Poll: Merge in turn - why does nobody get it?

Who was in the right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
no, but if people actually merged in turn, it would move better rather than bunching up people should leave bigger gaps, and let people in (1 in, 1 along) that would reduce the speed difference impact, and rather than slowing to a crawl the average speed would just reduce a bit over the road work area and then more quickly/effectively go back up to speed later.

But once a queue has formed for whatever reason and it is obvious that everyone is stationary and patiently waiting, it is pretty bad etiquette to fly down the inside of everyone in a lane that is closed and try to force your way to the front no?

But once a queue has formed for whatever reason and it is obvious that everyone is stationary and patiently waiting, it is pretty bad etiquette to fly down the inside of everyone in a lane that is closed and try to force your way to the front no?

No. It is bad etiquette to exacerbate problems caused by the already long queue (which will eventually block other routes unrelated to this lane closure) by ignorantly joining the back when there is perfectly good space being unfilled.

You mean once the numpties have snarled the road up by not doing it properly, nobody should do it properly?

Race to the bottom!

The point remains, through. The Merc driver was not driving safely.

What he was doing was perfectly safe up until the renault driver decided to cause an obstruction.

No. It is bad etiquette to exacerbate problems caused by the already long queue (which will eventually block other routes unrelated to this lane closure) by ignorantly joining the back when there is perfectly good space being unfilled.

Indeed.

[TW]Fox;27950324 said:
You mean once the numpties have snarled the road up by not doing it properly, nobody should do it properly?

Race to the bottom!

Bingo.

I like to think from the safety behind the computer, I'd be tempted to stand and bang in a situation like this. How does the Renault know someone's not critically injured in the back of the Merc or something?

I like to think from the safety behind the computer, I'd be tempted to stand and bang in a situation like this. How does the Renault know someone's not critically injured in the back of the Merc or something?

I've got to the stage in my life after nearly 17 years of driving that if someone is driving like a tool, or faster than me, or in any way which I deem makes me uncomfortable, I just let them get past me, and not try and take the law in my own hands. I used to get quite ragey but now, I just don't care any more.

So if someone wants to get past, for whatever reason (bigger willy than me, or genuine emergency) I just let them. It's not for me to police the roads - as much as I wish they'd get caught for behaving like idiots I'd far rather worry about my own sphere of influence and ensure my behaviour on the roads doesn't cause issues for others.

I've got to the stage in my life after nearly 17 years of driving that if someone is driving like a tool, or faster than me, or in any way which I deem makes me uncomfortable, I just let them get past me, and not try and take the law in my own hands. I used to get quite ragey but now, I just don't care any more.

So if someone wants to get past, for whatever reason (bigger willy than me, or genuine emergency) I just let them. It's not for me to police the roads - as much as I wish they'd get caught for behaving like idiots I'd far rather worry about my own sphere of influence and ensure my behaviour on the roads doesn't cause issues for others.

My point exactly, it's definitely something that comes with experience and the need to spend long periods of time on the roads. With the amount of time I spend in the car, if I was getting ragey every time something stupid happened I'd end up having a cardiac incident before too long!

He didn't drive down a lane that was closed, though :confused:

How is it unsafe? Did he exceed the lane boundary? No. Was it unslightly? Perhaps. Was it dangerous? No.

It was dangerous because he was taking an unnecessary amount of risk and could have easily caused an accident.

It is not safe to violently swerve to try and overtake someone. It's pretty stupid and petty.

Were you in the Renault?

:confused:

I'm not saying that the Renault driver was correct. He was not.

I am saying the Merc driver is also at fault for driving like a numpty. Not for using the lane, but for swerving.

You don't seem to have a convincing argument as to why swerving to overtake is ok ...

Last edited:
:confused:

I'm not saying that the Renault driver was correct. He was not.

I am saying that to think the Merc driver is also at fault for driving like a numpty. Not for using the lane, but for swerving.

You don't seem to have a convincing argument as to why swerving to overtake is ok ...

He's obviously trolling or has never driven on public roads before

Still can't believe there are folks, on a motoring board of all places, still saying the Merc driver is the one at fault.

There really aren't many tbh.

Most are saying that the Renault diver is at fault but the Merc driver isn't completely faultless, in that he was driving like an idiot once the Reanult had blocked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom