Poll: Merge in turn - why does nobody get it?

Who was in the right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[TW]Fox;27945460 said:
Those signs only exist to try and stop the tidal wave of morons who queue in a single lane. They don't imply you shouldn't use both lanes if they are not present.

What about the following from the highway code (re roadworks):

"You MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit."

"Use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct."

"Do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic."

Also:

"Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed."

It only says it is recommended if safe to do so.

The video only shows up to just before the 200 yard marker. We don't know how long the queue was behind that or what else was going on, so it could be very easily argued that the Merc wasn't exactly abiding by the highway code as well.

I am not for one minute saying that it is right for everyone to queue in one long lane for hundreds and hundreds of yards but the highway code clearly states you should get in the correct lane in good time.

Last edited:
It doesn't need to:

There isn't a sign that says stop at a red light but that's what you're meant to do :p

It also says:

"You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed"

Last edited:
Jono8, you keep banging on about "as signs direct", but none of the signs in the video tell you to merge. They are simply informing you that the lane closes at the specified distance down the road. They do not tell you to merge.

Jono8, you keep banging on about "as signs direct", but none of the signs in the video tell you to merge. They are simply informing you that the lane closes at the specified distance down the road. They do not tell you to merge.

What?

All I am saying is that I sort of semi agree with the quote from that guy who works with temporary traffic management - in that ideally you should try and be in the correct lane a decent distance before lane stops.

Don't get me wrong, obviously both lanes should be used in situations like this and you should merge in turn, but I also think bombing it (probably speeding) up the lane that closes in 200 yards to get in front of the queue isn't the wisest thing to do because whilst you follow the "merge in turn" highway code situation you end up contravening all the other things the highways code says :p. Obviously the Renault driver was much more of a turd and what they did was far more dangerous.

What about the following from the highway code (re roadworks):

"You MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit."

"Use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct."

At the point before the merge occurs there are TWO correct lanes. It is also referring to cases when some lanes have width or weight restrictions etc.

"Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed."

It only says it is recommended if safe to do so.

It's hardly likely to recommend doing it if its unsafe, is it?

I'm not following how we could say that :confused:

I posted it above:

""You MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit." - conjecture but he was clearly going too quick for the situation.

"Do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic." - again conjecture, but odds on he did do this

Also:

"Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.""

What?

All I am saying is that I sort of semi agree with the quote from that guy who works with temporary traffic management - in that ideally you should try and be in the correct lane a decent distance before lane stops.

Don't get me wrong, obviously both lanes should be used in situations like this and you should merge in turn, but I also think bombing (probably speeding) up the lane that closes in 200 yards to get in front of the queue isn't the wisest thing to do because whilst you follow the "merge in turn" highway code situation you end up contravening all the other things the highways code says :p

The guy in traffic management doesn't understand the Highway Code then. You should, and can, be in the correct lane at a decent distance if the traffic is flowing freely - people leaving a suitable gap to the car in front means others can slot in easily. It isn't in this video. He isn't contravening the Highway Code because it explicitly says that approaching roadworks, use merge in turn and that if traffic is moving slower on the right hand lane, you can pass on the left.

The Merc drivers speed differential (you can't just use his speed alone) is, IMO, too high on his approach though - I can agree with you on that :p

[TW]Fox;27945830 said:
At the point before the merge occurs there are TWO correct lanes. It is also referring to cases when some lanes have width or weight restrictions etc.

Oh come on Fox :p

Yes there are two correct lanes, until he hits a load of cones or workmen. What does the "in good time" refer to then? In your scenario there would only be one point you should get into the lane you need to be in -at the point the lane you are in closes, making their comment "in good time" redundant.

Last edited:
I posted it above:

""You MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit." - conjecture but he was clearly going too quick for the situation.

"Do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic." - again conjecture, but odds on he did do this

Also:

"Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.""

Ok, so he was perhaps going a little fast but that's kind of difficult to tell when everything else in the video is unnecessarily static. That said, there was almost certainly no temp speed limit and no evidence he changed lane to avoid a queue.

Oh come on Fox :p

Yes there are two correct lanes, until he hits a load of cones or workmen. What does the "in good time" refer to then?

"get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time" means if you have a high vehicle make sure you're not in the lane with a height restriction (and do it before it becomes an issue) or if you are in a wide vehicle or a HGV make sure your not headed into the single lane contraflow.

It doesn't mean get into one of the two lanes approaching the merge in turn, as you seem to believe, that's why the is a rule saying "Where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn".

Please hand in your drivers license at the nearest police station. The m erg point is at the cones. It doesn't magically move because idiots like yourself move too early. Additionally, he's not "queue jumping" in any manner. The queue doesn't have to stop at all, it only stops because people drive too close and cause everyone to stop.

This is the simplest ******* thing in the world yet you're still refuting it.

Wise up numpty, the drivers in the video have merged well in advance of the cones, regardless of what should have bene done in a text book scenario.

Thus driving down the inside up to the cones and expecting everyone else to slow/stop for you to merge causes more of a hindrance, wheras you could have merged when the traffic was still free flowing. :rolleyes:

The queue doesn't have to stop at all, it only stops because people drive too close and cause everyone to stop.

Again real world situation vs your fantasy world where merge in turn works 100% effectively.

It also says:

"You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed.

According to the signage, the people queuing had not done this in the first place.

In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily.

Again, the people queuing had already changed lanes unnecessarily and caused congestion by merging too soon.

Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed"

There is nothing wrong with using the free lane and merging at the correct point when there is an unnecessary queue in the other lane. Why would that not be appropriate or unsafe?

Wise up numpty, the drivers in the video have merged well in advance of the cones, regardless of what should have bene done in a text book scenario.

Thus driving down the inside up to the cones and expecting everyone else to slow/stop for you to merge causes more of a hindrance, wheras you could have merged when the traffic was still free flowing. :rolleyes:

Again real world situation vs your fantasy world where merge in turn works 100% effectively.

You have no clue. At all.

1. Road works (288)
When the ‘Road Works Ahead’ sign is displayed, you will need to be more watchful and look for additional signs providing more specific instructions. Observe all signs - they are there for your safety and the safety of road workers.

You MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit.
Use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct.
Do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic.
Take extra care near cyclists and motorcyclists as they are vulnerable to skidding on grit, mud or other debris at road works.
Where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134).
Do not drive through an area marked off by traffic cones.
Watch out for traffic entering or leaving the works area, but do not be distracted by what is going on there. Concentrate on the road ahead, not the road works.
Bear in mind that the road ahead may be obstructed by the works or by slow moving or stationary traffic.
Keep a safe distance - there could be queues in front. To obtain further information about road works, see Conversions and further reading.
Law RTRA sect 16

https://www.gov.uk/road-works-level-crossings-tramways-288-to-307/road-works-288

Given there was no signage to merge in turn or queue in both lanes I feel the drivers acted perfectly reasonably by forming a single lane queue.

If however the signs were laid out as follows it'd be a different matter.

SZfM5gf.png

Given there was no signage to merge in turn or queue in both lanes I feel the drivers acted perfectly reasonably by forming a single lane queue.

If however the signs were laid out as follows it'd be a different matter.

SZfM5gf.png

the only reason these signs are now starting to appear is to try and deal with the mess caused by everyone merging just after leaving Penzance for a road closure in Glasgow.

It's pretty sad they've had to resort to enormous signs reminding people not to be daft.

Tell me more good sir such a brilliantly elaborate response. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you're missing the point. The signs do not need to state merge in turn, it's what you should do by default.

The 'get in the correct lane for your vehicle' that you keep highlighing is not really relevant to the discussion as it's more for heavy/high vehicles.

The 'get in the correct lane for your vehicle' that you keep highlighing is not really relevant to the discussion as it's more for heavy/high vehicles.

Quite, most multi-lane contraflows have specific limitations on which vehicles can use which lanes. Hence the correct lane 'for your vehicle'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom