Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Associate
Thanks. I don't really want to spend more than £30k and thought about a C63 but the extra running costs and initial outlay ruled it out. Especially when the majority of my driving involves having the entire family in the car.
Going to look at it tomorrow, my only concern is that the garage said it has FSH, 2 services by MB and one by them. Will have a look at it anyway.
Not too bothered by adaptive cruise, 360 cameras but the exhaust might be an issue. How can you tell if it has the performance exhaust?

I've had my C43 estate for 3 years now.....best car I've ever owned.

- No performance exhaust on mine - it still sounds far better than any 4 pot engine does. The performance exhaust adds pops and bangs, if that's your kind of thing;

- Crabbing is an issue in anything below c. 12 degrees. It's easily cured by swapping to all season tyres (this was the 'fix' that Mercedes themselves did on the GLC43 which suffered the problem even worse than the C43). I've put Vredestein Quatrac Pro's on mine (designed for high performance vehicles) and I no longer have any crabbing;

- It's thirsty. Expect 23MPG day to day but you can get up to 36MPG on a motorway run;

- The panoramic roof is awesome. That one also has the Burmeister system which is a big step up from standard.

At 48k miles, check for full service history and when the next service is due. The C43 is serviced on an annual basis alternating A (expensive) and B (oil and filter) services. There was a recall recently to check some hoses that were potentially a fire risk. Check that has been done (mine were fine, they said).

Soldato
I've had my C43 estate for 3 years now.....best car I've ever owned.

- No performance exhaust on mine - it still sounds far better than any 4 pot engine does. The performance exhaust adds pops and bangs, if that's your kind of thing;

- Crabbing is an issue in anything below c. 12 degrees. It's easily cured by swapping to all season tyres (this was the 'fix' that Mercedes themselves did on the GLC43 which suffered the problem even worse than the C43). I've put Vredestein Quatrac Pro's on mine (designed for high performance vehicles) and I no longer have any crabbing;

- It's thirsty. Expect 23MPG day to day but you can get up to 36MPG on a motorway run;

- The panoramic roof is awesome. That one also has the Burmeister system which is a big step up from standard.

At 48k miles, check for full service history and when the next service is due. The C43 is serviced on an annual basis alternating A (expensive) and B (oil and filter) services. There was a recall recently to check some hoses that were potentially a fire risk. Check that has been done (mine were fine, they said).
Thanks. Went and had a look at it. It's had 3 services. One in 2018, one in 2020 and one this year.
The issues I had with the car are that it had no owners folder (they said all the service data is added to MB database and they had paperwork to show the services have been done, and also that they are going to buy a new book) and also that it has no apple car play or android auto, that was for 2018 models onwards.
If its true about the service history being digital that doesn't bother me but not sure I want to deal with the Command system without Android Auto as its already a step down from idrive.
Apart from that it's a really nice car and they will fix a couple of parking dings and a small rattle from the central sat nav screen.

Associate
Thanks. Went and had a look at it. It's had 3 services. One in 2018, one in 2020 and one this year.
The issues I had with the car are that it had no owners folder (they said all the service data is added to MB database and they had paperwork to show the services have been done, and also that they are going to buy a new book) and also that it has no apple car play or android auto, that was for 2018 models onwards.
If its true about the service history being digital that doesn't bother me but not sure I want to deal with the Command system without Android Auto as its already a step down from idrive.
Apart from that it's a really nice car and they will fix a couple of parking dings and a small rattle from the central sat nav screen.

They are correct re. the service book. I think a lot of manufacturers are heading this way now.

At that age / price, you definitely won't get a C43 with the Android Auto/Apple Car Play option so you would need to up the budget for that. The Command system is nowhere near as good as iDrive of a similar age, I agree. The newer MBUX is much better in this respect.

Man of Honour
Had my PS4S's fitted today after a nightmare day yesterday where one of the alloy centre caps had been overtightened and it couldn't be undone. Tyre centre didn't want to push it any further once I told them the centre caps are £600 a set :D

Called Mercedes Newbury who were the last people to have the wheels off, and was told "Yeah, not our problem, we'll try and fix it for you but it will be £200 (minimum of an hours labour) and you'll have to wait 2 weeks".

Told them to jog on, in less polite words than that. Seriously, Newbury used to be an amazing branch when it was Sytner, amazing customer service, would treat you like a valued customer even in between services etc, would call to see how you're enjoying the car etc. Since Sandown bought the dealership, they've become easily the worst dealership of any brand I've dealt with. Avoid them at all costs, anyone who might be considering buying a car through them.

Anyway, took it to a few local tyre centres who all had a go but couldn't budge it, but thankfully, Mercedes Reading told me to bring it to them as they've experienced this before and have a special tool for the job. Took it there this morning and it was loosened within seconds, and I was back on my way to have the tyres fitted.

Forgot how good PS4S's were, transformed the car even when going from Super Sports

Associate
My wife's 2019 A250 is due for its second service. For many reasons, it's only done 2000 miles since the last service a year ago. The next service is classed by MB as a B service and MB dealer wants just under £500 for the service. A local MB indy using MB parts etc will only charge £250 for the same service. It's likely we will sell the A250 in 12 months' time. My question is this. Will we be offered less in part ex having used an independent to do the service or is that just folklore!
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Soldato
My wife's 2019 A250 is due for its second service. For many reasons, it's only done 2000 miles since the last service a year ago. The next service is classed by MB as a B service and MB dealer wants just under £500 for the service. A local MB indy using MB parts etc will only charge £250 for the same service. It's likely we will sell the A250 in 12 months' time. My question is this. Will we be offered less in part ex having used an independent to do the service or is that just folklore!
Thanks in advance for any advice.

So long as the Indy has access to the Mercedes service record database so they can record the service and they use genuine parts, it doesn’t make any difference. Well it didn’t make any difference when I traded in my E43 to a Mercedes dealer. It’s good enough to keep your warranty in tact after all

Associate
So long as the Indy has access to the Mercedes service record database so they can record the service and they use genuine parts, it doesn’t make any difference. Well it didn’t make any difference when I traded in my E43 to a Mercedes dealer. It’s good enough to keep your warranty in tact after all
Thanks for the reply. Yes, he has confirmed the original parts will be used and that he can update MB digital record/database.

Soldato
I've put a deposit on the C43. Still very nervous about ownership as I'm so used to BMW, but glad I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new.
Going to get a car play/android box fitted ASAP. That's the only thing it's missing.
Can you get coding software for Mercs that work on an ODBII adapter? I used Bimmer Code and it's pretty decent.
It's going to MB next week for the recall before being delivered.

Last edited:
Associate
I've put a deposit on the C43. Still very nervous about ownership as I'm so used to BMW, but glad I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new.
Going to get a car play/android box fitted ASAP. That's the only thing it's missing.
Can you get coding software for Mercs that work on an ODBII adapter? I used Bimmer Code and it's pretty decent.
It's going to MB next week for the recall before being delivered.
Nice congrats! Look forward to some pictures :cool:

Caporegime
Has anyone found a decent mount for a phone on W205? I have one on the vent but it moves with some enthusiastic cornering, hoping someone's found something sturdier.

Back
Top Bottom