these newer models. Since they are often held accountable for the failures and can no longer aquire replacement stock of 4090s to give to affected customers, they are pulling out of the situation.

I am certain that the Cablemod angled adaptors are no more likely to fail than the various brands of 3 PCI-E to 12VHPWR adaptor cables, but that Cablemod no longer want to be liable for these failures when their product is connected to one of these. From now on either the GPU maker will be liable when the bundled adaptor is used or the PSU manufacturer if their proprietary 12VHPWR cable is used.

My 2 (one in a friend's PC) are both very tightly connented to the GPUs, but clearly I won't be taking the risk of leaving them in their when that would effectively void our warranty in the case of a failure down the line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom