Metro Last Light - Thread

Permabanned
OP
I didnt, was that DLC also ?

Not even sure what ranger mode is, it appears to be just a "hard" mode, if that's the case it should definitely be included in the game, and not sold for £4.

My friend however says its supposed to be game changing and much more immersive, no HUD, 1 hit kills, altered AI, adds more atmosphere etc, whether that's true or not i don't know.

Your mate is right, it strips the HUD and is essentially a extremely difficult mode. The history with Ranger is that it wasn't in the base game of 2033. It was offered afterwards as free DLC for the PC and because of certification practises on the XBOX it cost 240MSP.

When Koch Media acquired the rights to buy Metro LL the game was completed. Now Deep Silver (Publishers) for Metro knew about Ranger HC but as they wanted to ship the game with as little delay as possible they inherited THQ's bad marketing pre-order incentive as they couldn't reverse those who already pre-ordered the game on Steam or from the THQ store by including it in the game for everyone else (legalities). They also had administration, Logistical stuff etc to organise.

Instead Deep Silver offered an additional Digital Comic, 10% off for those who already had 2033 and included Metro 2033 digital book for USA only.

The fault is not Deep Silvers and if they wanted to they could delay the game by 8 months and done things their way but patience is never a virtue with gamers.

If you like the look of the game and the reviews are good then I say buy it. You never know Deep Silver may offer those who pre-ordered free DLC for missions 4A have been working on after the game went Gold as a form of recompense.

However, if you think that Deep Silver should have done something more in the short time they had when the transition from THQ was made then wait for a Steam sale.

Here's another interesting fact too:

M2033 steam achievements:

Survivor
Complete the game in Ranger Mode Easy.

1.5% of all players

Last Man Standing
Complete the game in Ranger Mode Hardcore.

1.4% of all players

;)

Permabanned
OP
Just spotted this post from Andy at Neogaf (NVIDIA Guy)

My SLI TITANs have about 90% scaling on the new driver we'll be releasing tomorrow, though of course it varies per scene, per computer, per GPU, per architecture.

So new Drivers hitting tomorrow and the scaling looks good. :D

Permabanned
OP
Just finished the intro and Benchmarks. Uploading some pics now, but this game is a beaut!!!

i5 3750K 4.6Ghz|16Gb 2200Mhz RAM| SLI GTX670 WF 1280Mhz/1880 Mem Clock| Samsung S27A750D 1080p|

7HwFoTv.png
g67rP1T.png
mF51lPk.png

Screenshots of Benchmark

To Follow

Permabanned
OP
got it as well enjoyed 2033 , not sure if you dont know russian would if it will be interesting if u set in russian , as im good at russian i do russian speech and english subtitles. but it should be played in russian langue

Lucky sod as the English voice overs are ****. They've changed Arytom's voice :(

Permabanned
OP
FOV - I come with news from 4A. Wish it had been sooner, these things can get lost in translation -

We're aware the community have been asking for a 'Field of View' slider for Metro: Last Light. Unfortunately, this was not as simple a thing to implement as it might appear!

The main reason for maintaining a fixed FOV is because we have 3D elements like the watch and weapon ammo that need to remain visible.

In addition, all the game's first-person cut scenes and cinematics and each and every animation involving Artyom's hands - idle weapon animations, reloads, ladder climbing, melee attacks etc, - were created assuming the same, fixed field of view.

Changing the FOV would break all the cut-scenes and animations - you would be able to see inside Artyom's arms, or they would appear to float in the air in front of you. Or worse.

We had considered offering three FOV pre-sets, but this would still require significant work to re-do every animation, adjust the HUD and UI and other seemingly small but incredibly time consuming tasks.

Even with a wider but still fixed field of view, Artyom's hands would look too far away. We know - we tried.

Game performance is also tied to FOV - the amount of geometric detail we put in each scene has been partly determined by this set FOV, and setting a wider FOV would have a performance impact.

We understand this issue is important to many people, and we have been looking at possible solutions.

In the immediate term - the next title update, due in the next few days will allow you to directly change the FOV in the .cfg files.

This may well trigger a number of issues listed above - you have been warned!

- 4A Games

NeoGAF - View Single Post - Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

Permabanned
OP
Depends entirely on your rig to how well it will run / what settings you can use. What have you got?

I'm playing on Very High Pre-set, PhysX ON, 16X AF, SSAA X2, Motion Blur Low and I get around 70-90FPS in game so far.

Specs
i5 3750K 4.6Ghz|16Gb 2200Mhz RAM| SLI GTX670 WF 1280Mhz/1880 Mem Clock| Samsung S27A750D 1080p|

Running the Benchmark I get:
mF51lPk.png

Permabanned
OP
I'm trying to find out how many DLC missions are planned and what other DLC's Deep Silver will bring out. It will be interesting to see sales figures and whether this game could have saved THQ.

One thing I can tell you for certain though is that for the next Metro game there will be better pre-order incentives and none of this stripping difficulty settings BS. ;)

Permabanned
OP
4A games to release a "FOV solution" in the next few days.

This is what i hate about some developers, i love the fact they are adding FOV options, BUT....

Developer has said previously its not allowed editing of the FOV cause it would be very difficult to implement into the game. The dev then proceeds and creates a patch for it in a day or two? what the ****

WHY NOT DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/15/met...oming-with-title-update-in-the-next-few-days/

Have you actually read the article?
Did you not read that editing the FOV can cause problems?

Permabanned
OP
Props to 4A for creating one of the best visually looking games in such dire conditions, and shame on THQ and Jason Rubin who was the president of the company for not making a better working climate for one of the finest gaming studios. Bizarre Article...read below

Former THQ president details atrocious working conditions at Metro: Last Light dev 4A Games

Former THQ president Jason Rubin, who joined the struggling company in 2012, has submitted a story to GamesIndustry International detailing adversities faced by Ukrainian developer 4A Games while developing Metro: Last Light, painting the team as underdogs who struggled against dreadful working conditions, a low budget, and unrealistic expectations.

“Let’s be honest: 4A was never playing on a level field,” writes Rubin. “The budget of Last Light is less than some of its competitors spend on cut scenes, a mere 10 percent of the budget of its biggest competitors.” On top of that, Rubin laments the “irrational requirement of THQ’s original producers to fit multiplayer and co-op into the same deadline and budget.”

It gets worse. According to Rubin, the team “sat on folding wedding chairs, literally elbow to elbow at card tables in what looks more like a packed grade school cafeteria than a development studio.” Dev kits and high-end PCs had to be smuggled into Ukraine in backpacks to avoid the sticky hands of “thieving customs officials.” Pile on frequent power outages and broken government-run heating which frequently led to below-freezing working conditions, and Rubin says that 4A’s success is equivalent to that of the Jamaican bobsledding team which finished ahead of the US in the 1994 Olympics.

It’s a harrowing story, and I doubt anyone outside of Ukrainian customs officials would want it to go untold, though Rubin oddly spends a good portion of his text justifying its telling. “If you care about the art of making games then you have to care about more than the final product,” he writes. “The struggle and the journey becomes part of the story. Like sport, you cheer when the underdog comes from behind, and triumphs in the face of incredible odds.”

Who doesn’t love an underdog story—and why are we just hearing about it now, months after THQ dissolved? According to Rubin, 4A’s story hasn’t been told in as much detail until now due to “a combination of a complex and secretive industry, a press that lags the movie and music press in calling attention to the stories behind the games, a dysfunctional and ever-changing sequence of producers causing confusion, the inevitable anonymity that comes from being an Eastern European developer, and a new, last minute publisher that doesn’t see the upside in doing your team’s publicity.”

That new publisher is Koch Media (known better to us as Deep Silver, its game publishing wing), which purchased the publishing rights to the Metro franchise after THQ’s bankruptcy. Deep Silver PR representative Aubrey Norris reacted to Rubin’s criticism, tweeting: “I love when @Jason_Rubin runs his mouth about things at other companies he knows NOTHING about. Solid guy.”

Rubin responded, pointing out 4A’s near invisibility on the official Metro: Last Light website, which Norris says is due to time constraints and the complexity of assuming control of THQ’s assets over the past four months. According to Norris, Deep Silver concentrated on the critical task of “making the game live.”

Rubin’s timing and criticism of Deep Silver and the press suggest larger motives than simply telling 4A’s story, but Twitter bickering aside, we’re glad it was told. Have a read of our Metro: Last Light review for more on the impressive game, and read Rubin’s full editorial at GamesIndustry International.

Former THQ president details atrocious working conditions at Metro: Last Light dev 4A Games | News | PC Gamer

Permabanned
OP
When you go into the menu whilst in game and go back into the game there is horizontal flickering. Imagine recording your monitor with a camera and you see horizontal black lines as the refresh rate is out of sync.

However what solves this is if you load the Steam pop up by pressing ALT and SHIFT or TAB I think and closing it again and it disappears

Permabanned
OP
Yep, hense why i said

"not allowed editing of the FOV cause it would be very difficult to implement into the game."

So...if its so hard and causes so many problems and its not really "possible" how come they can provide a solution 2 days after release?

FOV isnt even an issue for me, Im just saying with a little more thought and effort, they could have added this solution before release.

Would have made TotalBiscuit very happy anyway.

After reading the conditions 4A work in I'm glad we actually got a game lol
Deep Silver will treat them right now and give them resources, (finance, man power etc). It seems a right ****hole working in the Ukraine.

Also it's not a solution, it's a compromise what 4A are providing. A proper solution would solve the issue with the FOV without any problems.

Permabanned
OP
A patch to address issues with ATI cards is now live on Steam. Restart your client if it doesn't download automatically.

https://twitter.com/MetroVideoGame/status/334969012557602816

New update: AMD fixes and FOV
A patch has been released on Steam to fix issues with AMD hardware, and improve performance for these cards. It's live now, but might take a few minutes to reach everyone. Restart your client or verify local files if it doesn't download automatically.

It also fixes a shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards, and fixes an issue with the game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TVs.

In addition, you can now customize the FOV this way:

After starting the game up, the user.cfg will be updated with the r_base_fox attribute. You can find this in %LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\. Tweak it at your leisure!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/810924774395015649/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom