Meta > Facebook...

Caporegime
The market is a bit bigger than average consumer. A lot of the mega tech/consulting firms are buying VR headsets to facilitate virtual in-person workshops thanks to the WFH revolution COVID drove. £3k a pop is pennies if it lasts a few years.
I'm sure the average person at these firms knows or wants to learn VR crap.

trying to connect people with a technology that will make everyone feel the opposite

Man of Honour
Have any of you seen the PR videos they have put out the last week or so? They are about as cringe as it gets. Forced interactions that seem un-human, mega wavy hand gestures that seem un-human and a dead tone in language. I don't know if this is on purpose or they are somehow appealing to the target demo of chronic social media users who lack social awareness...

Check it out:

19:53 - "Check this out"
Sword flies across screen
"OMG WOW"

Last edited:
Soldato
Have any of you seen the PR videos they have put out the last week or so? They are about as cringe as it gets. Forced intercations that seem un-human, mega wavy hand gestures that seem un-human and a dead tone in language. I don't know if this is on purpose or they are somehow appealing to the target demo of chronic social media users who lack social awareness...

Check it out:

"OMG WOW"

Yeah the big takeaway was that this dude is an uber-billionaire but uses hot sauce as a book-end.

It is also sounded a huge amount like Habbo Hotel/ Animal Crossing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Have any of you seen the PR videos they have put out the last week or so? They are about as cringe as it gets. Forced interactions that seem un-human, mega wavy hand gestures that seem un-human and a dead tone in language. I don't know if this is on purpose or they are somehow appealing to the target demo of chronic social media users who lack social awareness...

Check it out:

"OMG WOW"

The fact they disabled comments on all their videos for that channel kind of tells you what sort of reaction they're expecting, but they'll go on regardless.

Soldato
It will just fail unless it's bringing solutions to real world problems. VR stuff is just temporary.

You are in the real world stop trying to be in some stupid virtual thing.

Wake up.
Says the man tapping away at his keyboard to send voltages to a central server :cry: you're using glorified Morse code old boy!

V F

V F

Soldato
The fact they disabled comments on all their videos for that channel kind of tells you what sort of reaction they're expecting, but they'll go on regardless.

It has no likes or dislikes either for 1.1 million views.

Caporegime
If it's even remotely flexible enough to emulate a real environment, then I think it won't take long before it's abused to let people play out their anti-social/immoral/violent fantasies... Facebook is psychologically damaging enough without turning it up several orders of magnitude.

But I guess it wouldn't really be postmodern if we didn't do everything we possibly could to destroy ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom