Merion erazer beast x25

Associate
Can you guys comment on the panel used in this laptop what colours are like and is there lots of backlight bleed also what are speakers and battery life like.?
I'm thinking of getting the 3070 version.
Thanks.

Soldato
Hi ianh, thanks for all the information you have supplied in this thread. I am looking at this laptop and just wondered how you are getting on with it now after a month or so of owning it? how does it perform when just browsing web doing office based tasks, ie is it quiet?

It's pretty fast for a laptop, I'm still running stock CPU (no PBO or negative curve etc) and the 5800H hits 4.4Ghz all day long. I've got a modified laptop cooling thing with two 120mm 240v fans attached and other than benchmarking, I've never to use the fans at all.

I'm using a 4k Samsung QLED TV as my monitor and even at 4k the noise when gaming isn't "that" loud, but it is noticeable when the fans ramp up during gaming. For everyday use, web browsing etc there are no noticeable issues I can find, the fans almost never ramp up so it's very quiet and I'm still extremely happy with it.

Can you guys comment on the panel used in this laptop what colours are like and is there lots of backlight bleed also what are speakers and battery life like.?

Speakers aren't great but they are adequate and go quite loud, battery life is about 7hrs of web browsing etc, much shorter when gaming (like <2hrs) which is to be expected with a 8C 16T CPU and 165W GPU in a fairly thin chassis.

Associate
Anyone able to comment on the 3070?
It's advertised as full fat, its cheaper than my A15 RTX3070 and looks to offer more power.
My girl is curious but not up on tech and I can't find anything but reviews on the 3080.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Soldato
I've had a Medion Erazer previously (GTX-1070) and found it pretty good until it blew a GPU component a few months after warranty.

Bought Nov 2018.

Dead Sep 2020.

18 month warranty I think. I had hoped it was 2 years, but no.

Medion were very good in collecting it and attempting repair, but they said the motherboard was no longer available and therefore nothing they could do.

It just powered off while gaming once and I smelled a faint burning smell. Opened it to see a component near the GPU had melted.

Now I like to buy 36 month warranties on laptops, so fingers crossed!

Associate
Anyone able to comment on the 3070?
It's advertised as full fat, its cheaper than my A15 RTX3070 and looks to offer more power.
My girl is curious but not up on tech and I can't find anything but reviews on the 3080.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Same here - I can't justify the price increase of almost £500-600 for the 3080 model when the 3070 model doesn't look that far behind on paper.. Would be great to see some results from soneone owning a 3070 model, particularly 3D Mark..

Associate
Can anyone confirm that the display screen for the Erazer X25 actually supports G-SYNC? It is mentioned in the Overclockers product information but I can't find confirmation within Medion's website.

Also, any comments on backlight bleed would be welcome.

Associate
Just so you know guys you can buy Legion 7 with 5800H and 16GB RTX 3080 with awesome 1600p screen for £1849 and if you have old device to trade in they will drop it by another £150 at least.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone confirm that the display screen for the Erazer X25 actually supports G-SYNC? It is mentioned in the Overclockers product information but I can't find confirmation within Medion's website.

It's mentioned on a few other sellers websites too but having had a look at mine, as the primary display "card" is the AMD APU and I don't have a second display on hand to use, I can't force the Nvidia Control Panel to display the extra display options where G-Sync would normally be displayed (as the APU is still the primary card) leaving me with just a basic menu, so I can't tell unfortunately.

zpjs96h.png

I know the top of the range version of the X25, with it's R9 5800HX CPU and 240hz display, definitely doesn't have it as reported by several testing sites.

Also, any comments on backlight bleed would be welcome.

It's adequate, not amazing, certainly not bad, just OK.

Soldato
You will only get all the options if you have a mux switch and it is set to use the dedicated gpu.

Yeap, had to go into the BIOS and select dGPU only operation to get the CP to work correctly, even a second monitor wouldn't work unless it's a G-Sync one.

Can anyone confirm that the display screen for the Erazer X25 actually supports G-SYNC?

Now checked after getting the Nvidia stuff working and there is NO G-Sync options available using the latest 471.96 drivers with this 1440p 165Hz screen. So I'd suggest yet another "miscommunication" between seller and store just like the "165W TGP of the 3080 GPU" from factory when in fact it isn't etc.

Associate

Thanks for the confirmation on the backlight bleed

Now checked after getting the Nvidia stuff working and there is NO G-Sync options available using the latest 471.96 drivers with this 1440p 165Hz screen. So I'd suggest yet another "miscommunication" between seller and store just like the "165W TGP of the 3080 GPU" from factory when in fact it isn't etc.

Thank you again for confirming the G-SYNC situation. I find it strange how few models within the gaming laptop sector support G-SYNC for their display screens. The only laptop manufacturers I've seen that utilise G-SYNC for laptops released in 2021 are Lenovo, Dell and Acer.

Associate
It's mentioned on a few other sellers websites too but having had a look at mine, as the primary display "card" is the AMD APU and I don't have a second display on hand to use, I can't force the Nvidia Control Panel to display the extra display options where G-Sync would normally be displayed (as the APU is still the primary card) leaving me with just a basic menu, so I can't tell unfortunately.

zpjs96h.png

I know the top of the range version of the X25, with it's R9 5800HX CPU and 240hz display, definitely doesn't have it as reported by several testing sites.

Any luck enabling GSync with the new drivers?

Back
Top Bottom