Poll: Merge in turn - why does nobody get it?

Who was in the right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[TW]Fox;27944001 said:
That seems somewhat different and admitting to doing that is only going to add to the case of those who support the Renault driver. Going right the way around the roundabout to gain priority over those correctly queuing in the left hand lane isn't good practice as per highway code, is it?

Just playing Devil's Advocate; the HWC doesn't forbid such an action or state you should not do it does it? It's not illegal either. I personally wouldn't do it, but I suppose you could if you wanted to.

Just playing Devil's Advocate; the HWC doesn't forbid such an action or state you should not do it does it? It's not illegal either. I personally wouldn't do it, but I suppose you could if you wanted to.

There is absolutely nothing illegal about it but neither is it recognised as the correct way to do something either. Which is why I don't think it's the same thing.

I face a similar situation on my way into Bristol every day. I go in the outside lane and as a vast majority of drivers decide to queue on the left I get to the front relatively quickly. About once a week a driver (usually a lorry) will take it upon themselves to straddle the lanes in order to block me. I don't get particularly wound up but do find the self righteous enforcement a little odd.

I was taught to merge in turn, it is in the highway code and is completely logical to me.

the HC isn't the law and it only says Do not. Doesn't the HC Say Must Not when its Law

I think you've answered your own question (twice).

The Highway Code is not the Law and does use 'must' and 'must not' when specifically referring to things which are stated in Law.

I also believe you were right when you said that 'undertaking' (overtaking on the left) is not a crime in itself, but that it could be used as an example of another offence.

What the Highway Code is trying to indicate, is that in slow moving queueing traffic, where lanes are moving at similar speeds, then it is ok to pass on the left - or pass on the nearside.

The quoted text is trying to point out that important distinction between 'undertaking' (overtaking on the left) which is likely to land you in trouble and 'passing on the left', or 'passing on the nearside', which is specifically allowed in this sort of circumstance.

I'm not saying that the Merc driver was breaking the law by driving quickly down the left hand lane and passing traffic on his right. But that doesn't necessarily make it the 'right' thing for him to have been doing either.

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;27943619 said:
I believe the majority were slowing themselves down by believing they knew better than the traffic planner who set the roadworks up in the first place.

The only thing the Merc was doing wrong was arguably driving too quickly.

In static traffic where there is a clear obstruction you'd have to explain very clearly how having 2 lines of traffic and not one means the queue can decrease any faster than a single line. I just dont think it does. If everyobe was moving at 20 mph maybe. When traffic is deadlocked how would it help that's wgat i don't understand. Zero movement of obe lane = zero movement of 2 lanes.

In static traffic where there is a clear obstruction you'd have to explain very clearly how having 2 lines of traffic and not one means the queue can decrease any faster than a single line. I just dont think it does. If everyobe was moving at 20 mph maybe. When traffic is deadlocked how would it help that's wgat i don't understand. Zero movement of obe lane = zero movement of 2 lanes.

Even if there is no movement, using both lanes better uses the space, preventing mile long tailbacks as well as avoiding unnecessary blocked junctions or roundabouts. It's just common sense to queue in the two lanes provided.

It's not really about speed as if it's gridlocked with one car pulling off at a time then it will move the same speed, 1 lane or 2. What it is about is using road space efficiently and minimising tail backs blocking roundabouts and junctions. And...... Whether there's a good reason or not (which what I've just explained is) if a lane isn't closed/ coned off then it's free for all to use. The fact the 'but, but, but, it's rude' brigade can't seem to grasp this concept is amazing.

Rules are realistically there for people who aren't clever enough to make their own judgements.

Lapping a roundabout isn't a reasonable thing to do.

I thought it was a merge in turn scenario but friend who works in temporary traffic management just said this:

"...this is not a merge in turn scenario due to the fact that black on yellow signs on the verge are distance plates until the lane is shut, this called your lane change zone whereby all traffic should be in the correct lane well before they approach the arrow and taper...Minimum distance should 200yds before the arrow with the ideal distance being 800yds before...The cone from start of taper to finish extends another 137yds but the idea behind an advance lane change zone is to reduce potential risk to driver and road worker by given them plenty of advance notice regarding the lane being shut the idea being that if the miss one sign they will see the next in plenty of time to change lane."

I personally would have merged closer to 200 yards rather than sooner.

This is what I was thinking as I didn't see any merge in turn or "use both lanes to queue" signs on that video and the video starts just before the 200 yard marker.

I have a similar closed lane on a dual carriageway on my way to work but that has massive red signs saying to use both lanes to queue (and still you get a massive long jam in one lane most of the time :o)

To be honest both drivers look like numpties in the video. Where is that option in the poll :p?

They reacted badly to a situation that shouldn't have happened in the first place - the Renault driver was a **** and caused the situation because he doesn't know the rules of the road.

There is nothing more to this video.

This is what I was thinking as I didn't see any merge in turn or "use both lanes to queue" signs on that video and the video starts just before the 200 yard marker.

It doesn't need to:

Road Works: 288
Where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)

There isn't a sign that says stop at a red light but that's what you're meant to do :p

I have a similar closed lane on a dual carriageway on my way to work but that has massive red signs saying to use both lanes to queue (and still you get a massive long jam in one lane most of the time :o)

Those signs only exist to try and stop the tidal wave of morons who queue in a single lane. They don't imply you shouldn't use both lanes if they are not present.

There's a road in Chelmsford that's good for doing an impatient merc move.

As long as you gun it to 100mph+ you can scream past someone doing the limit and merge smoothly in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom