Poll: Mexican Grand Prix 2017, Mexico City - Race 18/20

Rate the 2017 Mexican Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Congratulations to Hamilton on the WDC. The best guy won, and it was great to see him having fun at the end.

The first lap incident was all a bit of a concertina for me. Verstappen squeezed Hamilton, Hamilton had to ease out and Vettel just got caught out. The margins were tiny and just a racing incident, but had a big affect on the race, though it at least gave us something to watch. That said, Vettel needed a clean race more than anyone, and he isn't exactly helping himself by getting tangled up with others.

Lots of DRS and not an awful lot of great racing, but it wasn't bad. 5/10 if it wasn't for Hamilton's and Vettel's semi-entertaining drives through the field, and Alonso's awesome attempted defence gets it an extra vote - 7/10.

6 Renault-powered cars started the race. 2 finished. 33% finishing rate.
2 Honda-powered cars started the race. 2 finished. 100% finishing rate.

Who powers Alonso next year?

On the first bit, literally every single first lap of every single race is a bit of a concertina, Hamilton went extremely wide, he left plenty of space. Vettel knew going into the corner that both the other two drivers had a better line and would be going wide(as Vettel was wide in t2 because Max was inside him so he had the worst possible line for t3. Basically only an amateur driver imo, wouldn't take that corner slower knowing that if he went hard from a tight angle he'd understeer hard.

Hamilton managed to avoid Verstappen and Verstappen was moving across him as he had ever right to do Hamilton backed out, but I could see that coming a million miles away, how could Vettel. That was a normal start of a race where you have to take slight avoiding action. Hamilton had a much more difficult and closer call, Vettel had really no excuse for being where he was and honestly, it feels like it was on purpose. Fact is while Brundle says he doesn't know the wing got tagged because he can't see the front wing, that doesn't matter, the shards of carbon fibre flying all over Vettel's cockpit tells him 100% certainly that his wing got damaged.

As for the Renault vs Honda, it was one race. Even if it was a disastrous weekend for Renault, in which they simply turned down their engines less(according to Ted's notebook) than Ferrari and Mercedes, they are no where near as bad as Mclaren. Mclaren are actually on what, engine 12 for one car, 11 for the other maybe, or 12 for both maybe, whatever. Most of the Renault cars are on engine 5 or 6. The Renault engine wasn't 'bad' this weekend, there is no fundamental fault, just Merc said, with this air/altitude we'll turn down to 96% max power to keep them from dying, both Merc and Ferrari went to 93%(numbers just to make the point). If Renault went to 93%, no failures. The cars with likely the cheapest/worst cooling, the TR, had the most issues. IT was likely borderline as well because Max won the race without issues while all the other cars had to deal with hotter air from other cars and that was enough to basically kill 4 of them. Honda had trash engines all year that killed themselves, Renault were not great, but far closer to Merc/Ferrari than they were Mclaren, one minor screw up messed up Mexico. Next year they turn down the engines the extra 2% and Vandoorne has used twice as many engines as almost every other Renault car... it's incomparable.

Soldato
Congratulations to Hamilton on the WDC. The best guy won, and it was great to see him having fun at the end.

Not sure the crowd were bothered though; lots of cheering, but the crowd weren't reacting in the grandstands at all. Someone suggested canned cheering a race or 2 back, but surely that can't be the case? Mind you, after that bloody eagle in Texas I'll believe anything.

The first lap incident was all a bit of a concertina for me. Verstappen squeezed Hamilton, Hamilton had to ease out and Vettel just got caught out. The margins were tiny and just a racing incident, but had a big affect on the race, though it at least gave us something to watch. That said, Vettel needed a clean race more than anyone, and he isn't exactly helping himself by getting tangled up with others.

Lots of DRS and not an awful lot of great racing, but it wasn't bad. 5/10 if it wasn't for Hamilton's and Vettel's semi-entertaining drives through the field, and Alonso's awesome attempted defence gets it an extra vote - 7/10.

6 Renault-powered cars started the race. 2 finished. 33% finishing rate.
2 Honda-powered cars started the race. 2 finished. 100% finishing rate.

Who powers Alonso next year?

Lots in here I can agree with.

Firstly, Liberty Media - canned crowd noise again, for the second time this season? Please, if it must be done then at least do it well. It was awful!

Agreed on the Vettel vs Hamilton clash too. Vettel had everything to lose, and I think he just made a tiny mis-judgment in clinging on to the belief he might make the pass further ahead.

I've enjoyed a lot more of F1 in 2017 than I have in the previous few years. A lot more competition at the front - just a pity that Red Bull didn't bring it at the beginning of the season and that Ferrari couldn't sustain it in the second half of the season. Mercedes were more consistent than the others, and Hamilton was the most consistent driver on the grid this year. Fully deserved his WDC.

The future of F1 is looking bright at the moment. Three years of reasonably consistent rules, performance now becoming closer than ever since the V6 era began, and some great new drivers on the grid. Plus, I haven't seen a quote from Eccleston for a good few weeks. All positive :)

Associate
How many times did they make Kimi give up his place for Seb?

That wasn't my point.

Kimi hasn't beaten Bottas with the frequency Vettel has. If he did, he'd be finishing on the podium behind Seb and not 4th or 5th.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did Hamilton's car sustain damage beyond the puncture? That would explain why he did not make up as many places as Vettel.

Significant diffuser damage, really crappy photo from Ted's phone, somehow in all the video/camera coverage no one took a look at the back of that car to show the damage to viewers.

Soldato
Well done Lewis.

I'm sure it wasn't the way he would have liked this race to pan out, but becoming a four-time world champion no doubt alleviates the pain. :cool:

Caporegime
Vettel is past his best, but might have a season left in him if his car has advantage.

Vettel isn't past his best; he was just never all that good. Better than most, sure, but a way behind Alonso and Lewis and a good chunk behind Riccardo and now Max too. If he hadn't has the fortune to get that car at that time he'd be remembered as one of those intermittently fast but erratic drivers like Kvyat.

Permabanned
I think the Ferrari engine is on a par now, minus quail performance. Red bull and mclaren have a stronger chassis. Will be interesting next year.

Mercedes have the full package though - reliability, strategy, a solid team. They just need a better 2nd driver.

Ferrari's engine isn't on par with Mercedes. Proof, see Canada and Italy results.

Man of Honour
Congrats to Lewis on a well deserved 4th title. Not the way I would have liked for him to win it but there you go. Vettel/Ferrari still being helped by FIA I see. That turn three collision with Lewis looked intentional to me. He had already trashed his front wing so had nothing to loose by taking out Hamiltons tyre. He should have had a penalty for that and definately should have got one for passing Massa off the track especially as Grosjean did for doing something similar.

McLaren get's Renault engines next year and has now jinxed them. Honda comes good in 2018 and Alonso goes into meltdown. :D:p:D

Man of Honour
Some of the worst commentary from brundle and Cristy yet. I really don't like Crofty since joining sky, he has become an arrogant arse.

So I guess Vettel is the crashkid once again? It certainly has been a messy season from him.

I really like the interaction between max and Lewis - they seem to get on well (for now).

Man of Honour
Arise Sir Lewis?

Doubt it. Considering how much money the motorsport industry brings to the UK, it's rarely recognised.

We got Sir Jackie Stewart and Sir Stirling Moss, eventually. But no Sir John Surtees. And no Sir Murray Walker! :eek:

The biggest issue imo is that its got to go through a sporting honours committee that's lead by Lord Seb Coe... I wondered why did so many olympians get knighted after 2012 and 2016.

Back
Top Bottom