Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Soldato
Why would you cheer the fact that they sold the game incomplete and they're going to sell you the last chapter separately? :p

I'm a huge MGS fan, but I think even I would boycott that ******** :p

Associate
lol they definitely won't finish that (who's even there to finish it?). They just want to milk all they can from Kojima's left overs before they go full pachinko.

Soldato
I've only just started playing this since getting in the recent steam sales. Haven't played a metal gear game since PS2 days I think.

Righto then, and sorry to shout but WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON? I'm baffled. This has to be one of the most bizarre, mentally ill openings to any game I've ever played. Floating women in gas masks and some sort of man on fire prancing about, with so many cut scenes trying far too hard to impress with 'cinematography', it feels a bit pathetic. Who am I? Why can I sometimes hear Kiefer Sutherland's voice from the man with the bandaged head, but then from 'me' also? Can anyone offer any sanity, or guidance?

Caporegime
I've only just started playing this since getting in the recent steam sales. Haven't played a metal gear game since PS2 days I think.

Righto then, and sorry to shout but WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON? I'm baffled. This has to be one of the most bizarre, mentally ill openings to any game I've ever played. Floating women in gas masks and some sort of man on fire prancing about, with so many cut scenes trying far too hard to impress with 'cinematography', it feels a bit pathetic. Who am I? Why can I sometimes hear Kiefer Sutherland's voice from the man with the bandaged head, but then from 'me' also? Can anyone offer any sanity, or guidance?

The beginning is one of the better story-telling bits of the game, I have to say. Don't worry tho, after the first hour there is almost no story, and the cut-scenes are spaced so far apart you might see one every 20 hours.

Soldato
As above, the narrative fades into the background fairly quickly (unless you listen to the cassette tapes) so you're just left with a sparse, open-world of repetitive missions to grind through until you get bored.

Soldato
Well, I've just got past the mentally ill 'intro' / ludicrous cut scenes and am now on a horse in Afghanistan. Still absolutely no idea who I am, or what's going on - but the look and feel of the game and gameplay is very nice!

I think I will persist, but have I missed something or does it rely on you having played all the previous games and following the story? I haven't so am I basically screwed on that score?

Soldato
Well, I've just got past the mentally ill 'intro' / ludicrous cut scenes and am now on a horse in Afghanistan. Still absolutely no idea who I am, or what's going on - but the look and feel of the game and gameplay is very nice!

I think I will persist, but have I missed something or does it rely on you having played all the previous games and following the story? I haven't so am I basically screwed on that score?

I have played all previous games in the series except Snake Eater and the story is so convoluted I don't have a ****ing clue what it's all about, I am a bit thick though. :o

Soldato
Except Snake Eater?.... That's the best one!

As I've said previously, I think this game might have the best gameplay ever imo. It is a shame they didn't wrap up the story well though. It was still my GOTY though, based on the gameplay.

Last edited:
Soldato

It ties into all of them in some way but it essentially continues on from Peace Walker, which is probably the least-played one in the entire series. For some reason they decided that open-world trumped narrative and immersion and that was that.

Soldato
Snake Eater is absolutely superb (those bosses!), one of the best games I've ever played in terms of atmosphere/story.

The narrative does indeed take a backseat in PP but the gameplay and details are simply fantastic. I found the tapes interesting as well. I agree with some of the complaints but I still got my money's worth and then some.

Soldato
Well I don't have a game on atm, so I might give this another go actually. See how it holds up on a second playthrough.

I'll go through Ground Zeroes and see if I can get in the mood.

Edit - my god I forgot how mad the beginning is. Even more so when you know how it ends. I really wish Kojima had been allowed to make the game he wanted!

Last edited:
Soldato
I just wanted a few more unique locations.

I wonder where the third chapter would have gone. Another short chapter based in one location like ground zeroes, but with a big building to infiltrate would have been the perfect ending.

I know a lot of people blame the game going open world for a lot of failings but I don't think that is the case tbh.

Back
Top Bottom